6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 17, 2010 8:43 PM by Sachmo Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Is it safe to buy a Solo or is Sling forcing me to buy a Pro???

ckwong23

I keep reading about the Solo problems.  I used to have the Pro and it worked great but sold it when I moved.  I now only need the Solo but reading all of these problems I am concerned.  Is anyone buying new ones?  Did the fix the capacitor issue????

• Re: Is it safe to buy a Solo or is Sling forcing me to buy a Pro???
          jimfitzgerald Apprentice

I bought a new SOLO a couple months ago.  I have had zero problems with it.  The install was very easy with no problems at all.  I am using it with my laptop and Motorola Droid.  I connect to my Charter cable box using component cables and Roku using an S-video cable.

shanj9 Newbie

If you spend some time reading the forums and doing some googling, you will find that many of us have had issues with the slingbox solo failing after approximately 12-15 months.  It will work wonderfully for you for at least a year, but many people have had issues with reliability issues after a year of solid use.

Expert

Also note that we stand by our products and we make every effort to help those who are having issues with their SOLOs - if you are having any streaming or networking issues, I'd advise you to check this article:

Troubleshooting Slingbox SOLO streaming and network issues

And if those steps don't resolve your issue - call us! We're here to help. While you're Googling those cases mentioned above, you may notice that 100% of the people who actually called had their issues either resolved or were sent a replacement Slingbox - on our dime!

Thanks

The Sling Support Crew

Sachmo

Mine, like many others started dieing after about 12 months of use. This thread https://community.sling.com/message/25922 details the problem pretty well. If you have issues within the 90-day period everything is all good. You can call them and they'll help you for free. If you have problems outside the 90-day period, Sling requires you to pay $30 just to talk to someone about the problem. You'll hope that they'll agree there is a hardware problem and refund you afterward. But if you get a problem after the one-year warranty expires (like me and many others), you'll find yourself in the situation user ckelly3575 found himself in:

"When I called tech support I was told I had to pay $30 to have them check to see if it is a hardware issue, then if it is found to be a hardware issue, I will get refunded my $30 off the $100 price to replace my slingbox.  So basically I have to pay an extra $70 to fix the problem.  If they don't find the problem to be hardware related and cannot solve the problem, I was told I still had to pay the $30 fee.  The customer service rep was extremely rude and unhelpful.  Even went as far as to tell me that this is not a common problem.  Doesn't look that way to me.  Must be nice to have actually gotten help like others have posted, but that was not the case for me.  I was told those were my only options. Pay $30 and either lose it or have to pay an additional $70 to fix the problem, but the rep couldn't guarantee that it wouldn't happen again."

In that thread you'll notice Sling representatives saying that for many people they waved all fees regardless of warrenty status. That's nice, but the documentation they link (http://support.slingbox.com//get/solo-troubleshooting.html) does not agree:

"However, if we determine that your issue is a warranty hardware issue that we cannot resolve over the phone, we will:

• Replace the Slingbox SOLO for free.

• Refund the support fee you purchased."

The uncertainty and mixed messages are really the worst part. I wish they had done what Microsoft had done with the Xbox 360, extend support for customers who experience a specific widespread problem. I love the product when it worked, but if I had researched before my purchase as you seem to be doing, I would have not bought it.

Message was edited by: Sachmo for spelling.