2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2010 9:00 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

New here and have several questions

writermom38

Hello,

I have a son and daughter both overseas. I have another daughter in the USA, but she does not have television access. My son suggested we purchase a slingbox. I need to know more about it. Can they all access at different times? If they wanted to watch the same thing, could they log on at the same time? If they were accessing the dvr and we were watcing something else, would that interfere with our viewing? Do we need a phone line to have a slngbox?

If we are watching something and recording on the dvr, can they watch it with us?

We have an HD Directv dvr.

We are just not sure how this works. Thanks for any information you can offer us!

• Re: New here and have several questions
          ACC793150

No more other words, and just answer you quesitons here :

Q1: Can they all access at different times?

A1: Yes, they can. If there were no time overlay when your son or daughter watching TV at different times.

Q2 : If they wanted to watch the same thing, could they log on at the same time?

A2 : Sure. But only one person has privilege to switch channel.

Q3 : If they were accessing the dvr and we were watching something else,  would that interfere with our viewing? Do we
                 need a phone line to have a  slngbox?

A3 : Definitely yes if you were watching something in DVR. The reason is the same : Only one person has privilege to
                 switch channel. Regarding to phone line, slingbox need ethernet cable, not phone line. Slingbox has to use
                  ethernet cable to connect your home network.

Q4 : If we are watching something and recording on the dvr, can they watch it with us?

A4 : Yes. the same reason as A3/A2 ...

If you still having any question, welcome to have a discuss

• Re: New here and have several questions
              alanrichey42 Master
              Q2 : If they wanted to watch the same thing, could they log on at the same time?

A2 : Sure. But only one person has privilege to switch channel.

Not true I'm afraid.  Only one person can view the Slingbox at a time.

Q3 : If they were accessing the dvr and we were watching something else, 

A3 : Definitely yes if you were watching something in DVR. The reason is the same

It's actually more complicated than that.  You have to think in terms of TV tuners.  Now you have a Tuner in your TV, probably a seperate Tuner in your DVR and the Tuner in the Slingbox (Assuming you have a Pro-HD, the Solo does not have a Tuner.)

So if both of you are watching the output from the DVR Tuner then if one chnages the channel then the other will see that.  But if you work it so you are watching different Tuner sources then you are OK.

Let me describe my system as an example.  I have a Sky Satellite PVR.that feeds both my TV and my Slingbox.  So in the following scenarios:

1.   I am watching something on my Sky Box.   The remote user can watch the same thing as me, but if they change channels I get annoyed.  But they can watch all the channels on the Slingbox tuner and not affect me.

2.  I am watching something on my TV.  The remote user can now do anything they like with the Sky box as well as using the built-in tuner.

Obviously the Roils Royce solution is to give the Slingbox it's own dedicated PVR.

Make sense ?