7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 22, 2010 8:12 AM by h20wakebum RSS

Are the new replacment slingbox Pro HD power supplies defective?

keithclancy

My slingbox pro HD works when plugged into my slingbox AV power supply, but will not come online and light the network light using it's origional power supply.  Since it workes on the Slingbox AV power supply I ordered a replacment from the web page.  The new replacment power supply with the lable saying not for use on the old slingbox AV arived today, but does not work.  Are the new replacment slingbox Pro HD power supplies defective?  since I only have one working power supply between two sling boxes my Slingbox pro has been out of service while I used the the slingbox AV.  Since the slingbox pro HD power supply is labled not for use on the slingbox AV I did not want to leave the slingbox AV power supply pluged into the slingbox pro HD.  If all the replacment slingbox Pro HD power supplies defective what if any problems would I have if i ordered a replacment slingbox av powersupply for use on my slingbox pro HD?

• Re: Are the new replacment slingbox Pro HD power supplies defective?
          keithclancy

Can anyone tell me what the minimum and maximum power requirements are for the slingbox pro HD?

I checkered, both my original slingbox pro HD power supply and my new replacement slingbox pro HD power supply measure 5.2 volts unloaded.  The Voltage on the original drops to 2.9 volts when plugged into the slingbox pro HD,   the voltage on the replacement is a little better, at 3.9 volts but well below the published 5.o volts.

As a point of reference, my  slingbox AV power supply reads 6.0 volts when  plugged into the slingbox pro HD.  This is it’s rated voltage with no voltage drop.

So  I know 3.9 volts is not enough, and it works on 6 volts.  Which is only 1 volt over the slingbox pro HD published voltage.

keithclancy

My slingbox pro HD that quit working on my original power supply, and would not work on the replacement power supply has now been running on my slingbox AV power supply for over 48 hours.  Note as you can see below, Slingbox says this power supply is not suitable for the slingbox pro HD.  But I ask if the suitable  one will not work, what is wrong with using an unsuitable one that works.?

After 48 hour  it reads  5.9 volts less than 0.00 amp (min on my clamp on meter) and 122 deg F

http://www.slingbox.com/go/buy-replacement-parts

SLINGBOX AV/TUNER/CLASSIC POWER SUPPLY

Replacement Power Supply for the Slingbox AV/Tuner/Classic. (Note – this item is not suitable for the Slingbox PRO-HD/PRO/SOLO or SlingCatcher).

keithclancy

Apparently no one can answer my questions, but the good news is it is still running on the slingbox AV power supply.  The down side being my slingbox AV does not have a power supply… but some would question the need for two slingboxes.

Apprentice

Hi, keithclancy

The following link will provide you with the Slingbox PRO HD User Guide. This information will allow you to check the technical specifications for the Power Adapter.

Slingbox PRO-HD User Guide

If the Power Adapter does not work in a proper way, we recommend you to contact the Online Store in order to get a replacement.

Contact Sling Media Support

enriquenarez

I ordered a replacement power supply a week ago but they are still back ordered.  Do you have any insight as to when they will finally come back in stock?

keithclancy

The “Slingbox PRO-HD User Guide”  technical support section only restates the same information printed on the old power supply and on the new defective power supply.  It does not state why the power supply was changed from the Slingbox AV, why it is labled it is not to be used on the slingbox AV, or why I should not be using the slingbox AV power supply , which works, rather than the new power supply which does not.

The second suggestion to contact “Contact Sling Media Support”  is just as useless.  When I received the new defective power supply I contacted sling media and confirmed the new power supply was bad. But they could not authorize a replacement.  I had to call back and talk to the sling media store, who only took my email address and said I would be contacted via email.  The follow on email told me they could not replace the defective Power supply, but that I could return it for a refund and order another from the web site.  Did not explain what would keep me from getting the same one back if I returned it before the replacement was shipped.  I responded back to the do not reply to this address email, that I did not feel I should have to pay for return postage since it was their fault for sending me a failed power supply.  I got a email response they agreed I should not have to pay but did not credit my credit card as promised, or  send me a prepaid return label. I contacted Sling media support once again, and was  sent the original response that I had to pay for return shipment, I sent back they had agreed I did not have to pay and turned the dispute over to my credit card who issued me a credit. Sling meda Support then sent me an email asking when and where they should schedule a pickup up. I responded and when the scheduled  dates passed without a pick up, I once again contacted  Sling media support, and got a response I should contact the shipping company, I wrote back that they had not provided me the shipping company’s name or a tracking number for reference.    They responded with a Fedex number which fedex did not recognize and two days later UPS tried to pick-up the package on the 3 days I told Sling Media Support, I would not be available.  I called UPS, and sling media had not authorized them to leave a label, I had to be there to hand them the package. I wrote sling media, saying I had contacted the shipper,  but the shipper required action from Sling Media.  Sling Media responded by canceling the pick-up saying we would start again after the first of year.  Soo… one of these days I will finally get my defective power supply returned so they can fill one of the current back orders.

h20wakebum Newbie

I received a refurbished slingbox pro-hd yesterday with a Ltec AC Adapter (ksaff0500400w1us).

It has a lable showing that this supply is ok for the slingbox solo and catcher but NOT ok for the Tuner, Classic, Pro or AV.

My question is, did they send me a bad/wrong power supply?

My unit won't work, the power light comes on and stays solid, but the network light just stays dull (almost like it's not on and is just receiving bleed from the power led)...

Also. the slingbox logo blinks when i plug it in then goes off.

-Rob