6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 11, 2012 7:59 PM by chakkarinen RSS

Connecting to Comcast digital network

ACC316421

The instructions are not clear enough for me.

I have just upgraded to Comcast digital service.  Can I take the Comcast cable (coming out of the wall) and plug it directly into a Slingbox Pro-HD? Will I then be able to change channels from my computer without it interfering with the channel selected on the TV?

• Re: Connecting to Comcast digital network
          jimfitzgerald Apprentice

Yes, but you can only receive the basic channels that way.  You should also use component cables out of your cable box and into your Slingbox to receive all the other channels.  Of course, when viewing from the cable box, you must watch the same channel that is being viewed on your tv.

ACC316421

If I had a digital TV, I wouldn't need a cable box.  So why does a Slingbox Pro-HD need one?  I thought it had a digital tuner?

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

To receive premium channels and HD channels, etc.   I have three HD tv's and Charter HD cable with all the premium movie channels.  Two of the tv's have an HD cable box and one tv is plugged directly into the wall.  That tv only receives basic channels without a cable box.

chakkarinen Apprentice

I am able to get SOME channels from my Comcast service by connecting a cable directly from my wall to the Coax input port on my SB-ProHD.   And the same is true if I connect that cable directly to my HD-TV.  BUT, it is not all of the channels that are delivered (in SD only, since I don't subscribe to their higher-priced HD service) by my cable box to my TV.   The digital tuner in my SB-HD is able to scan that direct-from-the-wall cable feed and provide some channels.

But in an earlier post that I read from another contributor (and which worked for me), I first had to disconnect all of the other input source cables to my SB-ProHD (and in my case, do a hard reset of my SB-ProHD), then connect the coax cable to my SB and repeat the setup.   After the scan was completed for this coax signal input, I then could add back the other TV signal inputs (a set of composite cables from my cable box to the SB).

This provides me a few channels in HD that I can sling, but more importantly, it allows me to sling one channel while the folks sitting in front of the TV watch another channel -- provided, of course, that one of us is viewing the TV signal provided by the cable box and the other person if viewing the TV signal provided by the direct-from-wall feed.

janoble

That's all changed recently.  Comcast now requires a cable box on ALL devices to receive ANY channels.  I just tested my slingbox and all I get now is a comcast notice that they have updated their network and that I should contact them and pay more for additional hardware. In response I just moments ago unplugged the slingbox and gave up. This is just one more annoying aspect of comcast.