9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 18, 2011 3:45 PM by NRG Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Ipad app crash and crash and crash

lmdfln

I bought this very expensive app - and after install it works untill i close it - then it wont work - untill i remove it and reinstall.. tried all restore etc.

*** Edited to observe Slingbox Answers Forum House Rules by Moderator. ***

Anyone have a good idea to get it to work - i have naturally tried the only hint on this page, and that does not work..

If not solved by today i will ask for a full refund.

Flemming

Denmark

• Re: Ipad app crash and crash and crash
          copelands

I have exactly the same problem/  The iPhone sling app plays fine on the ipad but the ipad version will play once on install and then when you exit and try and go back in again it just crashes out every time.

I am very unhappy, I bought a slingbox solo to replace my pro to use it with the ipad and I am no further forward.

Pretty disgusting.

dawdle

I have the same problem. Tried everything including putting my iPad in recovery mode. Did a bunch of reinstalls from the iPad and sync from computer. Call Slingbox support and they tell me to call Apple. Seems like there's some bad coding somewhere. Like other posts, the iPhone app works fine.

copelands

I have fixed this and identified the problem I think. I believe it is due to a failed configuration during initial setup on the sling box. If your router does not support automatic configuration and you do not create the port mappings in advance then when it fails during the confgt it corrupts the sling box settings. The iPad app uses a different protocol to the iPhone app which is why the iPhone one still works.

If you create the port maps and firewall rules first, then reset the sling box to factory settings (hold the reset button for 5 secs untilmthe lights alternate) then run the set up again and it will configure properly. I suspect the fault is in the sling box firmware.

dawdle

Copelands is onto something. I reset my Slingbox and went thru the setup again and it works now. In my case, I always had port forwarding because I don't use UPNP. It works now and the picture is great. I'm happy Thanks Copelands.

emphrank

Sorry to sound ignorant.  Can anyone give a step-by-step?  My router didn't allow the auto-setup, so after resetting my SOLO, I had to manually set my port to 443.  I then deleted my SlingPlayer app on the iPad.  I reinstalled the app and still get the first hookup to work, but then every subsequent hookup crashes the app.  Thoughts?

So my steps:

1. Reset SOLO

2. Attempt to auto-setup SOLO - FAIL

3. Change router port to 443 (not 5001)

4. Delete iPad app

5. Reinstall app

6. Restart app - works

7. Try to use app - CRASH

8. Try to open app again - CRASH

copelands

You need to make sure the port mapping is set up correctly. It is both the port maps and the firewall rules that need go be set. It varies by router but on my Netgear you create a service for the Slingbox on whatever port you want, standard is 5001. You then need to assign that port to the Slingbox as a direct mapping. To do this it will need a static address.  You need to make sure you pass both TCP and UDP traffic through the port.

Once that has been done, delete the app from the iPad and reset the sling box to factory settings.  There is a specific process for this which involves holding the reset button for at least 5 seconds and watching for the correct light sequence. Run the sling box set up and choose manual configuration from the options and use the static ip you have given it. It will then test the remote viewing and complete the configuration.

Install the iPad app and run it.  Problem solved.

I am pretty sure it is something to with the firmware in the box and the way it connects with the directory server.

Apprentice

Hi, lmdfln and emphrank.

As stated by copelands, these are the steps to follow:

" You need to make sure the port mapping is set up correctly. It is both the port maps and the firewall rules that need go be set. It varies by router but on my Netgear you create a service for the Slingbox on whatever port you want, standard is 5001. You then need to assign that port to the Slingbox as a direct mapping. To do this it will need a static address.  You need to make sure you pass both TCP and UDP traffic through the port.

Once that has been done, delete the app from the iPad and reset the sling box to factory settings.  There is a specific process for this which involves holding the reset button for at least 5 seconds and watching for the correct light sequence. Run the sling box set up and choose manual configuration from the options and use the static ip you have given it. It will then test the remote viewing and complete the configuration."

Just make sure to follow these steps and let us know how it works for you.

NRG

Just did a full reset on my Solo, ports already mapped on the firewall ( tested with another Slingboc Classic to check), reinstalled iPad app, but still crashes all the time. This is a complete joke, the iPhone app works so this one should be pulled from the store till it s fixed.