37 Replies Latest reply: Jan 12, 2011 8:17 AM by whitemountain Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Slingplayer for iPhone/iPod Touch 2.0 released!

Sevenfeet

Well, lo and behold a little surprise hits the app store unannounced.  The Slingplayer for iPhone/iPod Touch gets a major update (version 2.0).

The new player seems to link to Favorites that were either created in the Windows app or on the Web client but so far, it's just doing nothing on my iPhone 4.  I'll check back later to see if it updated the information.

Although it doesn't say so, this app does seem to be updated for Retina displays.  Newer Slingboxes (Solo and Pro-HD) get a new high quality stream option if the bandwidth is enough.  Although the older Slingboxes don't get this option, I am thrilled that the it is handling correct aspect ratios for HD content from my aging Slingbox Pro.  So now I get true widescreen all that actually uses the entire display (and gives me a little more resolution in the process).  I know Sling wants us to upgrade our aging Slingboxes but this is a nice little update for people who still have Sling Pros.

More comments to come later...right now I'm just investigating.

• Re: Slingplayer for iPhone/iPod Touch 2.0 released!
          vphung

Sometimes when I open up SlingPlayer Mobile on my iPhone there is no volume control. Do you have the same issue? I have to switch to SD and there is audio and when I switch back to HD the audio is there. When I first open the app it does not have audio. I have tried this a few times are 90% of the time there is no audio. I had the audio only once upon opening the app.

mikegoodwin

I don't see the audio-only option so I don't really see it as an update ...

Alienvisiter

Possible deprovement ..... Safe Driving Feature -  AUDIO ONLY STREAMING was discontinued.

Sevenfeet

Audio only is a feature dating back to the early EDGE based days of the old mobile Slingplayers like Win Mobile and Palm.  It's quite useful during really poor data connections, especially when listening to sporting events.  The latest 2.0 version of this app doesn't seem to have it.

I did figure out Favorites.

The DVR window does give you a kbps/sec measurement for the current stream....nice to see that.

The "High Quality" icon needs to be disabled for Slingboxes that can't support it.  When I tried it on my Pro, it actually tried to do something before returning the picture (which looked exactly the same as expected).  I'm not sure why the Slingbox can't do an interface mode change since it has to know what kind of hardware it's talking to.

kans4s

"DVR window does give you a kbps/sec measurement"

Can you please explain to me how you found the speed measurement in detail. Thanks.

Also, does anyone have a video out cable to test with? I would like to know if they updated this app to work with tv out. Thanks.

mikegoodwin

The Audio Only feature "was" really useful when in situations where watching an event may not be appropriate and listening is more acceptable, and the battery consumption is much less as well.

I don't remember seeing a user questionaire regarding the utulity of existing features and their possible removal.

I guess Sling can do as they please, you have to pay to talk to them, and as far as I know there's no going back to the previous version, which I was perfectly happy with.

burnside Newbie

Just wanted to chime in and thank Sling for updating the app.  Good job guys!  I know I've been critical in the past, but you guys came through in a big way.  This wasn't just a tweak here and there, this was some big time improvements.

1. Display is super clean on the iPhone 4.
                      2. Framerate looks great.
                      3. The Sling guide is a perfect addition and much easier to read than the guide coming from my tv.
                      4. Startup options is another nice thing to see.

Once again, great job!  The best compliment you can get from me is probably not hearing from me for a long time because I'm 100% happy with the app I have right now.  Makes the $30 I spent last year seem very reasonable now!

BlueFrog

Funny this should be released today, as my Sling-HD just arrived as well!

It's not displaying HD content properly for me, as the picture is stretched to fill the screen vertically (there's still some black on the sides of the picture). This makes it extremely annoying for me, and I don't see any way to change the zoom option on the iOS app.

Edit: Oops, i found the option to change the screen to widescreen. Not sure how I missed it earlier. Looks great now.

kenkcooper

I am having the same problem with audio when streaming HQ.  I do get audio when I switch to SQ, but when I switch back I lose the audio again.

Morac Newbie

The quality is a lot better on my 3GS with a PRO-HD, but I'm having control issues in HQ mode over 3G.

When in HQ mode over 3G, pressing a remote action button (play, pause, etc) doesn't result in a rebuffer (ie doesn't jump to "live" video). The buffer is usually 20 to 60 seconds long as such it takes 20 to 60 seconds for me to see the result of any remote presses. This makes control nearly impossible in HQ mode. If switch to SQ mode I don't have that problem. Also HQ mode over Wifi seemed to work fine when I tried it.

Is anyone else having this problem? 

Also how come the Kbps only displays in SQ mode and not HQ mode?problem?

Edit: it does the same thing when changing channels by swiping or picking a favorite. So swipe and then wait at least 10 seconds for the buffer to catch up. Kind of annoying. I guess they expect us to switch to SQ mode to control things.

vphung

I thnk the sound issue is a bug. I think the sound control disappears on occasion when I have the mute/vibrate switch on. Sometime I can get sound and other times I do not. Also sometimes I have sound and it goes away.

When I have the switch on the side set to sound or not mute/vibrate then it seem so far to always have sound.

Morac Newbie

I found what appears to be another bug. While slinging video, if you go into the guide and then close it without taking any action it will default to performing whatever last action you took in the guide.  It does so even if the input device has changed since using the guide.

