8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2017 5:59 PM by RSS

Can a USA purchased SlingBox be used in Europe? (and how)

DimiPana
    Visibility: Open to anyone

I searched the FAQs trying to find a clear answer regarding if it is possible/permissible to use a SlingBox that was purchased in the USA in another country, i.e. in the European Union. Specifically, I want to know if the output (usually composite) of an OTA Digital to Analog converter is compatible with any (again, USA purchased) SlingBox. My concern is that in the USA we use NTSC while most European countries use PAL/SECAM. Assuming that finding an appropriate power adaptor for the SlingBox is not an issue, would everything else work? I am requesting a "clear answer" because the FAQ response focuses primarily on the electrical power issue, completely ignoring the NTSC vs PAL/SECAM system possible incompatibility. Thank you very much for your clear answer, actually if you are indeed using a USA purchased SlinBox in Europe, please let me know how you succeeded doing it.   

• Re: Can a USA purchased SlingBox be used in Europe? (and how)
          alanrichey42 Master

The NTSC/PAL discussion is irrelevant as that applies only to OTA TV and unless you are talking about a Pro-HD then no other Slingbox has a tuner.   Composite is a global standard so there is no problem using a US Slingbox.  In fact you will probably find the power adapter is duel-voltage so all you need is a simple travel adapter.  (I have 2 US boxes in the UK)

Thanks for the reply but it did not help much.

Let me explain: Indeed, I do currently have a Slingbox Pro-HD setup in a European country with the PAL system. I am using an OTA D/A converter box feeding the composite input and using the IR function of the SlingBox to control the D/A converter and change channels. It works like a charm, I am not using AT ALL the Pro-HD's tuner function, but I have a problem with poor image quality even though the upload speed is 1Mbps and my download is 30Mbps. I am inclined to believe that the composite PAL output of the D/A converter is not very compatible with the NTSC input of the Pro-HD. I can watch on my PC a static TV program fine but when it comes to sports it is impossible to follow a game. Plus the best viewable screen size I get is QVGA (320x240). Of course things are a bit better when watching over a 5" android phone. Btw, the slingbox app has never worked in my Nokia Lumia 820 with windows 8.1.

So, now that you know the exact setup, what do I have to do to watch a football (=soccer) match not necessarily at HD but say at least at VGA (640x480) resolution?

I want to buy a newer SlingBox but I am not sure which one I should purchase. Can anyone help?

alanrichey42 Master

I am inclined to believe that the composite PAL output of the D/A converter is not very compatible with the NTSC input of the Pro-HD.

Not true,  As I said, the composite video is a global standard so it the UK & US boxes are identical in that respect.  Again I told you I have 2 US slingboxes running here in the UK.  Not sure why you don't believe me.

I want to buy a newer SlingBox but I am not sure which one I should purchase. Can anyone help?

If you are buying a new one the only one on the market is the M2.

DimiPana

To alanrichey42: Sir, I'd like to keep this conversation civil, so please

if you can't refrain from making such childish remarks like "why you don't

believe me", then I suggest we drop this discussion now! I am not sure who

you are but I am an adult in my mid 50s and this kind of talk is not my cup

of tea.

--

If composite is a universal standard then why (back in the old days) a VCR

from the USA did not work in Europe but displayed a distorted image on a

PAL/SECAM TV?. The same applies to the OTA D/A converter box I currently

use but with poor visual results.  Composite may be a universal standard

but its signal must encoded in NTSC for the USA and for PAL/SECAM for the

rest of the world, otherwise any device would work in any country which is

NOT the case as we all know. Therefore when the D/A TV converter I bought

in Europe feeds a SlingBox made for use in the USA, again, *I am inclined

to believe* that the problem is the incompatibility between the composite

PAL/SECAM output going into a composite input that expects NTSC. But,

AGAIN, the key word here is "I am inclined to believe". E.g. I am not an

expert and I do not know what stands true, THAT IS WHY I AM ASKING A

QUESTION HERE !!!

I have looked everywhere online, and a CLEAR answer from SlingBox support

is NOT available. Unfortunately, I would have to pay support for them to

talk to me, but the problem is that I have an older unsupported SlingBox

device with expired warranty and service support and although I am in the

market (hint: potential customer here!) for a new SlingBox (i.e. the M2) NO

ONE at SlingBox can definitively tell me if: A USA purchased M2 will work

with either a) digital OTA TV signal (probably not) or b) digital-to-analog

OTA TV converter with a PAL/SECAM output. I mean it appears as if SlingBox

is not interested in cultivating its customers' base so that they would be

enticed to upgrade and buy a better newer device. Heck, I did spent $150

back then, when I got my Pro-HD, why am I being so ignored now? It's an

interesting marketing approach.

--

Again, if anyone is willing and CAPABLE of decisively answering these

questions, then please do.

Finally, by looking at the back of an M2's connections I realized that it

has only composite and component IN/OUT but no HDMI, which is a HUGE

disappointment. Again, if anyone wants to comment please do.

Hopefully, someone from SlingBox is monitoring this forum and will step in

to provide the necessary clarifications. Again, HINT-HINT: Potential

customer HERE !!!

I'm not sure how much info you would find, since they are not sold in that country. However, there are people that I've seen use it in Asia. It works fine. The only issue would be finding a working remote for that OTA receiver.

It should work just fine, as some OTA use composite like you mentioned. So you'll get picture. As for which Slingbox is best to use? You can use any that has a composite source. You could try this link below, to see if Sling has your remote.

Slingbox.com - Find your virtual remote with the Supported Video Sources Tool

I know for a fact that a SlingBox (i.e. Pro-HD) will work at a European country where the PAL system is used. The power adaptor can be easily solved and (funny that you mentioned it) I was able after some exhaustive search (I admit) to find a virtual remote control that will give me acceptable control with the OTA digital to analog converter box I am using. It is not perfect but (at a minimum) I can turn it ON/OFF, change channels (either numerically or by simply using up/down arrows), adjust the volume AND see program info. My major problem with that SlingBox is that with an upload speed (there) of 1 Mbps and and a download speed (here in the USA) of 30Mbps I can only see QVGA resolution (320x240) at but even then the image quality is very poor, blurry and distorted. For example, watching a soccer game, on my computer I am having difficulty reading what the score is (lol). It is almost pathetic to even bother with it, and I got the Pro-HD for use in the USA primarily where it worked flawlessly, but once I tried overseas, it basically does not do what it's supposed to. So back to my original gripe, SlingBox should come out and say what is the deal: Can a USA purchased SlingBox be successfully used if used as a server from a European country or the PAL to NTSC conversion is going to break the deal. Actually, the exact question I just posed, does exist in the SlingBox customer service FAQs, but the only thing they bother to mention is that the power supply.adaptor is not compatible and that some features will only work in the USA. But no mention what-so-ever whether there is a video incompatibility that will basically deny you a decent viewing experience. I mean, if I were SlingBox's Marketing Dpt. the first piece of information I would disseminate to my customers is that if I want to set up a SlingBox server box in a country other than USA, I must purchase my device there at that country and not in the USA. My ...rant, also has to do with the fact that SlingBox will not spend 1 sec with you on the phone for support unless you have a paying account with them which is in my humble opinion, ...ridiculous. But anyway, thank you ms.T for your reply, much appreciated.