5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 19, 2011 12:20 PM by ranaleon RSS

After reading many post on issues trying to watch sling box

brave

Okay, I have read many post on isses relating to streaming speeds etc. Most of them are suggesting slingbox pro will not work after a software update.

The sling boix has given me 6 months of excellent viewing pleasure but in th last 6 months i have been pulling my hair out. i work in south korea where my connection speed is super fast fibre optic so no problems here. in th uk my provider is sky 5.9 dwnload and 700 kbs upload well within the required parms. Please tell me what do i have to do to watch uk tv. Or should i resign ot the fact that sling box is fine when you first purchase and it goes pear shaped after your warranty runs out lol

I have recommended sling box to my friends i now wish  had not. Should i pay the 20 pounds to speak to one of there techie nuts to be told its a problem with my internet provider or should i take my sling box and attack it with a hammer. lol

any help or advice would be very usueful. i also gett he feeling that slign box support sucks reading the many post about simmilar isses.

thanks again, back to my korean tv lol

• Re: After reading many post on issues trying to watch sling box
          alanrichey42 Master
          Okay, I have read many post on isses relating to streaming speeds etc. Most of them are suggesting slingbox pro will not work after a software update.

But you have to remember that no-one ever posts that they have updated their firmware and it is working fine.  People only ever report problems on the forums.  So you are seeing a totally unrepresentative set of experiences.   Let me try and redress the balance by saying I have 5 Slingboxes, that have each been through at least 4 firmware updates each and I have never had a probem

in th uk my provider is sky 5.9 dwnload and 700 kbs upload well within the required parms. Please tell me what do i have to do to watch uk tv.

You don't actually tell us what streaming speed you are getting, but I am in a similar position in that I am supposed to get an 800kbs upload.  In practice I actually get between 400-500 kbs.   And that translates into a practical streaming speed of 350-380 kbs.   Again, this varies with loading, so I notice that my streaming speed drops quite a lot at 1800 at night as everyone else in my village comes home and turns on their broadband.  It often halves to around 150-200 Kbs.

You also have to remember that the Internet was designed so that it tries to find the quickest path between A & B and uses that.  But if a server in that path goes down for maintenance then it has to pick a diferent path that may very well be a lot further and can throttle/upset the stream a bit for a few hours.

Should i pay the 20 pounds to speak to one of there techie nuts to be told its a problem with my internet provider or should i take my sling box and attack it with a hammer.

I don't think Sling Support can help.  From what I have seen a slow streaming speed is very unlikely to be the fault with the Slingbox.

I know I haven't helped you one iota, but I thought we ought to try and keep things in perspective