For example if you used the guide to change to channel 200 and then manually changed to a different channel. If you go into the guide and click close, the slingbox will change to channel 200. At least it does with my PRO-HD.

That's very annoying since if I close the guide, I don't want it doing stuff on it's own.

ericlipari523

I like the new update. Have a Slingbox Pro-HD with all software and firmware up to date. Using the iPhone 4 with the latest update as well.

While I'm happy Slingbox finally updated their SlingPlayer Mobile software for the iPhone hope the next update gets even better.

I was hoping the HQ video would be superb, especially when using WiFi. I like to watch a lot of sports and news and even when using my home WiFi it is still hard to read text on the screen, especially the tickers on the bottom of the screen, or even the score of a game.

I'm attaching screen captures I made from my phone of the quality of video I see. When compared to the sample screen caps that are on the App Store website, I am left to believe under what conditions those sample screen captures were taken.

I know good HQ video is able to be sent to the iPhone 4 wirelessly. If anyone has the NASA app, check out the NASA TV video stream over a WiFi network. It is superb, crisp, and smooth. If NASA can stream their TV channel with great quality, I hope a company whose sole purpose is to stream video can do the same.

I have attached screen captures below. In most cases I am unable to spot the difference between HQ and SQ video, although I have just tested this over WiFi and not 3G. The last screen capture is a 100% capture of Slingbox HQ (over WiFi) vs. NASA TV HD Stream. You can easily see the difference. The HQ video has rough edges which makes text very difficult to read. NASA's stream is amazing and my benchmark for Slingbox on the next update.

*Right-click NASA.jpg to open in a new window or tab. You can then see the full image as I intended.

If anyone sees different quality video please post the quality of video you see from your phone. Thanks.

But in the end, I love my Slingbox and it has worked flawlessly for me when I travel and use my laptop to connect to it to watch TV.

Message was edited by: ericlipari523

barlo5

I am extremely disappointed in this update.  The removal of the audio only mode is a complete head-scratcher.  Some advance notice of its removal would have been nice before I updated...now any time I'm out of 3g range I'm screwed.  And even in 3G range, the streaming is now much choppier than before.  If anyone has not updated yet, please keep a copy of the .ipa file and make it available to us poor suckers that updated (I use the term "up" loosely).  It seems to be impossible to get old version via iTunes.  Another unfortunate change is that the "disconnect" icon is now buried in a submenu, so it takes longer to get out of the app if you like to disconnect first.

To be fair, there are some improvements in this version.  My favorites are the new integrated guide and the startup options.  You can set it up to always start at a certain channel, so when the wife leaves it on Lifetime I don't have to **** around getting it back to a decent channel.

tgc327

barlos5, if you haven't synced your iPhone since upgrading the app, you can delete the app from your iPhone and sync the old version back onto the phone.  That worrked for me when I was trying to fix the "no sound" problem after the upgrade.

barlo5

I was looking in my Recycle Bin for something and noticed that the old Sling Player app was in there (along with previous versions of all the other apps I recently updated).  Apparently iTunes dumps all the old versions to the recycle bin when you update apps.  Lucky for me, I hadn't emptied the Recycle Bin in awhile.  After googling how to downgrade an app and following the instructions (very simple) I am now happily back on version 1.3.  I'll probably stick with this until the Audio Only option is restored and some of the bugs are worked out in the new version.

So if you're regretting the decision to update to v2, check your recycle bin!  The file will be called SlingPlayer 1.3.ipa

Jayel

Thanks, Barlo5, for the post about SlingPlayer 1.x in the Recycle Bin. I have been VERY unhappy that SlingPlayer 2.0.1 dropped the audio-only stream, because a full video stream sucks a lot of battery power when all you're doing is listening (at the gym, on a jog, on a bike ride, everyday scenarios for me). I had no trouble deleting SlingPlayer 2.0.1 from my iPhone, then restoring SlingPlayer 1.3 to recover the audio-only stream.

Fellow Sling enthusiasts, would you be sure to let Barlo5 and me know if SlingPlayer 2 ever returns the audio-only stream option? As soon as it's back, I'lll upgrade to SlingPlayer 2 -- until then, I'll keep 1.3, thank you very much!

ericlipari523

For those that want to revert back to SlingPlayer 1.3 I might have some good news.

I usually only update apps through my phone, then sync at some point later with my computer. Luckily I updated SlingPlayer through my phone, so I still had 1.3 available on my computer backed-up.

I would gladly attach Sling Player 1.3 to this post but am unsure of the ramifications that might cause by distributing a previous version of a paid app on the public domain. If anyone can provide insight, that would be great. But for now I should refrain from doing so.

In the meantime I will keep the 1.3 version of the app backed up so it will not be over written by the 2.0 version when I do eventually sync my phone.

Jayel

The update is VERY good -- EXCEPT for the loss of the audio-only mode. I used this feature daily (in the gym and on long bicycle rides), both to conserve bandwidth (and use less data), and most importantly, to conserve battery power. Sling Media, if you're listening, PLEASE bring back the audio-only feature. I'd gladly surrender the "Help" function that took the place of the audio-only mode on the Option menu! Your decision to drop this feature was not a good one, particularly for iPhone users who are on limited data plans with AT&T and now may exceed their data quota when they have to stream video and audio, but only want to hear the audio.

Aside from this (rather important) gripe, I'm VERY happy with the update.