25 Replies Latest reply: Oct 23, 2012 10:38 AM by als6567 Branched to a new discussion. RSS

recent iphone app update crashes every time

dirtydickie

I downloaded the update for the iphone app yesterday and it crashes upon start-up every time. The app is open for no longer than 2 seconds until it closes automatically. This had made my $300 sling box and $30 app useless to me. Does anyone else have this problem? What should I do?

• Re: recent iphone app update crashes every time
          XxBxX Newbie

Are you using firmware ios 4.1 or higher on your iphone??

jcch

I have the same problem! I am using Sling Solo with iPhone 3G. Using ios 4.2.1 and work fine for SlingPlayer V1.2. However, after updated to SlingPlayer V2.0 the apps simply crash when it start up. I have retried remove SlingPlayer apps and re-install but won't work. From Slingbox home page mention the SlingBox need to upgrade to latest firmware in order for the SlingPlayer work for iPhone. However, I have checked the Sling Solo setup page but found web page replied the Sling Solo already have the latest firmware/update. Can someone know how to fix the problem.

rickertb Newbie

Both players on osx 10.6.5 and iPhone 3GS 4.2.1 crash right away or after a few minutes..

This is the worst software update i have ever experienced for such a large user base

jcch

I just got the iPhone app crash problem fixed over the weekend and hope that my solution may also help yours.

The solution was quite simple. Perform a hard reset (press the reset button in the Sling Solo for a short period of time until the power and network lite blinking) of my Sling Solo. After hard reset Sling solo, re-config the Sling Solo and iPhone SlingPlayer seems work fine.

Of course you should check or mark all the current Sling box config (such as remote model, network config etc,,,,) before you perform hard reset of your Sling box. Otherwise, it may take a long time for re-config the Sling box itself.

NSP653

Hmmm...... seems if I turn wi-fi off, it works fine.  Something as a clue there to the slingbox devs???

danles

I have the same problem with the newest versions of both mobile player, iPhone and iPad, i download it from the Appstore and the first i use it , i watch normally. The second time i allready use the app it crashes and can' t make it work again.

NSP653

More of an update....

It ONLY crashes when I'm on the Wi-Fi that is on the same network (my home network) as my Slingbox.

Anyone confirm same behaviour?

• When at home, if I turn off Wi-Fi and go just 3G, it works fine.
                      • When away from home (say Starbucks), the app doesn't crash whether 3G or their Wi-Fi.
                        hutcheson9082

I wish I had never downloaded the latest app update. It was working perfectly prior to the update.  Now it crashes sometimes, but for the last two days it won't even connect. I have no idea what is wrong with it. 

Jamie74

I also have problems with this version 2.01 on iPhone4 with firmware 4.2.1, brand new, out-of-the-box: it simply crashes after starting. We have about 10 people here in Austria with a slingbox, different models/types and NO one is able to start the app regardless if theyre on Wifi or 3G.

If you want to revert back to the old version (which works great) check your iTunes map: Go to library, right-mouse click on the Slingbox APP, then choose 'Reveal in Finder' (on Mac) or something equivelent when in Windows.

Then you get a list of IPA files, check if the old SlingPlayer.IPA is there. Sometimes iTunes backs up these files.

dvaught2211

I am a new user, and after 1/2 a day trying to get this to work (iPad, iPhone 3 iPhone 4) I have to admit I am very frustrated.  It crashes constantly, though the iPad less so (but that doesn't mean its not crashng, it does, too.)  The iPhone app ($30) won't load without crashing 95% of the time.  I've gotten it to work twice, but it crashes again.  Is the company working on this?  It isn't jailbroken, it isn't multiple routers, it isn't the configuraion of my router.  It's the app, and for me it crashes on wifi or internet.

Jamie74

Anyone succeeded in getting it going? I'm in the process of getting a refund on this app.

rickertb Newbie

Try to setup a manual port redirection on your router for your slingbox, this helped for me.

Before that I was using uPnP on the router and Slingbox and somehow that caused troubles for some time.... (probably since a software update)

If have also checked my slingbox for broken capacitors, but couldn't find any..

