30 Replies Latest reply: Dec 9, 2010 1:35 PM by doitt2 Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Is there an update or not?

neokyle

I have a Slingbox Tuner.  I'm watching via Slingplayer 1.0.10.272 on my MacBook Pro.  As of a couple days ago, I regularly get a pop-up message asking me to upgrade.  When I follow the link to download, I find that there is no software update that is compatible with my Slingbox.  Is there an update?  If not, how can I disable the annoying pop-up messages?

Thanks,

Kyle

• Re: Is there an update or not?
          joemirabella

I have been getting the same message.. with the same results.. for the last few days.

tommac

same issue here…

any news?

tryed uninstalling completely, and reinstalling,

as suggested in the long and funny chat session…

but nothing changed,

as launched the newly installed player asked for upgrade!!

vagrant

Looks like we're all in the same boat. Will it float, or slingk? - sigh -

hmiller Newbie

that chat sucks. i wish they had this information up earlier.

http://support.slingbox.com/go/downloads-mac

vagrant

The following worked perfectly for me. I use Little Snitch and created a rule to block 70.42.244.145 and I no longer receive the update window. My guess is that it uses port 80, but I just blocked everything to that IP.

I'm using version 1.0.10.272 of the player for the Mac. Everything is back to normal now. Thanks doitt2.

Is there an update or not?

reply from doitt2 in General questions - View the full discussion

So the webpage says they will disable this soon, but I wondered if we are going to have to put up with this again.  So far this morning, the way I figured out how to block these updates forever is to create a firewall rule that blocks outgoing traffic to 70.42.244.145 after monitoring traffic for awhile to catch the app's network communications.

The problem with my suggestion is that, since this is an outgoing and not an incoming rule, you can't just use the built-in firewall to do it.  So you have to either use a terminal window or download an app like Waterroof and create a rule that says: deny ip from any to 70.42.244.145.  So it is not exactly a solution for the average mac user, but it seems to be working.

Since they said they are not going to be creating more updates for the desktop app, making this a permanent rule does not seem to be an issue.  And it seems that if you are using a slingbox ID, the address for checking that is 70.42.244.146, so blocking .145 does not seem to interfere with normal player functions.

If I find problems with what I've just suggested, I'll follow up with another post.

neokyle

I tried this trick to stop the update messages.

1. Download PlistEdit Pro http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/14363/plistedit-pro

2. Open /Library/Preferences/com.slingmedia.slingplayer.plist **

3. Make the following change so it won't check for an update until 2050.

id.NextUpdateTime     Date     Sunday, December 4, 2050

** Make sure SlingPlayer is closed before making any changes.

So far, so good.

Message was edited by: neokyle

brucemcl Newbie

It's amazing to me that Slingbox has decided to punish it's users by displaying the fake reminder over and over again. Their goal here is to stop people from using what they like and get them to use what is more convenient for Slingbox.

Apprentice

Hi  neokyle and all, there is currently a software update available for Slingbox.com, you may receive the update notification as well in the Slingplayer application, but you can only do the update by going to our web site Watch.slingbox.com after that the update message will disappear.

Regards.

dalelengle

Ok, so by your statement, "...there is currently a software update available for Slingbox.com...", did you mean that there is an update for my slingbox firmware?  Obvioulsy, most of the people commenting on this forum thread don't care if there is an update for slingbox.com since they don't intend to watch through the web player.  Therefore, I can only assume that you're intending to point out that we need to be on the web player to update our slingbox firmware?  Was that your intent?

Apprentice

Hi dalelengle, the update is for the web site Plug in, not the Slingbox firmware, updates for firmware in Slingboxes are sent separately.

I hope this is clear.

tirademan

Well, the browser-based plug-in isn't working either.

Here's the error message I get when trying the browser connection:
                                    "There's a problem communicating with your Slingbox. Make sure your Slingbox is connected to the Internet. Do you want to retry? [Code:W200]"

My slingbox solo was working fine for over a year and just stopped connecting for no reason. Here's the error I get using the current software:

"You can't connect to the Slingbox right now. Make sure it's set up for remote viewing, and that the network router and Slingbox is connected to has the correct Port Forwarding settings."

I'd set those up initially, and it was working fine for over a year and has just stopped.  Seems I'm not the only one.

Scott

tirademan

Oh yeah, the iPhone app I spent $30 on isn't working either...frustrating, as it was until recently!

Scott

neokyle

I'm content with the Slingplayer Desktop software.  The web plugin isn't compatible with my Slingbox Tuner.  Further, it isn't compatible with Safari or Chrome on my Mac.  Even if I had a compatible Slingbox, I'd be forced to use Firefox and Flash, both of which tend to crash on my Mac for whatever reason.  Once Slingbox phases out all support for their legacy products like my Slingbox Tuner, I'm not going back to Slingbox.  They don't seem to appreciate their customers and have always lagged on Mac support.

doitt2 Newbie

plist edit still working after a few days!

vagrant

Same here. The plist edit did the trick. I think ellisonj also has a solution by editing the _update.ini file.You wouldn't need a plist editor for that, as it's a plain text file and not binary, but the important part to note is setting the permissions on the file to read only, otherwise the file could/would be overwritten and the pop up would return. (I myself have not tried editing the _update.ini file, as I had already opted for the plist edit.)