9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 5, 2011 4:50 AM by davemars Branched to a new discussion. RSS

I am no longer able to connect to my slingbox after auto update

Verytiredof2.0

I just recently reinstalled the 2.0 player after having to go back to the 1.5 so I could connect it worked fine until it updated automaticaly no I can.t connect

this new software is a night mare I spend more time trying to connect or fix problems than watching TV Have not found where you can call support

without paying them to fix there junk program very disqusted with slingbox just signed up for HULU plus at least I can watch TV. Does anyone want to buy a slingbox cheap tired of all the problems.

• Re: I am no longer able to connect to my slingbox after auto update
          marvf

I'm having the same problem and cannot find a site or resource to assist me with this problem.  Anyone know what's going on?

Baffled

Apprentice

Hi, Verytiredof2.0 and marvf

We need you to provide further information about this issue. Keep in mind that we need all the details about the issue you are dealing with. Make sure to provide as many details as possible. This way, other Forum users will be able to help you with accurate information.

Guptadana

The same issue - in more detail....

I have a Slingbox Solo which was working fine until the latest updates. Now it's a useless pile of electronics.

My iPod Mobile Slingbox program got updates and now won't work without a firmware update which I can't perform from my iPod (I'm 5000 miles from my TV). My MacBook Air repeatedly won't install the plug-in to allow me to use the slingbox site for viewing. And the latest version of Slingbox Player for Mac says it doesn't support the Solo. The FAQ's say failure to install the plugin is a known issue (not helpful). I've downloaded the WBSP_Mac_Installer.mpkg which runs and then tells me "The Installation Failed .... Contact the software manufacturer or assistance." I've taken 2 hours just to work out how to do that!

So I can't connect to my TV without the plugin and I can't view even on the mobile player without updating the firmware which I can't do without either the web player (see plugin issue) or Slingbox Player for the Mac (no longer works with Solo). A great product totally spoiled by badly thought through support and software. I am tired of going round in circles and up dead ends. How can I use my Slingbox on my MacBook and on my iPod?

Anybody out there? Slingbox is now top of my personal league for frustration and poor software design for 2010.

jkennedy

I was also getting the "installation failed" error while attempting to install the slingplayer plugin into Safari and Firefox on my mac (snow leopard).  I checked my console(/Applications/Utilities/Console.app) after the error and found the following error:

12/25/10 7:15:56 PM     installd[1566]     PackageKit: ----- Begin install -----

12/25/10 7:15:56 PM     installd[1566]     PackageKit: Install Failed: (null)
                  Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=513 UserInfo=0x100615ef0 "You don’t have permission to save the file “Cleanup At Startup” in the folder “Iq7slZHAFUmllt3NA2jJZ++++TI”." Underlying Error=(Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=13 "The operation couldn’t be completed. Permission denied") {
                      NSFilePath = "/var/folders/Iq/Iq7slZHAFUmllt3NA2jJZ++++TI/Cleanup At Startup";
                      NSUnderlyingError = "Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=13 \"The operation couldn\U2019t be completed. Permission denied\"";
                  }

12/25/10 7:15:57 PM     Installer[1559]     Install failed: The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

I ran the following from Terminal(/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app) to get the plugin installed:

sudo installer -pkg /Volumes/WBSP_Mac_3.1.4.60/WBSP_Mac_Installer.mpkg -target /Applications/

You may have to replace the volume name above with the proper name for the mounted .dmg

Hope this helps someone else.  I was pretty frustrated with all the problems I have had with my brand-new slingbox.

Guptadana

Thank you jkennedy. That worked, though how I was supposed to work that out for myself is a deep mystery.

My remote control remains inactive, though I can limp along like that for the remaining weeks I am away from the box and re-set the remote when I get back.

Is there some other thread relating to Macs on Slingbox where the Terminal solution could be posted?

Brilliant. You have made the Christmas of a TV addict.

Midland

I am having the same problem as described here. I have a new MacBook Air.  I am trying to install Sling player but it keeps hanging up and indicating installation failed.  I am a a computer user not  a programmer so I can not follow the advise provided with out more details. Please Help.

davemars Newbie

I have the same problem. I updated my slingbox when home over the holidays. Local access worked fine. Now back in Hong Kong. Cannot connect to my slingbox anymore. Seems to be conflicts with the player and the slingbox levels. But have no way to verify it.

davemars Newbie

Whats interesting is that I can connect to my Slingbox in the US via my iPhone here in Hong Kong with no problems.

Are there issues that Sling Media blocked access outside of the US?

This also points to an incompatibility between the firmware update and the slingplayer on Windows. I run Version 2.0.4.521

Slingbox team, please ensure proper operation of the Windows version with the newest firmware on the slingbox.

Also, occassionally I can connect with the Firefox web plugin, but not very often.

I really believe that Sling has some problems with this lates FW update.

I wish I had never made the update.