14 Replies Latest reply: Dec 11, 2011 1:21 PM by TG2 RSS

Sling Adapter compatibility?

dbell

Just got the new Sling Adapter for my Dish receiver 722.  Apparently it doesn't work, and I have to go to the web only?  Does anyone know if it's compatible?

Thanks,

• Re: Sling Adapter compatibility?
          dbell

No one knows huh?

alanrichey42 Master

I don't think anyone knows what a 'Sling Adaptor' is.  I certainly don't.

Al

dbell

Sorry, it's very new - came out several days ago.  Engadget did a review on it here:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/18/dish-network-sling-adapter-review/

And here's the info on Dish Network's website:

http://www.dishnetwork.com/tveverywhere/slingadapter/customer.aspx

It only works with Dish Network receivers (the 722 & 722k)

alanrichey42 Master

Clever.   Still not really sure what your question is though.  Do you actually mean 'it doesn't work' ?  If so why not change it ?  And you ask if it's compatible, but surely it is designed for use with the 722 ?

Sorry, I'm confused

Al

dbell

alanrichey42 wrote:

Clever.   Still not really sure what your question is though.  Do you actually mean 'it doesn't work' ?  If so why not change it ?  And you ask if it's compatible, but surely it is designed for use with the 722 ?

Sorry, I'm confused

Al

It works just fine, but you have to view the video over the web at dish.com.  I am wanting to use the stand-alone SlingPlayer for the Mac that I was using with my Slingbox SOLO.  This is probably by design, but wondered if anyone had figured out how to use the stand-alone player with the Sling Adapter?

alanrichey42 Master

but you have to view the video over the web at dish.com.  I am wanting to use the stand-along SlingPlayer for the Mac that I was using with my Slingbox SOLO.  This is probably by design, but wondered if anyone had figured out how to use the stand-along player with the Sling Adaptor

Ah, now I understand, you hadn't mentioned SlingPlayer before.

I think you will find that Sling/Echostar/Dish have written some code into the latest versions of Slingplayer that prevent use of any new Sling product with their devices, thereby forcing you to use the WebSlingPlayer.

The way around it is to get hold of an older version of SlingPlayer.  I have ones for the PC but not for the Mac I'm afraid.  Maybe someone else has them ?

iancull

I tried this last night; my SlingPlayer (for Mac) finds the Sling Adaptor connected to my DISH 722K receiver, listing it in the directory (see attached).

But when I try to watch, it wants a password and of course there's no info provided with the DISH kit.

Meanwhile, DISH tech support says "we don't support Sling, go to their tech support", while of course Sling only gives tech support for THEIR hardware, not this strange half-breed module!

jpthorpe

The password is 'admin' (without the quotes).

TG2 Newbie

Just an update to anyone getting to this point.. Passwords have been changed on some units.  as of L685 firmware on my 722k I'm not able to use "admin" as the password.  still attempting to find a hack for it and will post back if I find one.

admaker

Any work-around to the new password for the sling adapter?  I've been struggling to get one from mine.  I have software L686 on my 722 DVR.  Any help would be great.

TG2 Newbie

Yes ... a "lowball" hack was found..

The password is encoded in the web page when you go to DishOnline.com and select your "My Recordings" off the DVR ... I found if you right click under the DVR icon ... but above the "Refresh" button (both of these on the right side of the page) you can do View Source .. and this will give you the sorce of the page that has the password encoded ("View Source" then search/find "password")

This information has also been posted to your other threads at SatelliteGuys.us

And its bad form to go fifty billion places posting the same thing over and over again.. rather than try one or two places, and give some time for someone to reply.. 24 hours certainly isn't too much to ask for.. especially since the answer was given at least on SatGuys in less than an hour.

zQ6jRwUWxg

Read this post and it was very helpful. my dish sling adapter works now on my ipad sling app which was only configured for Sling PRO. Dish app took up too much bandwidth. Thanks!

TG2 Newbie

I'm betting though you only get Live TV options ... DVR functionality seems disabled at least in the PC stand alone player .. it may be different for the Iphone/ipad app ... also seems odd the Dish version would be that much different other than it seems the requirement for I* devices to be streamed through relay/proxy off dish/sling servers.

ie.. PC ... the stand alone as well as web based applications still require the "administrivia" to occur, but will stream the video/audio data directly from the receiver .. where as most iphone/* android based Apps on the *dish* side (not sling's version) seem to get the stream going out the home gateway, up to a dish/sling server, and back in, to get to the iphone/* device ..

would wonder if the Sling branded version of the app doesn't require the relay.

jordanf1

how do you get the older slingplayer software?