26 Replies Latest reply: Feb 7, 2012 10:46 PM by kidderboots Branched to a new discussion. RSS

W201 error - slingbox power cycles after 15seconds use

joeybuffet

My slingbox is no longer functional since I performed the last firmware update as slingbox directed.

since October every attempted use of my Solo has failed because it powercycles itself after 15 seconds of use.

usually i jsut get a "you've been disconnected" message.

Sometimes I get a W201 Error message.

Slingbox supprt online seem t advise to do a master reset (which I have done 100 times by now) but it doesnt fix the issue.

Before I can get past the AV input setup in Slingbox setup, the Solo power cycles and it kicks me out of the setup.

I tried calling Sling support 3 different times and they want me to buy a support event for $50 before they will talk to me.  but that makes me livid since the only reason why my Slingbox stopped working was because slingbox SCREWED up their firmware update in some way and broke my slingbox.

Why would I want to PAY sling to fix the box that THEY BROKE?

They should address this for free or repalce it...its not my fault it doesn't work.

Can ANYone help me get my slingbox working again?

• Re: W201 error - slingbox power cycles after 15seconds use
          joeybuffet

I tried calling Sling tonight, and the best I got out of tech support was that they would offer to diagnose the problem for $30 instead of the usual $50.  That is not better.  The tech claimed if they decided it was slings error then I would get a new one and my $30 back but i refuse to pay for them to "decide".   They shoudl wave the fee and help me because it is the right thing to do.   
          Also they hung up on me three times including at clsoing time.

I am NOT a happy slingowner!

TigerTailgating

I'm have the exact same problem (error code:W201).  I tried to use the slingbox last night for the first time in a couple of months and it just disconnects me after a few seconds.  I reset the box and now I can't even get through the setup process before it resets.  I know it's not a problem with my internet connection because Hulu still works fine.

*** Edited to observe Slingbox Answers Forum House Rules by Moderator. ***

wssling Newbie

My box has same problem you have had...have you been able to get it fixed...if yes please tell me what to do...i still have the same problem with no help from the company...

respect

johnfrat

I started having this same kind of problem about a month ago.  My slingbox would connect and be fine for a while, then it would fail and come back with this error.  A few days ago, I connected to my slingbox, and it was working like I just said, but then when the connection failed, it would not allow me to reconnect with my slingbox.  Now, every time I connect, the connection only lasts a few seconds, and it fails.  I have reset my slingbox and checked my network (which is fine).  The problem has to be with the Slingbox itself.  It seems as though the problem started with the last update to the slingbox.  I have been very happy with my slingbox, but am starting to get real frustrated.  Especially since they want money in order to fix a problem with their product.

MexiCanuck

I just started having the identical problem.

I only use the SlingBox and SlingCatcher when my in-laws visit.  (I bought this because there is no cable outlet in the bedroom they use.)

The last time they visited was in the spring.  They are returning on Tuesday for 10 days over Christmas.  The one thing they want is TV in their bedroom and now we don't have it.

I lose Slingbox signal every 15-120 seconds with error W201.

I have reset the Slingbox and Slingcatcher multiple times.

I know the problem is not the Slingcatcher as the Slingbox dies at the same intervals when I try to use it with my iPhone app as well.

I sure hope this gets fixed soon.  I am planning to buy an iPad in the spring and am hoping to get the Slingbox app for it.  But not if I can't even watch with a Slingcatcher or iPhone.

johnfrat

I am STILL having this problem with my slingbox.  Actually it has gotten worse.  I have tried to call sling support, but I have not gotten a hold of anyone.  Is everyone still having this problem?  I am getting very irritated.  Especially since no sling techs/sling support have replied in this thread.

wssling Newbie

Hi,

I got your fix....call sling support and wait till you speak with a rep...tell him or her your issue...make sure you tried everything...moving the box to where no heat..reset button..tried from away and at home..tell them like you probably have tried all the fixes already suggested...i can tell you...they now the problem exist and it was from the update... you will need to trust and if your box is out of warranty...pay the 29.00 dollar one time service fee for help because they will refund immediatly after they try and exhaust all issues and this is all done in few minutes over the phone then they will refund the money and send you a new box free of charge depending on shipment you choose...i was very disappointed at first with what happened because it was such a great product and worked beyond my expectations...and was worried about paying after two years of ownership of a slingbox..but now they are sending a new one with no cost to me.....believe me just like cable would come out and take a bad box away after they do a code push...sling will do the same but you have to pack it and send it as per there directions..and all will be good.....please respond letting me know you got this .... by the way where you from...put the money on amex or something it takes minutes for them with you on phone and it will be done and taken care of....let me know how it works out....i felt the same as you... and my box two years old....em me when they except to send you new one...

