8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 11, 2017 9:55 AM by hans.wagner@btopenworld.com RSS

Slingbox production ended

ekbsrk Newbie

Just an FYI for everyone. Dont expect any updates or fixes to any problems.Writing was on the wall with the absolute radio silence with regards to bugs, let alone new hardware and features.

Sling Media Halts Slingbox Manufacturing: Report | Multichannel 

• Re: Slingbox production ended
          ekbsrk Newbie

Bump. Just in case this was missed when the forums were hijacked by chinese spam posts...again.

272600240041765 Newbie

Where did you hear this?

bobg8zwf Newbie

"Google is your friend" - even if Sling aren't!

I see that Sling say that they will keep their servers active "for now".

Guess that we need to start actively hacking - otherwise there are going to be a lot of plastic doorstops laying around before too long.

272600240041765 Newbie

Either that or find a viable alternative to the Slingbox.

bobg8zwf Newbie

Finding a viable alternative is one thing, but that would not resolve the issue of thousands of Slingboxes becoming unuseable if and when Sling pull the plug. There are many streaming services existing now that did not exist when Sling first started selling their devices. This - in part - is for sure the reason for Sling stopping production of hardware.

Sling hold patents for their streaming methods, also for their method of pushing firmware updates - unrequested and without the final customers knowledge or ability to refuse the update. They have used this a number of times, not least to "castrate" the functions of some of their products - quite deliberately. It would not surprise me in the least if Sling use this facility to kill all devices at some point, leaving everyone with a plastic doorstop. I'm not sure of the legal aspects if Sling were to do this, but if they were to do and then close the company, I don't see what consumers could do about it.

Also, I think almost without exception, not one of their products has ever been completed - before it has been abandoned and removed from the market. (eg devices with unuseable USB sockets etc). Sling sales adverts state words such as "for future use which will be enabled by firmware update". But it never happens and the product is simply abandoned by them.

Further than this, they have even retired "live" products (eg Slingbox pro), when it was found that the internal tuner firmware had compatibility issues with some service providers, leaving customers with a device that can no longer function as advertised and sold. (In this case Sling had failed to design the original system firmware to handle the correct number of TV channels per frequency, so when the transmitting companies added channels - quite correctly and up to the specification - it caused Slingboxes to crash and was never fixed).

They added adverts to try to get some revenue, much to the disgust of everybody. But even that is a total screw-up, with wrong language adverts being pushed to wrong Countries. These can be blocked easy enough on desktop player software, so they abandoned that software and forced newer boxes to only work with web players. They brought out two versions of mobile app, one free (with adverts) and one paid (without adverts). To me this shows that Sling have a big financial headache. Nothing wrong with the idea of a Slingbox, but they had not considered how to survive after a box was sold. Or at least they knew that this would become an issue at some point and made a decision to sell as much as they could - and then walk away.

The issue for us end users is that the boxes need to "call home" in order to log in to an account. Sling need to provide information publicly to enable users to set up a "local account" prior to Slings services being closed. But I think it is highly unlikely that they will consider this - unless it was forced on them by some legal process. And even then I would have severe reservations as to whether to trust any information they might provide.

No one thing has ever been done to respect and encourage the end user (the final customer). Almost no device has ever been completed fully - in accordance with sales literature. Support forum is rarely responded to by Slings people. Most of their background services have been shut down (for example the online facility to design a remote control was abandoned some years ago). Fortunately one guy has been able to provide remotes that users request and don't exist in the Sling system, but he gets virtually no help from Sling at all.

Sadly, it seems that the writing is on the wall for Slingboxes. It doesn't make happy reading - does it?

I would be happy to see "Mr Sling" respond on these forums. Even to rebuke my words and give us users confidence that there is a long term future for these devices. Let's see!

272600240041765 Newbie

I tried a Monsoon Vulkano years ago, too.  It looks they are not in good shape either.

Monsoon Multimedia Vulkano: Company by Prabhat Jain

jaswinder05 Newbie

Also a long time loyal user of the slingbox.

I have had every generation of the Slingbox and find the device awsome like many many others.

I hate to read such stories that sling are stopping production, no European help center anymore etc.

To the consumer the "Sling" graph is sliding downwards.

I hope Sling become more transparent with what is happening with the company finacialy etc , if it's a case that to survive they need revenue through commercial means (adverts) or a small annual contribution through loyal Sling users then let the customers decide.

For me I would  have my slingbox active than it become obsolete . In a changing world and it demands I understand that plans change BUT that can  be only FULLY understood with transparency from SLINGMEDIA.

I hope someone from Sling management read this and act.......#pleasesaveoursling

hans.wagner@btopenworld.com

Sadly just came across the bad news a few days ago when running into problems with one of my Sling Boxes (M1). Have been using Sling Boxes since 2008. They did everything I needed and their European support team based in Amsterdam was fantastic. There are many expat communities across Europe for whom Sling Boxes were the right (only) solution to watch their native TV elsewhere. Unfortunately, there was never any good advertising in Europe, most people I talked to had never heard of Sling Boxes. Once the European support office had been closed and the Sling Player apps and browser plug-ins stopped working I could no longer recommend Sling Boxes to friends and acquaintances. I do not understand why they never thought about an annual support contract solution, a perfectly normal arrangement in professional IT, to assure a continued income stream. After all, many of us pay annual fees for software such as Office 365. Would strongly agree with previous comments that users should get together to persuade Sling to release code into the public domain so we can continue to operate our Sling Boxes. Why close down competitors (Belkin @TV plus, Monsoon Volcano, ..) if you then chuck your own toys out of the pram?

I still have a collection of video recorders in my loft (Beta, VHS, 2ooo, Video 8, ...). All of these became obsolete because of technical progress. I see no technology alternative today for what Sling Boxes allow me to do.