25 Replies Latest reply: Jun 11, 2012 9:17 PM by thanhtam110 Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Want to tranfer regestration.

anthonyef

I purchase slingplayer mobile for another phone awhile ago.  now have replaced that phone with samsung focus window 7 phone.  How do I tranfer the regestration without having to purchase software again?

• Re: Want to tranfer regestration.
          Apprentice

Hi, anthonyef.

The following link will provide you with the information about the options to transfer the Registration Key, according to the different platforms.

Can I move SlingPlayer Mobile from one handheld to another?

PureEvil

Actually, this doesn't really address the question.  In my case, I'm moving from a version of SlingPlayer Mobile that was purchased from the Sling Media Store to Windows Phone 7 (same device, the Samsung Focus), which your link basically states:

If you bought SlingPlayer Mobile from: The Sling Media Store

You can transfer or extend the registration: To/from devices supported by the Sling Media Store

...which, to my knowledge, does *not* include the Windows Phone 7 devices (only available from the Marketplace).  So what you're indirectly saying is that "you can't transfer the registration".  The SlingPlayer Mobile application available from the Marketplace does not have a trial version that one can "activate" to get full functionality.

So if you if you were a previous user of SlingPlayer Mobile and want to get a similar setup working on Windows Phone 7, you'll have to:

• Upgrade your hardware to Slingbox Pro-HD, from Slingbox Pro (which is no longer sufficient).  You can get a 'discount' of $50, and *only* have to pay $250.
              • Purchase SlingPlayer Mobile for Windows Phone 7 for $30, a program you've already purchased for another platform.

At the end of the day, you'll end up paying $280 to do basically the same thing on a new platform.  While I do love your products, I'm not sure I'm comfortable spending the $660 to watch video on my phone:

• Original Slingbox Pro ($300)
              • HD Dongle (+$50 -> $350)
              • Upgrade to Slingbox Pro-HD (+($300 - $50) -> $600)
              • Original SlingPlayer Mobile, purchased from Sling Media Store (+$30 -> $630)
              • Another purchase of SlingPlayer Mobile, since there's no mechanism to transfer registration (+$30 -> $660)

...but by all means, please correct me if I've misrepresented anything.

-Frank.

anthonyef

Thanks Frank (pure evil),

My thoughts exactly!  Since there is no way to contact support without paying more, I am hoping someone who can still get free advice would help us transferring what we already paid for.

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

It's $30 to buy the SlingPlayer app for a different type of phone.  If you have an obsolete SlingBox, that's not SlingMedia's fault.   If you drive an old car, you can't blame your car company because you need a new car.

rsmurdoch

obsolete? I bought the program a few months ago for a phone that is less then a year since release.  Obsolete?

PureEvil

Now that's not really fair.  As a company SlingMedia markets two types of product.  First is the Slingbox devices; second is the Slingbox players.  With some notable exceptions, you generally can't have the second without the first.

You stated:

"It's $30 to buy the SlingPlayer app for a different type of phone."

Understood.  I can see that to a certain degree...  However, SlingMedia has been very good in allowing the registration to transfer from one device to another (one at a time, of course).  I've had SlingPlayer Mobile playing (through the same registration) on an HTC Dash, HTC Tilt, HTC Fuze, and HTC Pure without any problems.  I just entered the activation code that I got when I first purchased SlingPlayer Mobile.  Note:  The HTC Dash is a non-touch screen device, so it's effectively a different "product".

Now, I understand the dilemma you folks are in, since all the mobile platforms are now moving to Marketplace/AppStores where the registration from say the Android doesn't transfer easily to Windows Phone...  but to simply say that it's a different product and you have to pay again is really a bad customer experience.  To put it bluntly, it seems to be that since the registration transfer became a bit more complicated, you have over-simplified it to "you can't do that."