cm

kidderboots

Same problem here, lasts about 3-30secs then stops and gives w201 error. was working fine the other day while traveling. Just did the update available and it didn't help.Sling tech should respond to this thread to gives us some insight here.

beanyella75

bought a new slinhgbox solo over xmas, started working no problem. bought the app for my ipad. well the app was absoulte rubbish, it doesnt work. then the box stopped working on my pc and the app. kept gettin thw w201 error. tried master reset and nothing. eventually after trying all day of resetting my slingbox and modem it started working. it went off after a few hours and isnt working again,

i'm not even trying the support after all i have read on here, it would be a pointless exercise. cannot believe what a bunch of con artists slingmedia are. i guess theres only so many people they can rip off before they'll have problems from the powers that be!

wssling Newbie

Hi,

I got your fix....call sling support and wait till you speak with a rep...tell him or her your issue...make sure you tried everything...moving the box to where no heat..reset button..tried from away and at home..tell them like you probably have tried all the fixes already suggested...i can tell you...they now the problem exist and it was from the update... you will need to trust and if your box is out of warranty...pay the 29.00 dollar one time service fee for help because they will refund immediatly after they try and exhaust all issues and this is all done in few minutes over the phone then they will refund the money and send you a new box free of charge depending on shipment you choose...i was very disappointed at first with what happened because it was such a great product and worked beyond my expectations...and was worried about paying after two years of ownership of a slingbox..but now they are sending a new one with no cost to me.....believe me just like cable would come out and take a bad box away after they do a code push...sling will do the same but you have to pack it and send it as per there directions..and all will be good.....please respond letting me know you got this .... by the way where you from...I felt the same but gave in and called they know the problem exist and after few minutes they will be sending you new box trust me and do what i suggest.email me and let me know that your issue has been dealt with...Happy new year...hey where you from...

cm

wssling Newbie

Hi,

I got your fix....call sling support and wait till you speak with a rep...tell him or her your issue...make sure you tried everything...moving the box to where no heat..reset button..tried from away and at home..tell them like you probably have tried all the fixes already suggested...i can tell you...they now the problem exist and it was from the update... you will need to trust and if your box is out of warranty...pay the 29.00 dollar one time service fee for help because they will refund immediatly after they try and exhaust all issues and this is all done in few minutes over the phone then they will refund the money and send you a new box free of charge depending on shipment you choose...i was very disappointed at first with what happened because it was such a great product and worked beyond my expectations...and was worried about paying after two years of ownership of a slingbox..but now they are sending a new one with no cost to me.....believe me just like cable would come out and take a bad box away after they do a code push...sling will do the same but you have to pack it and send it as per there directions..and all will be good.....please respond letting me know you got this .... by the way where you from...

ws          

wssling Newbie

Hi,

I got your fix....call sling support and wait till you speak with a rep...tell him or her your issue...make sure you tried everything...moving the box to where no heat..reset button..tried from away and at home..tell them like you probably have tried all the fixes already suggested...i can tell you...they now the problem exist and it was from the update... you will need to trust and if your box is out of warranty...pay the 29.00 dollar one time service fee for help because they will refund immediatly after they try and exhaust all issues and this is all done in few minutes over the phone then they will refund the money and send you a new box free of charge depending on shipment you choose...i was very disappointed at first with what happened because it was such a great product and worked beyond my expectations...and was worried about paying after two years of ownership of a slingbox..but now they are sending a new one with no cost to me.....believe me just like cable would come out and take a bad box away after they do a code push...sling will do the same but you have to pack it and send it as per there directions..and all will be good.....please respond letting me know you got this .... by the way where you from...they will take care of for you try what i suggest i felt the same about putting on my card, but it never even gets posted it all takes about 15 minutes...let me know what happens......

zevweinstein

I had this problem as well and customer service would not help me.  But there is a solution, as other people have posted all you need to do is call customer support and opt for the one-time paid service for $30.00.  The customer service representative will spend about 20 minutes trying to the resolve the problem and if they can't they will refund your $30.00 and send you a new slingbox.  Problem solved.  Although Slingbox has a warranty period, even slingboxes that are outside that warranty fall into an expection to that warranty period entitling you to a new Slingbox if the power keeps cycling on and off and/or disconnecting from the network and/or the picture is scattered.

joeybuffet

Update: Sling replaced my SlingSolo.

Long story short, an old friend made some calls for me and got me a free support session.  After running through all the required diagnosis SOP, Sling decided that I was correct and that their was a hardware failure as a result fo something that happened during the firmware update.  They replaced my Solo free of charge and i returned the defective one to them. I did have to capitulate and give them my credit card number once they shipped me the replacement (as insurance that I would send them back the defective one).

If I had opted to prepay for the suppprt event when initally offered, i would have gotten a full refund once they diagnosed that the Solo needed replacing.  So in the end it would not have cost me anything.

