4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2010 12:58 AM by dickywmc RSS

No custom key in remote control

dickywmc

When I use th desktop version of slingplayer, the remote control allows me to access the various "custom" keys that are mapped to different functions of the DVD recorder.  However, with the web version of slingplayer, I cannot find any access to te "custom" keys.

May I know if there is any solution to it?  Thanks!

• Re: No custom key in remote control
          alanrichey42 Master

Not officially.   For some odd reason this was one of the many areas of functionality that Sling removed when they 'upgraded' to WebSLingPlayer.

My workaround is to use the Custom Remote skin I designed instead of the built-in skin.   This is 100% configurable so you can make it look however you wish, and add any Custom Buttons you need.   You have to initially set it up in Slingplayer but then it becomes visible in WebSlingPlayer,

Check it out at https://community.sling.com/thread/4559?tstart=60

Al

dickywmc

I have followed your instructions and able to invoke a customized remote via the desktop Sling player.  However, after I copy the 'Custom Remote' folder to C:\Users\..<User>..\AppData\Roaming\Sling Media\WebSlingPlayer\Remote\Custom Remote\ and start the Web Sling player, the remote shown is still the old default one!  Is there anything I missed?

A side question... for the Mac, will there be newer version of the desktop Sling player to be released as the current version only supports a very low resolution (seems 640 x 480) while the Windows one can support up to 1920 x 1540.

Thanks a lot.

alanrichey42 Master

I have followed your instructions and able to invoke a customized remote via the desktop Sling player.  However, after I copy the 'Custom Remote' folder to C:\Users\..<User>..\AppData\Roaming\Sling Media\WebSlingPlayer\Remote\Custom Remote\ and start the Web Sling player, the remote shown is still the old default one!  Is there anything I missed?

I don't thinks so.  Provided you have left that remote showing when you exited Slingplayer it should appear when you run WebSlingPlayer.  But I do find it is a bit hit and miss and occasionally, like you, I see the default skin.  Unfortunately.because Sling have removed the option to switch remote skins there seems to be nothing you can do.   However, do make sure you give it time, I have found on some occasions that it can take 10 seconds for the new remote to appear.

A side question... for the Mac, will there be newer version of the desktop Sling player to be released as the current version only supports a very low resolution (seems 640 x 480) while the Windows one can support up to 1920 x 1540.

No idea, you would have to ask someone from Sling about that.  But I wouldn't recommend doing it on this forum.  I quote from the Forum Rules:

=============================================================================

With that in mind, please be sure to follow the house rules below:

• Be nice. Treat your fellow members with the respect they all deserve.
                  • Stay on topic. If you are replying to someone, be sure that your reply is about that (or a similar) topic.
                  • Be honest. Don't post the work of others and give credit where credit is due.
                  • Be legal. Don't encourage or discuss illegal activity or things that violate the Slingbox End User License Agreement.
                  • Don't speculate. Discussing unannounced Sling Media products, policies, or procedures is not appropriate.

==============================================================================

I think the last rule is pretty clear

Al