8 Replies Latest reply: Dec 7, 2011 9:48 AM by golfntyme RSS

Radio Interference

CharlieC

My SlingBox Classic works just fine, however, it wipes out reception on  AM reception on my radios.  All static.  Anyone have this problem?

• Re: Radio Interference
          dbsguy Apprentice

It shouldn't. how do you have it connected to your router? Are you using a wireless adapter of some sort? If so that could be the cause of your issue (interferance on the wireless 2.4 ghz channel that overlaps on the am radio band perhaps....

Other then that, I can't think of anything that would cause the issue in terms of the slingbox....

CharlieC

No, the connection is not wireless.   It is connected directly to the router.

dbsguy Apprentice

I'm assuming you have a standard loop am antenna most liekly next to or behind your equipment correct? If so move the antenna and it's wiring away from the slingbox or any other piece of equipment for that matter. It may be a power supply or power cord from one of the pieces of equipment causing the interferance.

Other than that, as I mentioned, there should not be a possibility of the slingbox itself causing rf interferance.

CharlieC

Thanks for your response.  Here's the situation:  On 3 batteries radios  and 4 plug-in radios in a variety of locations through-out our two-story  house, and on 2 car radios in the garage and on the driveway, I have static that wipe out any AM broadcasts.  I found the source (SlingBox) by having a radio on in the garage and turning off circuit breakers one at a time until the static stopped and the radio worked.  I tracked that circuit down to the den where all my computer/network/SlingBox equipment is located.  With the circuit on and a radio on, I unplugged each component until  the static stopped and the radio worked when I unplugged the SlingBox.  I  changed the power supply which did not change the situation.  That's  why I believe the actual SlingBox unit is the problem.  I've been  researching EMI or RFI filters, but haven't been able to find what I  think I need.  I'm also concerned that if I find a filter, the cost  will be too expensive to consider.  Perhaps the final solution is to  just buy a new later model SlingBox.  Thank you again for your ideas and  suggestions.

dbsguy Apprentice

That is indeed a unique sistuation. In fact I've never experienced that to this point. There must be something that is indeed leaking rf and introcuing into yout am frequency spectrum. the only reason for this as you described is a faulty unit. As you eluded to, I would purchase a new unit and see if that fix's the senario. If not, simply return the unit to best buy or the local retailer you purchased it from for a full refund. no loss no gain....

tonypan

Hi, nit sure if you've sucessfuly resolved your issue, but I had the same problem that affected FM signal also. I solved the problem by using a higher quality LAN cable which I assume had better shielding. The cable that caused the problem was the one I got with the box - flat ribbon format, Hope that helps.

marbai

We had the same problem and solved it by replacing the power supply with a different one. It is not an OEM power supply and I would not suggest using another brand unless you're comfortable matching the specifications. Apparently the original chinese power supply causes AM radio interference sometimes/when it's old.

golfntyme

I'm having the same problem!

It's making all 5 of my neighbors garage doors not work!!! They are going to kill me when I tell them what is making everyones malfunction. If Slingbox was a good company they'd be happy to exchange our defective power suppy units for new ones...

Slingbox people... If you're listening please let meknow if I can send it back for a new powersupply.

Please advise,
                            Brad