6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 28, 2010 3:09 AM by rvhughes RSS

How do I control source appliances from sling catcher?

rvhughes

I recently purchased a sling box pro, having previously used my sling catcher with the Classic. With the old sling box, it was a simple matter to turn off my source appliance (sky+HD) from sling catcher, using the relevant "button". However, with my new sling box pro, there does not seem any way to turn off either the sky box that I have connected or my Panasonic hard disc recorder. I can, of course, disconnect sling catcher from my sling box but this presumably leaves the appliances running. Has anyone any answers to this conundrum please?

• Re: How do I control source appliances from sling catcher?
          alanrichey42 Master

When you tap the power button on the Slingcatcher remote do you not get an on-screen message along the lines of:

"Send Power Command to Slingbox"     (The one you are looking for)

"Switch off Slingcatcher"

??

rvhughes

cid:67E0E5C8-A11C-46EB-ACCB-5176B726A7A7

Hi and thanks for the reply. I have no trouble hooking up with either my slingbox or turning on my appliances. Its when I have finished watching and I want to turn off my appliances that the problem arises. I can turn both my sling box and slingcatcher off all right but the appliances at the other end, so to speak, are still switched on.

Robert

alanrichey42 Master

rvhughes wrote:

https://community.sling.com/message/27916#27916/cid:67E0E5C8-A11C-46EB-ACCB-5176B726A7A7

Hi and thanks for the reply. I have no trouble hooking up with either my slingbox or turning on my appliances. Its when I have finished watching and I want to turn off my appliances that the problem arises. I can turn both my sling box and slingcatcher off all right but the appliances at the other end, so to speak, are still switched on.

Robert

No, you misunderstand.  You never turn the Slingbox off, it stays permanently on.  When you send the Power command to the Slingbox it is the same as tapping the power button on the SlingPlayer virtual remote and should turn off the attached device.

Does that work OK in Slingplayer ?

How do you know the device is not being switched off ?

rvhughes

cid:5883283D-1B06-4CE8-B7C3-FB40D722B0B7

Sorry I missunderstood. As things stand I can send two commands, the first is to disconnect the slingbox from the slingcatcher, using the "disconnect" button, the second is to switch off the slingcatcher, using the "off" button on the (real) remote. However, there is no virtual "power" button on the list of commands at the bottom of the screen when I press "op", as there was when I had my classic hooked up, so there does not seem to be any way to "power on/off" the device. Unlike slingplayer, with its virtual remote. I either power up the device simply by pressing (I think) the "sky" virtual  virtual buttons or, sometimes, the device is already on. Sometimes, however, it is not, which must  mean that, somehow, it is powering off for some other reason (does the sky+HD box have an automatic shut down?). Strange.

Robert

alanrichey42 Master
                          the second is to switch off the slingcatcher, using the "off" button on the (real) remote.

Well, when I press the power button (top right) on the real Slingcatcher remote I get the on-screen message I described allowing me to either power down my Sky box or Turn off the Slingcatcher.   Are you saying you do not get that ?

However, there is no virtual "power" button on the list of commands at the bottom of the screen when I press "op", as there was when I had my classic hooked up

I have have had 2 Slingcatchers and 5 Slingboxes, including 2 Classics, for years, and I have never seen a Power command on the OPT screens.

Unlike slingplayer, with its virtual remote. I either power up the device simply by pressing (I think) the "sky" virtual  virtual buttons or, sometimes, the device is already on. Sometimes, however, it is not, which must  mean that, somehow, it is powering off for some other reason (does the sky+HD box have an automatic shut down?). Strange.

Not strange at all.  Look under Options and Sky+ Setup and it is the last option at the bottom of the screen.

Cheers

Al