15 Replies Latest reply: Mar 13, 2011 8:32 AM by kmasoodhasan Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Slingbox PRO HD stopped working in SlingPlayer

stevenscheer

Hi. I hope someone can help.

I have a Slingbox Pro HD and I never had a problem before but it now doesn't work in SlingPlayer.

It seems like it's connecting. It says starting stream, then optimizing and then the remote pops up ... but then it stops and says can't connect.

I then get this message:

The operation failed because the message is too big.

[Advanced users: the error code is 0x923400df

The strange thing is that it works fine using Sling.com. It's only the SlingPlayer that is giving me trouble.

I updated to the latest version and it still won't work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Steve

• Re: Slingbox PRO HD stopped working in SlingPlayer
          brianlee

I'm getting the same result.

The operation failed because the message is too big.

[Advanced users: the error code is 0x923400df.]

I'm pretty sure it has to do with Slingmedia at fault.

I've tried:

Connecting from 3 different Comcast sites using the Sling desktop app - does not work

Connecting from 1 AT&T site using the Sling desktop app - does not work

Resetting the router connected to the Slingbox - does not help

Connect through IP not using the Slingbox ID - does not help

Connecting to the Slingbox from the LAN - works

Connecting from an iPhone 4 - works

Connecting from Internet Explorer - works

Using the Setup Assistant to watch a single channel using the desktop app - works (How strange indeed?)

It seems to me that the Sling desktop app for Windows is not correctly connecting. It doesn't matter if it's XP or 7.

This issue HAS happened a few days AFTER I upgraded to the latest Slingbox firmware (2.1.80). Initially 2.1.80 has worked properly for a couple days.

I have NEVER gotten this type of issue using the prior firmare to 2.1.80.

I'm pretty confident about networks so I can tell you I've tried everything. I have not found any problems on my network on the client side and the Slingbox side.

Brian Lee

reivaka2@netzero.net

Same problem. I am writing this in Finland, the Slingbox Pro HD is in Florida at Comcast network. Four Desktop apps in Win 7  computers at two networks don't work - Macbook Pro and iPod Touch 4th gen work fine, as well as watching throughthe  internet with all of these computers.

I have not made any kind of changes recently and would suspect the Sling server being the reason for this..

minchinhsiao

For me, it is interesting.  After upgrading the firmware for about 2 weeks, I started seeing this issue of randomly disconnecting and it is especially bad when changing channels.  I had a Slingbox Pro as well, which had no problem whatsoever...

My Sling Player was 2.0.4.521.

While researching for the solution, I discovered about Sling's Web based player.... and it had no problem connecting to the same Slingbox Pro HD that the desktop software was having issue with.  I suspect that the version of Sling box player had something to do with the instability.

I just found that there is a version of the player, 2.0.4.522.  I am going to try it out and see if it solves the issue...

odelld

I have the exact same problem. 

Works on web-based slingbox.com, no problems.

Fail with slingplayer.  WTF??  Slingplayer is up-to-date with latest version.

Please fix slingmedia.

brianlee

I figured part of it out... However, it's still frustrating because it's not my network at fault. It's something with the Sling firmware or software or a combination of both.

If you've port forwarded TCP, then don't use that anymore. Disable it.

Only use UDP -- it works.

Before I had both TCP and UDP opened for port 5001 but I had to close TCP port 5001. This is not a complete fix but at least I'm able to watch.

I'm still waiting on official word from Sling Media.

Regards,

Brian Lee

Troubleshooting AutoCAD and Revit by day, troubleshooting Slingbox by night.

minchinhsiao

Same issue with 2.0.4.522, no improvement.  I filed a support request.  I would suggest you try to see if web player works for you and file a support ticket as well...  If enough people file tickets, they might look into it quicker.

stevenscheer

How do you file a support request? I tried to chat with a tech support guy and all he would tell me is that I needed to call their support line and pay $30 to have it solved.

To me, that's just robbery.

I also uninstalled SlingPlayer and downloaded the new version but it didn't work.

This is very frustrating.

Is there anything we -- as loyal customers -- can do? We should not have to pay 30 bucks to fix an error that is probably not our fault?

minchinhsiao

Hmm, I can't seem to find the link that I entered some information on.  It came up when I was researching for the problem... it doesn't seem like that's going anywhere anyway.

I am using the web-based player without problem... in fact, I kind of like it.  You run it without having to install SlingPlayer.  Also, it seems that even the web-based client is able to do firmware updates and so on.  I think Sling is perhaps moving away from a stand-along Windows Application.... (after gaining so much experirence with Ipod/Android platforme).

One thing I notice is that the web-based setup program doesn't seem to let you update firmware remotely.  My Slingboxes (yes, I have a few) are all in Asia while I am in US.

I guess as long as they realize that there is a problem, there is hope that it will be fixed.

kmasoodhasan

same here.  works on Iphone and IE, but the slingplayer is not working.  Sling, please put out a fix asap.

quaningeneva Newbie

I have all the same problems as well.  My SlingCatcher can only connect to my Slingbox intermittently.  On the Slingcatcher, I get the error message that (1) someone else is connected and need to override or (2) there was a problem communicating with the Slingbox.

waynecoop

I have the same problem.  Doesn't connect through player but does through web.  I'm in Central America and this has been going on since I was home and updated the firmware.  I see they are saying it's a firmware problem and I hope they resolve it quickly.  I like using the captions as well as the sidebar of the player and the web doesn't allow those things.

kmasoodhasan

I figured this out finally !!!

In windows go to firewall

Inbound rules

Find the two entries for slingplayer

Edit properties

In advanced tab check domain

Make sure Public and private are also checked

Done

waynecoop

I have tried what kmasoodhasen found.  This makes sense.  I am currently home so I cannot verify at the moment if it will work for me though.  I did find in doing so however, that I found two inactive and one active entries so I changed all three.  Then I started the sling player and went back to check them.  At that point I found a second active entry and changed that one as well.  Started sling and went back a third time and all was as I had left it.  So be sure to do the follow up.  Hoping this will work, as I said, it makes sense.  Thanks kmasoodhasen.