2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2010 6:25 PM by fsnorton RSS

Slingbox Classic No internet viewing after 2.0 upgrade

fsnorton

I have searched the forums and the technical support areas to understand if a solution exists for this issue.. Based on everything i have read and tired over the last several days, the problem sees to be on Sliing's end. Over the "curse" of the last two days, I have tried three routers, including a high end Gigabit rangemax router from Netgear, removed components from my systems such as a wireless bridge and my OOMA trying to narrow down the problem, maybe going through the setup procedure a hundred times or more.   The interesting part of this is that when using the setup utility, the manual settings will bring up a suggested address which may or may not be different than what you manually put in there last time. Usually its 192.xxx.xxx.254 or 253 as some have references. I have been accomodating, sometimes using the suggested address, but the bottom line is that it won/t work after the poirt forwards, to that address in the routers I have tried or any other address I put in.  I am running a westell modem on ATT dsl along with a dd-wrt router typically, but the sling wont work with any router, non dd-wrt or straight out of the box.  The only ultimate thing I can think of doing is to buy a two wire router and see if the westell modem is somehow interfering.  I am sure though if I took this over to a friends house using a cable set up that we would encounter the same problems!  What I ultimately wanted to do was to sling my security video to sling mobile which was uner consideration of purchase, but technical support would not tell me even if the the sling finder service was working. If Sling in fact does read this, I would also like to point out that twhen one goes to the directory to see the disabled slingbox for internet viewing, there is a "placebo" button to removie it, but of course it wont do anything. The hope was by removing it, I could somehow trick the system in to taking another setup. And yes as many have reported, sling used to work for internet viewing but no longer does after doing the firmware upgrade and software upgrade. I think there should be a warning to people not to upgrade.I tired reverting back to 1.5 but it crashes saying the skins wont work, and I also tried installing the 2.0 software on a different computer running a different firewall system. In any event I disabled all the firewalls. 

If anybody has any suggestions to enable remote viewing (my local lan viewing works fine), I welcome them.  I tried to also set the IP address up as a demilitarized zone in the router and that did not work. The interesting thing though is my Sony Location Free Player works like a champ behind my router, But it does not have a mobile client and its video is much lower resolution than what I was able to get with Slingbox Classic.

I appreciate it, my greatest timewaster unfortunately, and I would have given up sooner but I dont like to be beat.  

• Re: Slingbox Classic No internet viewing after 2.0 upgrade
          fsnorton

Well, a little more troubleshooting, I was able to add a slingbox called WANIP when I logged into my sling account, with port 5001, using the WAN address of my router, although I am on aTT dsl. It enabled me to access and played for a while, say a couple of hours. Given that success, I tried to add a slingdyndns account and reconfigured my router but that did not appear to work, or it may have worked one minute and was history.later,  I noticed that while WANIP was playing, the directory would not allow me to connect to the slingbox configured as my internal network IP 192.168.1.47. For that matter, the slingbox has a mind of its own, because I never entered 47 as a set IP address, instead working with another. Anyway after I reset my local network up again, it would now view, but forget using WANIP. That is history. Could not view using my WANIP address or a domain name. And I also notice that when WANIP was working, the slingmobile would not use the WANIP address.

Seems to be what I called it, a waste of time, or people know more than what they are telling.

• Re: Slingbox Classic No internet viewing after 2.0 upgrade
              fsnorton

The solution came from an outside forum who was supported by technical people volunteering from the internet provider. It turns out my internet provider walked me through a power failure some weeks ago with reentering settings into the modem. In doing so, the router was somehow taken out of bridge mode, or it may never have been put there by the tech when we upgraded the dsl to a higher speed. . It still worked mind you as far as my network internet access was concerned, but by virtue of ppp being on the modem, no port forwards were occurring from the router. After putting the modem in bridge mode and assigning a public address, the sling box became confirmed viewable through a dyndns address which I had created specifically for the slingbox last week. After implementng the correction this afternoon, my trial version of Sling Mobile also was able to use the finder key to link up to the classic, although it first displayed an error message as incompatible. So in fact there was no hardware or firmware error resulting from the 2.0 Sling Software upgrade.  I am embarrased but thankful that we were able to arrive at a solution. Frankly I would have never have found it, and any technical support provided by Sling in troubleshooting the problem would have likely been a waste.

Sling Mobile works great although I wish there was someway to clip or take snapshots of the video, so I could email them.