4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2010 10:40 AM by jaccardo RSS

Fixed IP Address

jaccardo

As part of configuring my Slingbox Solo for internet viewing, I have opened port 5001 to IP Address 192.168.1.5 on the Applications and Gaming tab of my Linksys E3000 router.  The Slingbox Setup assistant confirms that internet viewing is working properly, but I have had problems accessing my Slingbox from outside my home network and wanted to confirm if I needed to assign a fixed IP Address to my Slingbox?  Put another way, is the only router configuration needed to via portforwarding?

• Re: Fixed IP Address
          dbsguy Apprentice

To resolve the issues you've been having, you need to set the internal adress of 192.168.1.5 as a "static IP address" in your router assigned to the slingbox AS WELL AS setting the same static ip address to the slingbox by runing the slingplayer application from a locally connected computer and going to the setup assistant. Under the advanced router setup option you can enter in the aformentioned static ip address. At this point you should be good to go and no longer have the issue(s) you've been having.

jaccardo

Thanks.  That is helpful.  Again, just to confirm, I have opened port 5001 to the IP Address 192.168.1.5 on my router and have specified the same IP Address in the Slingbox setup assistant.  The setup assistant confirms internet viewing is working properly. 

However, I was not sure if I needed to assign a fixed IP Address to the Slingbox as well on my router as well.  I have been a Slingbox user for some years now and have never had to set an assigned or fixed IP address before ... again, beyond what is necessary to forward a port on the router. 

Thanks again.

dbsguy Apprentice

But if you don't assign the address you specified for the slingbox as "static" you'll end up runing into problems down the line if you router reboots and tries to assign a different address to the slingbox. Basically a dynamically assigned address is based on a first come first serve system. If you assign a "static" address to it, it can NOT be assigned anyhing different and that address is reserved solely for the slingbxo's use no matter what else is on within your network regardless of what booted up first.

Again doing so will resolve the issues you've experienced priorly. Why not just eliminate any potential probelms before they could take place.