3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2010 1:30 AM by callanish RSS

Upload Bandwidth Limit?

moallj

I have a slingbox setup in Alaska and watch it mostly in Germany.  I have an overall bandwidth limit of 80gb a month, and am using most of it while watching the slingbox in Germany.  Is there any way to bottleneck the upload bandwidth at the slingbox?  Are there any recommendations to drop the upload rate to approximately 512 out of the available 3mb upstream connection. 

• Re: Upload Bandwidth Limit?
          callanish Apprentice

Couldn't you just go into slingbox options on the slingplayer, go to encoding, manually adjust the stream parameters and limit the upload stream. That would solve your problem, unless you are using the slingbox with a slingcatcher which would require you to change the QOS settings at the location of the router where the slingbox is located for some sort of upload bandwidth restriction.

moallj

Encoding in Slingplayer Options only seems to reduce the download bandwidth for the network watching the Slingplayer.  I've adjusted it on both networks and it still uses all available upload capability of internet connection.

callanish Apprentice

I don't know what kind of router you are running, but with my Buffalo router, I'm using a third party firmware on it called Tomato. It allows me to set a specific QOS upload speed to restrict bandwidth usage on the slingbox if needed. When I need to access my router from the U.S to the U.K, I use the remote software logmein ( Free ) and change settings through a netbook that's sitting next to my slingbox. Do you have any tech friends that could check what QOS bandwidth options you have on your router in Alaska or failing that, get them to install the logmein software on their computer so you can take it over remotely, thus accessing your router and seeing what QOS bandwidth options you have on it? Outside of that, I don't know what else to suggest. Hopefully someone more tech savvy than I am can suggest another option.