I'm getting the same result.
The operation failed because the message is too big.
[Advanced users: the error code is 0x923400df.]
I'm pretty sure it has to do with Slingmedia at fault.
Connecting from 3 different Comcast sites using the Sling desktop app - does not work
Connecting from 1 AT&T site using the Sling desktop app - does not work
Resetting the router connected to the Slingbox - does not help
Connect through IP not using the Slingbox ID - does not help
Connecting to the Slingbox from the LAN - works
Connecting from an iPhone 4 - works
Connecting from Internet Explorer - works
Using the Setup Assistant to watch a single channel using the desktop app - works (How strange indeed?)
It seems to me that the Sling desktop app for Windows is not correctly connecting. It doesn't matter if it's XP or 7.
This issue HAS happened a few days AFTER I upgraded to the latest Slingbox firmware (2.1.80). Initially 2.1.80 has worked properly for a couple days.
I have NEVER gotten this type of issue using the prior firmare to 2.1.80.
I'm pretty confident about networks so I can tell you I've tried everything. I have not found any problems on my network on the client side and the Slingbox side.
Same problem. I am writing this in Finland, the Slingbox Pro HD is in Florida at Comcast network. Four Desktop apps in Win 7 computers at two networks don't work - Macbook Pro and iPod Touch 4th gen work fine, as well as watching throughthe internet with all of these computers.
I have not made any kind of changes recently and would suspect the Sling server being the reason for this..
For me, it is interesting. After upgrading the firmware for about 2 weeks, I started seeing this issue of randomly disconnecting and it is especially bad when changing channels. I had a Slingbox Pro as well, which had no problem whatsoever...
My Sling Player was 184.108.40.2061.
While researching for the solution, I discovered about Sling's Web based player.... and it had no problem connecting to the same Slingbox Pro HD that the desktop software was having issue with. I suspect that the version of Sling box player had something to do with the instability.
I just found that there is a version of the player, 220.127.116.112. I am going to try it out and see if it solves the issue...
I figured part of it out... However, it's still frustrating because it's not my network at fault. It's something with the Sling firmware or software or a combination of both.
If you've port forwarded TCP, then don't use that anymore. Disable it.
Only use UDP -- it works.
Before I had both TCP and UDP opened for port 5001 but I had to close TCP port 5001. This is not a complete fix but at least I'm able to watch.
I'm still waiting on official word from Sling Media.
Troubleshooting AutoCAD and Revit by day, troubleshooting Slingbox by night.
How do you file a support request? I tried to chat with a tech support guy and all he would tell me is that I needed to call their support line and pay $30 to have it solved.
To me, that's just robbery.
I also uninstalled SlingPlayer and downloaded the new version but it didn't work.
This is very frustrating.
Is there anything we -- as loyal customers -- can do? We should not have to pay 30 bucks to fix an error that is probably not our fault?
Hmm, I can't seem to find the link that I entered some information on. It came up when I was researching for the problem... it doesn't seem like that's going anywhere anyway.
I am using the web-based player without problem... in fact, I kind of like it. You run it without having to install SlingPlayer. Also, it seems that even the web-based client is able to do firmware updates and so on. I think Sling is perhaps moving away from a stand-along Windows Application.... (after gaining so much experirence with Ipod/Android platforme).
One thing I notice is that the web-based setup program doesn't seem to let you update firmware remotely. My Slingboxes (yes, I have a few) are all in Asia while I am in US.
I guess as long as they realize that there is a problem, there is hope that it will be fixed.
I have the same problem. Doesn't connect through player but does through web. I'm in Central America and this has been going on since I was home and updated the firmware. I see they are saying it's a firmware problem and I hope they resolve it quickly. I like using the captions as well as the sidebar of the player and the web doesn't allow those things.
I have tried what kmasoodhasen found. This makes sense. I am currently home so I cannot verify at the moment if it will work for me though. I did find in doing so however, that I found two inactive and one active entries so I changed all three. Then I started the sling player and went back to check them. At that point I found a second active entry and changed that one as well. Started sling and went back a third time and all was as I had left it. So be sure to do the follow up. Hoping this will work, as I said, it makes sense. Thanks kmasoodhasen.