9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 4, 2010 12:58 PM by Jops666 RSS

How do you connect a Slingbox Pro connection to a Sky HD Box??!!!

Nicc

I have a slingbox pro...but the connection cable examples are poor and dont see to work in any configuration!! anyone out there successfully connected a sling box pro to a Sky HD and lived?

which connection did you use the HD? the s-video or what

answer on here or email me n.genito@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks

Nicc

• Re: How do you connect a Slingbox Pro connection to a Sky HD Box??!!!
          alanrichey42 Master

Composite is your best bet (Red/White/Yellow), probably using a SCART/RGB converter at the Sky Box  (from memory one of those comes with the Sky Box)

Al.

Jops666

I'm having similar problems with a Virgin V+ box.  Basically, the problem seems to be that the Slingbox Pro doesn't really support HDMI input at all.

What it does is accept a downgraded version of HDMI via Component input.  And don't think you can buy a cable off eBay to convert HDMI to Component - because the Pro doesn't even do the downgrade itself!  You'd need a converter (eg HD Fury at about £60) to do that too.

Frankly I consider the Pro to be a total con.  Not only will it not accept HDMI input, it also means your (only) composite connection is taken up by the device you wanted to be HD, so you can't really connect four devices at all.

And I don't buy that legal nonsense either, because no-one expects the Pro to transmit HD.  All we want it to do is be compatible with it so HD passes through to our TVs.  Streaming can be standard definition, that's fine.

The other 'feature' - that someone can watch Freeview at the same time (on your TV) while you access the Slingbox - is also a total waste of time, because pretty much every new TV has a built-in freeview tuner anyway, so you could do that with the SOLO.

In practical terms the Pro, in summary, has zero functionality over and above the SOLO.

My next move will be to take the Pro back to the store, get my money back and buy a SOLO instead.  Half the price and it does all the same things!

I'll also probably just throw those HMDI-Component cables I bought off eBay in the bin too...

alanrichey42 Master

OK, a few misunderstanding methinks...

Basically, the problem seems to be that the Slingbox Pro doesn't really support HDMI input at all. What it does is accept a downgraded version of HDMI via Component input.

No, the component input is actually full HD.

Not only will it not accept HDMI input, it also means your (only) composite connection is taken up by the device you wanted to be HD, so you can't really connect four devices at all.

I agree a bit, as while you can connect 4 devices  (co-ax, component (HD), composite(SD) and S-Video (SD) ) you can only have 3 devices with audio, as the composite and S-Video share the same audio,

Can you not use component from the V+ box to the Slingbox and then component from the SLigbox pass through to the TV ?

Jops666

Hi - if you think I'm going wrong somewhere I'd be eternally grateful!

The V+ box has HDMI out or SCART out.  It won't allow you to use both at the same time, and I would prefer to use HDMI (to retain full HD on my TV output, and to use the SCART - ie composite - funcationality on the Pro for my DVD player).

I have bought two HDMI -> 5-way component cables - one to connect the v+ box to the "in" of the HD Connect cable on the Pro, and one to go from the "out" to the TV.

The cables I bought are as follows:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HDMI-MALE-5-RCA-RGB-AUDIO-VIDEO-AV-COMPONENT-CABLE-/200541843238?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item2eb139af26

Which (as per the description) is a full HD cable.

If this is my set-up, please can you explain why I get no signal from the component output?

For reference, my composite output works fine (via the SCART used from my DVD player), and the co-axial output gives me nothing at all when connected to the house aerial (which does work via the TV).

Many thanks for your help!  I was really looking forward to having this all set up, so am getting quite frustrated with my problems....

alanrichey42 Master

OK, I am on shaky ground here as I have a Sky+ box rather than a Virgin box, but here are some thoughts.

The V+ box has HDMI out or SCART out.  It won't allow you to use both at the same time, and I would prefer to use HDMI (to retain full HD on my TV output, and to use the SCART - ie composite - funcationality on the Pro for my DVD player).

In that case you are screwed.  The only solution would be to use the SCART socket to the Slingbox and the composite output from there to the TV and lose all HD.  But I would have thought that all the V+ owners would be screaming if that was the case.  Is the disabling of the SCART socket a setting you can change via the menu or something Virgin have instigated ?   If it the latter, how do they expect you to legally record anything off the box ?

I have bought two HDMI -> 5-way component cables - one to connect the v+ box to the "in" of the HD Connect cable on the Pro, and one to go from the "out" to the TV. If this is my set-up, please can you explain why I get no signal from the component output?

I suspect it is HDCP.  If you use HDMI and HDCP is enabled on your Virgin+ box then you have to have an HDCP compliant device attached (like most newer TVs, and the Slingbox does not have that capability.   So I suspect the cables are worthless, sorry.

the co-axial output gives me nothing at all when connected to the house aerial (which does work via the TV).

Can't explain that.  I have a Pro-HD and I get all the Freeview channels on the digital co-ax input.    (I use the composite output from the Sky box to drive mine and the component input is for a DVD Player)

Cheers

Al

Jops666

Thanks for your help - you've kind of confirmed what I suspected - which isn't a great outcome, but at least I'm getting somewhere!

Just for my interest, I'd be grateful if you could answer these two questions:

1. How do you get HD output from your Sky box if you're not using a HDMI port?

2. How does the Pro-HD accept HDMI input and output?  Is it fundamentally different to the way the Pro does?

Cheers

alanrichey42 Master

1. How do you get HD output from your Sky box if you're not using a HDMI port?

I use the HDMI to drive only the TV and accept that I can only use an SD feed (Composite) to the Slingbox.  I use a DVD Player to drive the HD Component input.

I actually privately warned SlingMedia when the UK Pro-HD was released that I felt they were selling it under false pretensions, as I can think of no way the average person can send an HD TV signal to the Slingbox.   Sky, Virgin & Freesat boxes either have no component output or if they have it it is normally disabled once the HDMI is used for the TV.   I don't know if the new HD Freeview boxes are any different.

They ignored me completely of course

2. How does the Pro-HD accept HDMI input and output?  Is it fundamentally different to the way the Pro does?

It has a proper component HD connection built in.  But as I said in my previous answer, this is useless for a TV signal.

Jops666

PS we're talking specifically about the Slingbox Pro, not the ProHD.  I'm sure you know this, but reading other posts suggests there has been confusion in the past.