If you are having the same trouble as I was, pay for the support event and they will refund the amount once they finish the diagnosis.

slimjimtell

Does anyone have a phone number for sling, mine is doing the same thing!!

slimjimtell

That was easy!!

Called Sling...650-293-8000

Paid the 29.99 for the technical assistance

Found out it is Slings Problem with their new Firmware

Got Credit for the 29.99

They are mailing me a new Sling Box Solo

Charged me 99.99 for the replacement

When the new one arrives, I ship the Bad one back and they credit me 99.99

They also send a return shipping label

Will be here in 3-5 days

So, NO cost to me at all but time

Put it on AMEX, so if I dont get credit, I dispute it with them and POOF, they fix it!!  AMEX is the BEST for this.

If you are debating on gettin this fixed...DON'T worry, just do it!!

MexiCanuck

I got my problem resolved as well.

I phoned the number for Canadian support and mucked around with the CSR for an hour or so.  (He didn't ask for credit card information.)  We thought we had it beat over the phone.  I got of the phone and it bagged out again.

I called back and he acknowledged that the box would have to be replaced, but he wasn't authorized to do it as I had called on a weekend.

I called back the following week.  The CSR had a record of the events and said the box would be replaced.  The problem was that I was calling from the west coast and the eastern office was closed, so I had to phone back again.

That time they again had all of the records.  I gave them a CC #, not for a $29.00 charge, but as a guarantee that I would send back the original box.

I received my new box and it has worked just fine.  (I did have to pay about $14.00 for returning the old box.)

One caution for people who are planning to do this.  Don't send your old box until you receive the new one.  I thought I was going to get a whole new retail box, so I bundled up all of the cables, power supply, etc. I planned to mail them back the same day I received the new box.

Fortunately I opened the shipping box first.  It contained a new Slingbox but none of the cables, PS, etc.  I'm glad I didn't mail my old box back prematurely.

mapletrees

Hi my name is ed i live in canada and this is what i did to get my slingplayer to work/ I doubled clicked on sling player icon/ clicked on SETTINGS/ click on slingplayer options/clicked on ENCODING/clicked on manually adjust stream parameters (advanced)/ changed the( bitrate to 600

changed video frames per second to (full rate)changed i-frame interval (seconds) to 1

changed video resolution to 640x240

clicked apply then ok

This is the old slingplayer icon that you can make these adjustments

When i now go to slingplayer it now has gone from 15 seconds to over 12 minutes

So if you maybe play with these settings you may allow continous play with slingplayer.

I was fighting with this program and found this is at least a start for everybody who haqs slingplayer

going to see if i can upload the settings along with this text

THERE WAS ONE THING UPLOADING ANOTHER PICTURE WHERE I CHANGED THE AUDIO BITRATE KBPS TO 96

Message was edited by: mapletrees

mapletrees

HI MY NAME IS ED ,THIS IS A PRINT SCREEN ON WHAT I DID TO MAKE SLINGPLAYER  KEEP WORKING, BUT YOU MAY HAVE TO MAKE DIFFERENT SETTINGS THAN WHAT I DID EXAMPLE BITRATE ETC

IT HAS BEEN OVER 15 MIN AND MY SLINGPLAYER SOLO IS STILL GOING

Rip250

Same proble here, called sling support payed the 29 dollars. Went thru all the troubleshooting with them that I had already done. They confirm it's defective slingbox and are sending ourt a replacemnet sling box and refunded the 29 dollars.

Rip250

wayne4291

I have the same issue with mine. The problem is that I am in Australia for the next 6 months and my slingbox is in the UK.  My warrenty expires next month! Any ideas? I can't even find a phone number to call.

kidderboots

Hey guys!

I had this issue. They will replace your unit.

What you need to do is front $29 for over the phone support. they will walk you through a weak tech support session then send you out a unit. Takes about 3-4 days total. They remburse you for the $29 so in the end it costs you nothing.

Mine arrived, I plugged it in, configured and boom back to beautiful working order.(can't believe I sat at work all these years with out it )

They are DEAD WRONG for not being more up front about this issue BUT there is a way to fix it, EVEN OUT OF WARRANTY (mine is 3 years old), and the fix is = They replace it.

Steps

1. Call the number

2. Tell them since the firmware update it recycles after 15sec or so. Explain the W201 error

3. They will say its out of warranty, ask you to pay $29 but it is rembursed if found to be the firmware issue

4. Go through support (unplug, hold reset for 30sec, reconfig, notice it still restarts, Done)

5. They ask for a credit card to hold on to incase you dont return the unit

6. 3-4 days later you have a new one with a return package.

7. Email saying your case is closed- and $29 is rembursed

Hope this helps guys!

Call

Phone:

877-467-5464

How to reach a live person:

Press 1 for English