16 Replies Latest reply: Dec 7, 2010 2:10 PM by schurder RSS

Unable to Reset Slingbox Solo

MasterEales

Hello,

My Slingbox has stopped working, so I've tried to reset it...holding down the reset button for 5 seconds...but nothing happens.

I have powered off the unit for a while, turned back on...but still unable to connect or use it...or even reset it to factory settings.....I've only had it acouple of months....

Any ideas?

Thanks

Chris

• Re: Unable to Reset Slingbox Solo
          mark.a.walker@sprint.com

I am having the same issue.  I recently got a new router and learned that I needed to hard reset.  I did that once and when after I had difficulties connecting, I tried again and it will not reset.  Does anyone know if all connections need to be there (A/V, etc.) and whether it needs to have an IP connection to do a factory reset?

EBone

Same issue here. Solo just stopped working, and will not reset.

ChicMac

Ditto. The Ethernet connection was not established so tried to reset - nothing. It feels like it's dead.

Any thoughts?

Johnston910

Ditto - having the same issue.  Started with the software update - which didn't solve the disconnecting problem - so hit the reset button and now the box seems dead.  Called tech support - and they basically said tough - either pay $30 for a one time fix or $50 for new warranty or find the answer on our website - obviously not easy to do.  I have quickly gone from being a huge fan to someone who will NEVER recommend the product!

shanj9 Newbie

Same issue too.  Tried replacing the power adapter.  That worked for about one month, but now I'm back to the same issue.  So far, sling support has only been able to recommend that I call their support staff for a $30 troubleshooting session.  I have not tried that. If you've only had the box a few months, then i think its still under warranty and they might actually replace it free of charge.  Those of us outside our warranties are not so lucky....

shanj9 Newbie

Just replaced the two blown capacitors in my solo this afternoon and its up and running again. If your solo is still under warranty, then call slingmedia support to discuss getting a new box. But if you're outside of warranty, then you might want to look into replacing your capacitors if you're comfortable. Obviously fiddling with the hardware would likely void any warranty you have, but if you're past warranty, then its a thought.

Message was edited by: shanj9 for spelling

ChicMac

Hi Sanj9

Can you describe where these 2 capacitors are on the pcb? I opened my slingbox to check the reset switch was working but wasn't looking at damaged/blown components.

I suspect this is a different problem since one of the LEDs was lit so power is getting through.

Thx,

C

shanj9 Newbie

C,

I can't really post anything about how to find or fix your capacitors on these official slingbox forums. However if you do a Google search of slingbox solo capacitor issues, you should be very easily able to find other forums (like placeshiftingenthusiasts) that discuss this issue at length.

bsjacobs

Same problem here.  I first noted problem with unable to connect and the network light was out.  I ensured my network was working and replaced the ethernet cable and restarted router, without success.  I tried to reset and the reset button did not appear to do anything.  Could there have been some sort of recent software or firmware update that caused this?  Several of us seem to be experiencing this at the same time.  My box had been working fine for many months.

MasterEales

Mine was fine until after the update.....couple of days later i had to turn it off / on....since then nothing just the red light

Only had it about 4 months, so i think i'm going to call the UK support line and ask for a replacement...if i can find the number!

Do any slingbox staff members read any comments on any of these posts!?

ChicMac

Hi

An extra piece of info for this puzzle (my ethernet stopped & I was unable to reset the box). I bought a used slingbox from ebay & realised the ethernet connection in in old box worked with the new power supply. I didn't persevere with the old box - i may do that later, so there may be something in this new firmware update that is draining extra power beyond the slingbox's ability to supply.

I'll update if I get the old box working with the new power supply.

bsjacobs

one other thing I noted in addition to other symptoms above.  My video appears to be going through the slingbox to the TV fine, but my audio does not.  Perhaps sounding more like a hardware problem?

I also called slingbox and frustrated that they would charge me for a support case.  I am out of the 90 day support period, but still within the one year warranty period and they said if they felt it was a hardware issue after I purchase the support, they would refund my fee. 

spyhill

I see I am not alone.  My Slingbox solo was working fine on my new network until Nov 23 or 24th.  Now I can't reset it and it cannot find it on my network even though the two red lights are on and it is connected directly into the router.  Hope someone posts a solution that will help me. Thanks.

Phyllis

tirademan

Same problem here. My Solo was working fine for over a year until a couple days ago when it said I could no longer connect to it.

schurder

Me too - Slingbox has been working great for a coupel of years but stopped a few weeks ago and nothing happens when I try to reset. The power light is on full but there is only a weak red light on the ethernet signal - it's definitely on though. I was planning on calling the paid for support but it sounds like I may be wasting my money. Has anyone successfully resolved this issue?

schurder

The solution appears to be to replace the power adaptor. Either buy one from Slingmedia online or a generic one such as this one http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48517 which I bought. You will probably need to reinstall your Slingbox.