5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 10, 2011 9:59 AM by alanrichey42 Branched to a new discussion. RSS

UK expat living in the States

athomas058

Simple question hopefully: Can I instal a slingbox in the UK to provide a feed fro viewing in the States? I miss cricket and rugby!

Thanks in advance.

• Re: UK expat living in the States
          alanrichey42 Master

Yes, lots of us are doing that

irishtex

Good morning - I have a similar question around Rugby (specifically the World Cup next month).

I am hoping to get one of my Kiwi or Aussie friends to set up a slingbox at their house (in NZ or Oz) and then hook it up to my Direct TV - DVR here in the US. I assume via my laptop / internet connection.

I wish to actually record the games as the time difference will make it impossible to watch the games live.

So my question is: can anyone point me towards an "idiots guide" to all of this (I heard of slingbox about 30 minutes ago for the first time) as I will need to explain it all to whichever mate agrees to help out.  I'm thinking a full list of equipment (at his end and mine), and installation instructions including how to record on a DVR from a source other than the satalite.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

M.

alanrichey42 Master
                I am hoping to get one of my Kiwi or Aussie friends to set up a slingbox at their house (in NZ or Oz) and then hook it up to my Direct TV - DVR here in the US. I assume via my laptop / internet connection.

It doesn't work like that.   The DVR needs to be at the same location as the Slingbox.  The ONLY thing you can do in the USA (or anywhere else)  is to watch the recordings off a NZ DVR (or Live TV) on your PC/laptop/phone.   So if your mate is using his DVR to record the games then he just needs to add a Slingbox to his setup and you are good to go.