7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 11, 2012 8:12 PM by macted Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Dead Pro-HD

JMagliola

I'm a tech guy at work, I've done business with LOTS of companies, both small and large. I've had experience with warranty issues in ALL areas.

I've had slingboxes in my house since day 1 that you could buy them, I've had almost every model. It was a long time coming, but the PRO-HD finally did everything I wanted it to, without silly adapters and such.

I was thrilled!! I'd never had a problem with any slingboxes in the past and all was well.

Now a few weeks ago all of a sudden my slingbox stopped working.

It WILL NOT CONNECT to the network. The horseshoe light cycles through a pattern every 30 or so seconds and the LAN light blinks a few times, Then the whole cycle starts over.

I come here, and see that "the slingbox isnt getting enough power" Oh! Great! I have a solo and an A/V and their power adapters work just fine! I swap them, NO good.  Yet they still power the other slingboxes just fine.

Ok, time to get some support......wait what's this? 30 bucks?! To support a TOP OF THE LINE device that I paid a couple hundred for?! What is that about!! Sling, BAD MOVE.  To top it off, when you call their 800 number, you can just tell that you're going to get some person on the phone that A) Does not care about your problem, B) Reads from a script and C) Ultimately won't be able to comprehend what's going on.

SO here I am - left with only community support, for the top of the line slingbox.  I'm thinking that an update was performed and it screwed something up.

I have swapped all external things I can - power adapters, cat6 cables......etc.

Any ideas?

*** Edited to observe Slingbox Answers Forum House Rules by Moderator. ***

• Re: Dead Pro-HD
          mcree

I too am a "Day One" customer, and just got a new PRO-HD yesterday. The first thing the SlingPlayer did was the firmware update, but the Box got into a state similar to what you're describing, and now it's permanently "busy".

The lights do very specific things, more than simply a blinking network light. Also, if you hold down reset for a long time, it does something else. Is there any info for what these mean?

*** Edited to observe Slingbox Answers Forum House Rules by Moderator. ***

Expert

Hello all - with regard to the support we provide for our products:

First, our apologies if you feel you had a negative experience with support. We've all been in situations where we need help, and as a tech company which stands behind it's products, we don't like to hear that your support experience was less than ideal.

However, it sounds like there was possibly a misperception or misunderstanding somewhere along the road. ALL of our products (including SlingPlayer Mobile) come with 90 days of complimentary technical support. Meaning, free. As in, call us - We want to help you, seriously!

Sling Media Complimentary Support Offerings

Contact Sling Media

jmcclendon

Dana,

It seems simple to me. Why can't SlingMedia give their customers an option to roll back to previous firmware versions that were working perfectly fine? I was extremely pleased with my slingbox prior to this latest firmware update. Now my slingbox is essentially " unuseable". How hard is it to do something like that? I would continue to buy products in the future if I am provided with options that work for me as a consumer. Please help if you can.

Ccass400

After reading about all the failures,  I don't think we are so much discouraged by the way you are handling your customer support so much as it appears like a whole bunch of Sling Pro HD units are going bad in a very short period of time.    I luckily am currently well within the warranty period and expect that Sling will exchange my dead unit for a new one.  However, it appears like an awful lot of PRO HD units have an overheating issue.    What I would like to know is if the overheating source has been diagnosed and fixed or if we're all just getting more units that are going to work for another 60-90 days and then fail again until eventually our warranty is over and we are SOL. 

macted

My Pro-HD was fully dead , I just buy this pro-hd from BH two months ago ,I made corss test yesterday , I plugged the power supply to my another slingbox classic ( it had run over two years)  and the classic works fine , so I make sure that my pro-hd was gone.

Hi Dana, I think slingbox should provide a good solution for warranty , a mial address for contact , a way for bad item return , that's all a responsible company should do.

discthrower159

My Pro-HD is doing the same exact thing.  Of course its about 2 months outside of its 1 year warranty and now I would have to pay $150 if I wanted to get a refurbished unit.  I am very angry about this as well.

macted

My Pro-HD was fully dead , I just buy this pro-hd from BH two months ago ,I made corss test yesterday , I plugged the power supply to my another slingbox classic ( it had run over two years)  and the classic works fine , so I make sure that my pro-hd was gone.

I think slingbox should provide a good solution for warranty , a mial address for contact , a way for bad item return , that's all a responsible company should do.