Maybe a more palatable response would be, "We allowed that, but due to the complexity of the Marketplace/AppStores, we cannot do this anymore."  Though having said that, you folks could explore other means of effectively accomplishing the same thing.  For instance, downloading a "trial" and using the same activation code (for folks who purchased from SlingMedia store).  Or if we still need to pay the $30, give us a voucher for SlingMedia products (like the upgrade from Slingbox Pro to Slingbox Pro-HD).

You stated:

"If you have an obsolete SlingBox, that's not SlingMedia's fault.   If you drive an old car, you can't blame your car company because you need a new car."

Well, this is fine, but I suppose it's all in how you happen to define 'obsolete'.  I've very recently (last two months) updated the firmware on my Slingbox Pro... and it continues to work perfectly fine with Slingbox web client on Windows.  It doesn't sound obsolete to me.  If all your other clients (PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone, Windows Mobile, etc) stopped supporting it, then yes...  That's obsolete.  However, that's not the case, I believe your other clients support the older Slingboxes.

Additionally, that's a very poor analogy for two reasons:

First, asking for SPM (WP7) to support older Slingboxes is akin to expecting the car dealer to be able to service the car.  You paid for the car; you're willing to pay for the service...  What's the problem?  As a paying customer (of SPM and Slingbox), it's perfectly reasonable to ask for a feature that saves me the trouble of spending more money.  The price of a Slingbox is more than a DVD Player or Tivo.

Second, the only entity that is designating that the older Slingboxes are now obsolete is...  SlingMedia.  No offense, but as far as I know, Slingboxes have no moving parts, so there's no parts to "wear out".  Obviously the devices still work (with web client).  To be quite blunt, it feels as though you folks are looking to extract more money from us from both ends (the hardware and software).

Okay, allow me to give you a user's perspective...  The reason why the Slingbox appealed to me is because (despite the high cost of entry), there are no ongoing costs to owning and operating one.  That's important to me.  If you're now telling me that each time I upgrade my phone (every year or so) I'll have to pay another $30...  and additionally I may have to fork out another $200+ each time you folks decide my device is now 'obsolete'...  Well, it makes your product considerably less attractive.

-Frank.

tedkord Newbie

It's good to see you're just as sanctimonious here as you are in the verizon wireless forums.

The main issue here, is when I bought SPM, a selling point Sling used was that I'd be able to transfer the license to any future phone, REGARDLESS of the operating system. They actually used that as a part of the sales pitch, and it was at least part of my decision to go ahead and buy the program. The mobile industry is fast moving, and new phones are coming out all the time. Having a license that I could move from phone to phone was an advantage.

Now, Sling has decided that they don't need to honor their word. I'm currently using SPM, purchased from the Sling Media Store, on a WM 6.5 phone (and it barely works on that phone). WM is a dead platform now, and my next phone will need to be anothe OS. No problem, I think - Sling guaranteed me I could migrate my license to any other platform they support. OOPS. Turns out that was a lie.

In my case, I'm leaning toward Android. Now, Android is open, Sling is not required to sell it only through the App Store. They could sell it through their site, and allow license transfer. They choose not to, and the only reason for this is to make the extra sale.

I know from past experience with you in other forums that you believe companies should basically be allowed to do whatever they want. Does that include not honoring their guarantees? Is lying to consumers to make a sale OK?

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

I have no idea what SlingMedia may or may not have promised.  If you have that in writing, maybe they will honor it.  But otherwise, yes a company can market and position their products as they want.  You can buy them or not.

tedkord Newbie

I notice you didn't answer my question. I'll ask it again. Should a company be allowed to sell consumers a product with certain guarantees, then ignore those guarantees after the sale? Is lying to make a sale OK?

Oh, BTW - they've made it very clear they have no intention of honoring it.

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

Of course not, but I doubt that's what happened.  

tedkord Newbie

So I'm a liar? And so are all the other folks who bought SPM 3-4 years ago, who also claim they were told this (it was on the website as a selling point, in fact).

