8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 17, 2011 7:41 AM by dbsguy RSS

FIOS

ratkisson

I don't see any references to FiOS.  Does Slingbox work with FiOS?

• Re: FIOS
          dbsguy Apprentice

Yes. A slingbox will work on any broadband interconnecttion/ISP including FIOS....

PS: It will typically work best on FIOS for that matter due to the services high bandwidth in terms of upload speed for remote viewing

ratkisson

I was going to get the SOLO.  Is there anything special I will have to do or is it as simple as following the directions?  I have the classic and can't get the remote to work and have to have the box on the channel that I want to watch...also doesn't work with MAC, so I was gonna upgrade to the SOLO.

dbsguy Apprentice

The solo acts just like the classic, except it doe NOT have an internal tuner. It will function the same way your classic does now. Only the Pro HD has an internal tuner; but no tuner works for FIOS. You'll have to plugg it to the output of the fios tv provider box; so you will still be limited to watching the same thing as the local tv user. If they change channels, so will yours and vice versa. That's not an issue with slingbox, but rather a limitation of FIOS itself.

Trthfully, you should keep what oyu have for now (the classic I mean), and just put in the correct custom bin for the remote to work. You'll find it on the hi-fi forums as others have already overcome this issue.

ratkisson

Thanks, but one thing the classic does not do is work with a MAC.  Anyway, where is the hi fi forums?  I looked for it and cannot locate.  Also, I did try to get the right bin, but I am not savvy enough to figure out how to make it work.  Any suggestions?

dbsguy Apprentice

Actually after a quick check using the the "search" feature of this site,you'd discover:

https://community.sling.com/message/26214#26214

The instructions for use on both PC and mac are located in the readme within the zip file itself.

ratkisson

Appreciate your help here.  I downloaded that before and did what it asked, however, I didn't move the IR lines all over.  I guess I will have to try that.  Also, the classic doesn;t work with Droid, so I will probably get the SOLO anyway.  After I get the Classic up and running I go get the SOLO.

theyeman

HOW DO YOU CONNECT THE PRO HD SLINGBOX TO FIOS?  DONT YOU HAVE TO REMOVE THE HDMI CABLE THATS CONNECTED TO THE TV? ONLY ONE SET OF COMP. OUT ON FIOS BOX. AND THE SLINGBOX WILL USING THE ONLY ONE AVAILABLE ON FIOS BOX. WHAT CAN I DO?

dbsguy Apprentice

It depends if your FIOS box will allow use of all a/v outputs simultaneously. If it does you can go HDMI out to the TV while using component video for the slingbox.

If your FIOS box is limited by Verizon's implementation of firmware, then it's still a win win sistuation. Use component video and audio cables to go from the FIOS box to your slingbox's component video inputs. The Slingbox also incoporates a loop back set of component video and audio outputs. run another set of component video and audio cables from the output of the Slingbox back to your TV.

One of those 2 senarios is your solution.