6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 17, 2011 10:34 AM by ranaleon Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Transfer a Windows Mobile license to a Android license

SMcDonnold

I swapped out my Windows mobile phone for a Android phone.....can I transfer the Windows Sling Mobile license that I have to be a Android Sling Mobile license or do I have to buy a new license?

• Re: Transfer a Windows Mobile license to a Android license
          knappad

Dear Android User,

I also upgraded to an Android from a Windows phone.  After going through the web site and only finding a link to Android Market place, I called support.  I was informed that Sling Media is not a product of Sling Media and I would need to buy another license.  I have only owned the software 4 four months, and just this week My Sling box HD Pro, (6 Months old) stopped working.  I sure am glad I didn't buy this upgrade for the Android.  I guess the question I would be asking is why Sling Media can’t develop their own Android app.  After all they are allowing users that had Windows phones to move their license to other types of phones, but not Android????

Good Luck,

KNAPPAD

alanrichey42 Master
              After all they are allowing users that had Windows phones to move their license to other types of phones, but not Android????

I think you will find they can only move the licence to other Windows phones, not to IPhone, Symbian,,,  

Remember that these are all completely different applications so I see no reason why they should allow you to move the licence.  If I asked Microsoft to move my MS Office licence from my PC to my new Mac I can guess what their answer would be 

tedkord Newbie

No, a windows mobile user can transfer to blackberry, symbian or another winmo phone. In fact, that was one of the selling points when I purchased my copy - I was guaranteed I could transfer my license to any future phone, so long as it was only on one phone at a time. Then came iPhone - not really Sling's fault, but Apple's for allowing apps only form their app store. Sling could have worked around it, though - maybe a rebate of the price for iphone transfers.

However, there's no such restriction on Android. This is, pure and simple, Sling's greed and unconcern with keeping their word. "We told you you would be able to transfer your license to any future phone? Oh well, lump it. We changed our minds."

If and when I go the android route, I will either give or sell my WinMo license to someone else, depriving Sling of a sale, balancing things out. If they think they're going to make an extra sale off lying to me, they're seriously deluded.

Martin4Jay

I total disagree I think they should go half way and give a incentive discount to encourage customers to stay with them.

Cheers

Apprentice

Hi, SMcDonnold and all.

The following link will provide you with the options in order to transfer the Registration Key or license for your Mobile device, depending on where you purchased it.

Can I move SlingPlayer Mobile from one handheld to another?