4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 10, 2011 9:28 PM by TMcNasty RSS

My Pro HD internet viewing works, but not at work. Workarounds?

TMcNasty

I haven't had my unit plugged in for a year since my job seemed to have blocked it. When I saw I could connect to it thru slingbox.com I thought for sure all this firewall mess was behind us so I set it back up the other day.

I know my internet viewing works. My friend used his home PC to test it. It doesn't work at my job though! IIIRC we use port 5001 by default. I doubt I can get it opened. Can the Slingbox be set to use a more common port that might be open? And why can't slingbox.com act as the proxy to get around firewalls? C'mon Sling defeat te firewalls once and for all!

• Re: My Pro HD internet viewing works, but not at work. Workarounds?
          TMcNasty

37 views over 2 days and not even one suggestion? Wow. I guess this thing is going on eBay. Can't I just set this thing to use port 80 or something?

Apprentice

Hi TMcNasty,

If you are not able to connect to the Slingbox but just from a computer at work, check this link

Using the SlingPlayer Behind a Company Firewall

Also you can confirm with your IT department so they can take a look on the network and the computer settings and restrictions.

Regards

TMcNasty

I fixed my ProHD!!! For the record this is Verizon FiOS w/ the Actiontec router in the picture.

A guy I work with helped me figure it out after his new ProHD (yeah he bought one knowing mine didn't work) stopped working after 1-2 days of working at our job. I've attached a screenshot.

We setup remote admin of our routers so we could get into them at work. After his stopped working he cleared everything out of his except for the next to last entry in the image. Then his unit worked again. However, when he connected to his ProHD again he saw that the unit seemed to write a second entry into the router firewall port forwarding area. The one boxed in red.

When both of these entries are present his box will NOT stream video to our workplace! While still logged into the router and Slingplayer (or Slingbox.com) if we deleted the second entry the streaming would work when we clicked retry. Amazing!!!

We're not sure why our units are trying to create/recreate entries already present on the router, but the fix is simple. Just disable the second entry (boxed in red). You do this oddly enough by unchecking it and then clicking the 'enable' button at the bottom. This 'enables' the current setup (which is the last one unchecked) and it will be disabled. Once you do this the ProHD won't try to recreate the last entry...it just uses the entry above it perfectly!!!

Does anyone at Sling know why the box would throw in this conflicting/defective entry with one already present?

Furthermore...any idea why my box was reachable on other networks, but not my work network? Seems like w/ the two entries it shoulda worked everywhere or nowhere.