4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 20, 2013 5:55 PM by Annabelle1 RSS

remote viewing on solo OK except for Verizon Fios?

ecstasy426

Very odd problem here...

I have a Slingbox Solo set up at our farm in upstate New York - it connects to a camera that allows us to see the weather there. As it is in a rural town, it uses DSL with a decent connection rate. We spend most of our time in Los Angeles, where we have Verizon FiOs at our rented home.

I can view our farm camera via slingbox.com from anywhere in the country EXCEPT our house in LA. In fact, our LA neighbors let us use their wireless connection (Comcast, I believe) and we could see the remote farm Slingbox just fine. Then, when we switch back to our own ISP, it finds the Slingbox, but hangs on 0% optimization with a black screen.

I should mention that we have a Slingbox HD at our LA place as well, which works great - remote viewing is perfect.

Is there a specific issue with Verizon Fios and the remote NY Slingbox, or is there a problem with the LA Slingbox messing up reception from the NY Slingbox?

Thanks!

-ian

• Re: remote viewing on solo OK except for Verizon Fios?
          Apprentice

Hello Ecstasy426,

Yes, this is very odd, it seems to be an issue with the network settings of your router, I recommend that you try to reset it or contact your ISP in LA.

Is there a problem with the LA Slingbox messing up reception from the NY Slingbox?

I don't think so. It could be a conflict if you use the same port for 2 Slingboxes located at the same location, but in this case, they are not. Do you have the same issue using Watch at slingbox.com and the SlingPlayer for Windows/Mac

Regards

mailjeffm

Did anyone ever find or post an answer?  I have the exact same issue.  My sliingbox at my home location works fine.  I can connect from anywhere in the world, except from a friend's home network with Verzion Fios.

ecstasy426

All I can say is that mine suddenly started working about 10 months after that original post. Nothing had changed, except maybe the Slingbox firmware. But even now, living in a new house with crazy download speeds, connecting to that Slingbox at our farm (now a slightly newer model) is still touch-and-go. I suspect is has largely to do with the crappy DSL in rural New York, but then again, I grew up in the '70s and '80s, so if anything works, it still seems like magic.

Annabelle1

I have the same issue with the Pro-HD. The Pro-HD is set up at a non-Fios house and can be viewed everywhere on the planet except when trying to use my Fios wifi at home in NJ. I have an Actiontec router and when I asked Verizon about this, they thought it was the router so they sent me a newer Actiontec router but I still have the exact same problem. I turned off the firewalls on the router and the computer just to see if that was the problem but it made no difference. Even worse: I can watch the slingbox on my phone at my house if I use the phone's data plan but when I try to use the phone over the Fios wifi, it doesn't work(?) Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.