Here is an archived webpage from Sling. It's about transferring licenses, and it's from 2008. Note the phrase, "The same license works on ALL VERSIONS OF SLINGPLAYER MOBILE."

http://web.archive.org/web/20080229073152/support.slingmedia.com/get/KB-005002.html

We have nothing left to talk about. I don't need to be called a liar by a corporate shill.

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

I guess you forgot to post the part where they guaranteed to never change their policy even two or three years later.  

tedkord Newbie

Are you kidding? Can Toyota decide, after you've bought the car, that they're changing the warranty coverage? "Oh, sorry. We used to warrant the powertrain last year when you bought the car, but we decided not to cover that anymore." They certainly can change their policy, but not for those to whom they've already sold it and made guarantees.

When you buy a product with certain assurances, the company should be held to those assurances. I was assured when I bought the software, that I could transfer the license unlimited times (to one device at a time), regardless of which platform it was for. I even spoke directly to a salesperson about this, and he assured me that it was the case.

This ability to transfer the license across platforms was a main reason I bought the mobile software - mobile tech moves quickly, and even folks who aren't on the bleeding edge generally upgrade at least every two years.

You doubted they said what they said - I showed you proof they did. You are simply one of those folks who cannot ever say, "Oh, I was wrong."

EDITED: I removed a personal insult, and apologize for posting it. I got carried away. When it is insinuated I'm a liar, I get very angry - I consider my honesty to be my most important trait. That's no excuse for my behavior, and after a night's sleep I am ashamed.

Merry Christmas to all!

PureEvil

Again, I can understand why it's difficult for them to transfer the registration on newer devices.  All newer devices (Andriod, Windows Phone 7, and iPhone) use an Marketplace/AppStore model, which makes it difficult to transfer.  Specifically, you can't just download something from the SlingMedia site and get your application running the way you could before.

If you want the application you *must* get it from the Marketplace/AppStore.  Having said that, I would be nice to have them say something to that effect here... and there's no attempt to even trying to make it work.  In other words, say install a trial and have you enter the existing activation code from previous purchase to activate the full product.  They can at very least offer a trial for the Windows Phone 7 version (that say only streams for five minutes), this way we can make an informed decision on whether or not to spend the $30.

Saying that it's obsolete is a bit like selling you a car 3 years ago, and then telling you that while the car works perfectly fine, but we don't make the brake pads for it any more, so after your brakes are worn, your only option is to buy a new car.  Not very consumer friendly.

-Frank.

tedkord Newbie

This is NOT the case with Android. It is 100% Sling's choice to sell only in the marketplace and charge again for the license. Android is like WinMo 6.5 and below - you can install any app you like from any source, at your own risk.

It comes down to greed, and lack of integrity - not honoring your word. 

tedkord Newbie

This link is not helpful in any case, as it clearly says that if you bought SPM from the Sling Media Store, SPM for Windows Phone is eligible. Go to the Store, and only WM 6.5 and below are there. No Windows Phone. 

rsmurdoch

yeah basically slingbox has stuck it to you.  no way to transfer you have to buy again.

tbgibbs

I am in the same spot

I went from wp6.5 to wp7.  Did slingbox do the right thing?

Mebh

I also want to transfer my registration after replacing a Windows 6 phone with a Windows 7 Phone.

Can I download it directly to my Windows 7 phone?  I tried the Zune link and could only buy it again - I want to transfer.

Where do I get the trial version?

rabbit424

bumping this back up, as it's my exact question too... is there a response from sling as to how we can install in our windows 7 phone without re-paying the $30 purchase fee?

ACC2159397

As I understand it...

If you got it for Windows Phone 7, and you upgrade to another Windows Phone 7 device, your apps are tied to your Live/Hotmail account. So when you sign into your account for the first time, you can download it with out paying again.

If you go from Android to Windows Phone 7 or iOS (any way, different OS base), it's a different app, so you need to buy it again.  At $30, it's really too much to have to buy again but, if you picked up Angry birds for iOS and you moved to Windows Phone 7 and you wanted it again, Yep you need to buy it again.