7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 5, 2011 4:20 PM by jimfitzgerald RSS

Initial Solo setup when "remote" laptop is not present

kano

I am purchasing a Solo to "Sling" CATV from Portland, OR to the Philippines.

I have already arrived in the Philippines with my laptop.

Family will set up the Solo in Portland for me.

What will I have to do (software, configuring, etc.) to the laptop to be functional?

Dan 

• Re: Initial Solo setup when "remote" laptop is not present
          callanish Apprentice

Unfortunately, you'll need someone at your slingbox location in Portland with a computer to install the slingbox software and run the initial slingbox setup procedure for you to start watching your slingbox remotely in the Philippines. You can't do this initial setup remotely, but once that's done though, it should be a matter of you logging into your slingbox account without too much effort on your part to watch your slingbox from either your browser with a plugin or installing the slingplayer software and start watching your solo through that. If you have relatives that aren't very tech knowledgable, you could always install and run remote access software on their laptop (logmein), take over that laptop remotely at the slingbox location from the Philippines, and install the initial setup that way.

kano

So once the Portland computer completes the account & setup, that computer is no longer required, only the connection to the internet (& interconnect to CATV box) are required?

callanish Apprentice

Correct. Once your family has setup the slingbox using a computer on the Portland side for remote use, it will no longer be required and you should be good to go. All you need to do is login to your sling account. You can check your slingbox to see if you have any running warning issues here.

http://support.slingbox.com/go/home

Just F.Y.I, I had a problem that came up on this support page due to incorrectly port forwarding my router to work with my slingcatcher. I had setup the slingbox with UNPNP automatic port forwarding rather than manual port forwarding and it created network connection issues. If, for some reason, you can't connect to your slingbox, it could be that your family chose UNPNP automatic port forwarding when setting up the slingbox, rather than manual port fowarding and your router in Portland doesn't support UNPNP or it hasn't been activated. Slingmedia has a support page to help with port forwarding your router to work with your slingbox here.

http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-2000068.html

If your family has any issues with setting up the slingbox, then repost here and we'll try to help them.

kano

Thank you so much!

Dan

klier1747

Hey you may be the guy! First one that I found made any sense. My family installed a  Slingbox in Cali and I am here in Baguio City Philippines, hoping to get it up and running by start of the NFL-this Thursday. She has successfully installed and able to watch from two locations inside the house-when I login I get the dreaded W202 error code message about weak internet connection. Is your fix the same for me? I haven't been able to determine if somebody else, outside my family's house is able to watch yet.

Thanks~

Bob

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

They can watch the Slingbox from inside the house with a WIFI connection to the router.  To watch remotely, someone at the home location needs to log into the Slingbox setup and enable internet viewing.

calneu

Hello Bob,

Jim is correct. Assuming that you've already done that: Have them use a laptop or something to test transmission over the internet in CA first. If they don't log out afterwards, when you try to log on you'll get a message saying that it's in use and do you want to disconnect them? If that comes up, just click on yes. If it works over the internet there, it should be OK here. I assume your family has given you the Sling account login name and password.

BUT, it still did not work for me over here! So, my family called Slingbox tech support over there and explained this to them.

The Slingbox Tech performed some unknown function and it's been working perfectly now for nearly 6 months. I am VERY pleased!  Philippine CATV & satellite are worthless.

An observation: our ISP is Smart (provisioned through PLDT).  Where we are, they only offer a 2Mbps download, and here 2Mbps is very deceiving as there are about 10 "levels" of 2 Mbps.  The bottom level is actually only about 200Kbps but they claim "up to 2 Mbps"  .  .  .  it'll NEVER happen!  So, their claim of 2Mbps means absolutely nothing!  Check your speed at Speedtest.net. For good quality, they really rip you off here  .  .  .but that's the Philippine business culture, as you probably know.

Finally, I find that anything over .65Mbps is acceptable (although football is not very watchable), 1.5+ is ideal.  At .7 and below the picture becomes blurry, and below .5 is uncomfortable on your eyes.