After configuring my router te forward port 5001 to my slingbox it worked and haven't had any problems since! (3 weeks now).

https://community.sling.com/thread/1803

here is manual that can be used!

http://www.slingmedia.com/get/KB-005033.html

Hope this helps!

Jamie74

Yes I have that. Thanks for taking the time to explain!

We are with a group of about 20-25 people (expats of course ), all are unable to start the app after the update to v2.x. So I guess there is a problem in the app. Anyway version 1.3 works fine, but its a pain to update the other apps now without accidently overwriting the old version. Then youre lost. Which happened to a few people allready. Anyway as Apple developer, I think crashing without leaving a trace to the normal user is bad programming. Just my two cents...

As developer I have more access to my iPhone, will check what's going on, but nevertheless we will refund it anyway.

Again thanks for your respond!

rickertb Newbie

No problem :-)

I was experiencing my problem both on my iphone as well as on OSX.

after streaming for about 2 sec seconds the connected was lost. Either at home on the local network as at my work on Wifi.

On my iphone I disabled HD streaming which also helped as far as i remember, but I have never had instant crashes when starting the program.

the strange thing was, when i enter the port-forward all crashes where installed solved!

it's worth a try!

Goodluck!

Jamie74

Good thinking! Yes ports are forwarded manually. I have it behind a quite popular Speedtouch router, nothing fancy. Had it running for months behind a Linksys54G. We have a 'pool' of slingboxes, all behind different hardware, but all manually setup for port 5001.

Windows, Mac, everything runs fine for hours and hours, except the Mobile iPhone app v2.x: crashes, sometimes I manage to get sound for a few seconds, then it drops back to the spingboard.

cdrkit

Here's a fix I found for the crashes. I put the phone in airplane mode then tapped the icon and the app opened without crashing. A message saying there is no wifi connection popped up. I cancelled the message then made a change to the Launch Preference setting in the app.

I set it to "Don't Automatically Connect" then turned the airplane mode off and tapped on connect and it works!

Hope this helps.

Followup:  The app had been set to automatically connect to the Guide. It was stuck on Dec 31, 2010 and I had not been able to load the app for the month of January. Finally tried the fix I explained above. I have also been able to go back to automatic connection either to TV or to Guide, without the app crashing.

Good Luck!

Message was edited by: cdrkit

Update:  This fix didn't work. Sorry. It worked for a short while then began acting up again. I'll try a complete reset like the next person and see how that goes.

Message was edited by: cdrkit

henrikgran

Pushed reset and installed slingbox again. Thats all it took to make it work for me...

Bluebird88

What a complete Joke.....

How in the world does my old Iphone 3GS work with my Slingbox App without any problems.....

And my Iphone4 aborts the start up immediately....What is going on!!!!! So if I use my Laptop and connect it to my Iphone4 personal hotspot the slingbox will open with no problems but unhook it and try to use Wifi or 3G it won't.....That's a problem!!!!

kennygee@cctg.com

I had the same problem.

1 I deleted the Slingbox App from my Ipod Touch.

2. I reinstalled the new SLingbox Mobile App from the Itun store.They dont charge to reinstall.

Now everything works fine

Kenny g

kennygee@cctg.com

Jamie74

Thanks Kenny, but that doesn't work... We are trying to get our money back, which is difficult as it worked before.

I have kept the old pre-2.x version which works fine, just have to ignore that 2.x+ update which ruins the fun.

As mentioned before: it works perfectly on a 3G or 3GS!!! Doesn't work any of the iPhone4's we have here (non-JB)! Here = Austria & Netherlands.

JHutch

I will answer and bump this at the same time, hoping someone from Sling replies here. I have the issue on my iPhone 4. Starts up and when I choose a channel it crashes. I'm stuck on the new version, since this is all I ever had installed... 15 (sale price) bucks wasted?

Cmon Sling, do something...

als6567

I am having the same problem. The app starts and may run up to a minute then says the connection is lost. I have five bars on the phone and a great wifi signal. This all started after there was an update for for the PC.