7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 8, 2011 4:50 PM by ACC472577 Branched to a new discussion. RSS

HD Mac Client???

robroy90

I just purchased a Slinbox Pro HD because I was forced to in order to be able to use it with my iPad (My Pro with the HDMI Adapter was working fine).

Now I discover that because I "upgraded" to the PRO-HD, a Mac client installer that supports HD is NOT available, and I have to instead use the website to stream.

When are you going to get your act together and provide consistent client support? It is really not acceptable that your force customers into new hardware for one platform and then do not simultaneously support platforms that you did previously.

When can we expect an updated version of the Mac HD Client installer???

• Re: HD Mac Client???
          n9yty

Same boat here, actually just ordered the upgraded SlingBox before I realized all this nonsense was going on...  How ridiculous that you'd have to use a web browser and have an internet connection just to be able to watch video on your LAN in your own house?  Madness.

Sling needs a native Mac desktop app in some form that can run locally on your network without an internet connection, and it should be included in the price of a slingbox, at least one copy of the software should.

Apprentice

Hi robroy90 the desktop applications are no longer being developed, however the web site Watch.slingbox.com support HD streaming and has all of the features of the desktop player, if you have used it and there is a feedback that would you like to provide about it we would appreciate it.

Here is some more information about the player

What do I need to use Watch on Slingbox.com?

What is Watch on Slingbox.com?

Slingplayer MAC

Best regards,

The Slingbox Answers Forum Moderator Team

daveecklund

RafaelB wrote:

Hi robroy90 the desktop applications are no longer being developed, however the web site Watch.slingbox.com support HD streaming and has all of the features of the desktop player, if you have used it and there is a feedback that would you like to provide about it we would appreciate it.

Here is some more information about the player

What do I need to use Watch on Slingbox.com?

What is Watch on Slingbox.com?

Slingplayer MAC

Best regards,

The Slingbox Answers Forum Moderator Team

... all the features of the desktop player -- except working if/when your website is ever down.  Oh yeah.. and support for my Slingbox AV.  o_0

Lizzie36

Hey I just got a Mac and I cannot seem to get the application icon to show up on my desktop or anywhere else.  Does this mean I HAVE TO go to Wath.slingbox.com  to watch tv on this MAC?  Am I not using up my internet download allotment that way?  This could end up costing me big bucks the way the ISP providers are going lately.

daveecklund

My understanding is that the new SlingPlayer "Application" is a browser plugin.  It works with Safari and Firefox... well ... it works with 32 bit Safari (way to go Sling...).

Any time you view your slingbox remotely (regardless of if you used a destop application or the browser plugin) is using bandwith.  I'm not sure how the new paradigm handles LAN connections...

ACC472577

RafaelB,

I have experience with the web version, and can provide the feedback.  My primary browser is google chrome, which doesn't support it.  Can't seem to get Firefox 4 working with it either.  So I have to use Safari, but push it down to 32 bit mode, which feels like a total hack.

Once I do get it working, the experience is not very good.  As I write this, I'm trying to watch my beloved San Jose Sharks play the Washington Capitals.  It will play for about 5 minutes until I get "There was an error connecting to your Slingbox. Please try again. Do you want to retry?"

For a user experience standpoint, the whole thing feels half baked.  What was wrong with the idea of a stamd alone application that did this?  With the rise of stand alone apps on Android and iOS, isn't the paradigm of a web based application showing its age?  And if Sling is commited to the idea of a web based app, then why aren't you trying to shoe-horn sling onto the mobile browser using HTML5? 

I'd pay the $29.95 to have a mac desktop app that worked. Because this is not the experience I want!

-- Jon