6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 21, 2010 1:43 AM by mikeybery RSS

Setting up Slingplayer to work through 3G (not wifi)

mikeybery

Hi All

I'd be really grateful for some help. Can't seem to sort my Slingplayer (on iPhone 4 with O2). I can get it working through wifi. My modem is a sky one (sagem st2504) and therefore I can't use the auto advanced installation feature.

I'm taking it I should be able to view my slingbox (a new HD) through 3G and O2 don't block slingbox through 3G and yet I just can't seem to make it work. I've tried to delete and reinstall the app and reset the modem / slingbox...

Anyone have any other bright ideas?

Thanks very much!

• Re: Setting up Slingplayer to work through 3G (not wifi)
          jimfitzgerald Apprentice

I don't think there is any difference in the install and setup for 3G vs WIFI.  At least with my Droid there wasn't.  Use your laptop first to make sure you have yourSlingbox setup correctly for viewing with SlingPlayer and over the internet.

mikeybery

hi jim - i'm working fine through the internet on my laptop. i'm also working fine on my iphone through wifi. i'm not able to go through 3G though and i'm at a loss to figure out why. one of the things i saw suggested i needed to sort out "port forwarding" of my router. i'm trying to do this - have followed instructions on another forum but no joy - indeed the port checker still suggests the port i've allocated (a usual 5001) is still not forwarding correctly... any more ideas?

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

Just to be sure...are you saying you can take your laptop and your phone away from home and connect to your Slingbox using the internet?  If so, I would think you have your port forwarding set up correctly.

mikeybery

hi jim. i haven't yet taken the laptop away from home - i'm still trying to do it through my home network and am testing it thrugh the setup slingbox tool. i know now (well it looks like) from the portchecker tool that my portforwarding is working ok.... port 5001. i'm convinced it has something to do with firewalls on the router settings despite the fact that it looks like it's set up ok...

i don't know whether you know this particular modem, but it's one of the ones for which there is no setup guide (helpfu)!

anyhow. any other ideas - it still seems like i've not got it sorted through 3g... any other idea would be awesome! thanks for your help so far!

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

I am no expert, but I suggest you work only with your laptop first to make sure everything is setup properly.  As I understand, you are able to connect your laptop through your home network using the SllingPlayer software and WIFI.  That does not mean you can connect your laptop through the internet.  Try logging your laptop on via slingbox.com.  If you can, then you know you have the internet connection and port forwarding, etc. setup correctly.  If you cannot, then there lies your problem.  Once you get the laptop able to log on via the internet, then see what you can do with your IPhone.

mikeybery

ok.... so the answer it seems (as i've now fixed it) was port forwarding. my suggested solution for everyone is to have a look at some of the guides that there are on the setup helper - they provide useful information even though you may not have exactly the same kind of modem - i had a look at the netgear guide as my modem's setup page (a sagem sky router) is very similar to what i used to have with my netgear. and hey presto. it's all about port forwarding. job done. working on wifi, working on 3g.

thanks for your help jim.