4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2011 3:45 PM by jazz4dk RSS

Newbie Question on setup

Excelsior123

I am trying to determine if this setup might work.  My goal is to be able to wireless watch TV on any computer in the house and maybe remotely watch TV on a laptop when I am elsewhere.

I have my Verizon Fios Router connected to my computer in one room.  The set top boxes(DVRS) are connected in two different rooms and not by the router.

Next to my computer and Verizon Fios Router is a Verizon Motorola DZT-700 box that connects to my computers video card, enabling me to watch tv on my computer.

Can I use the Slingbox Pro Hd?  Since this Motorola DZT-700 box doesn't give me HD channels, I would of course only get the standard digitial channels.

Wouldn't I then be better with the Slingbox Solo box if this works?  Also, how would channels be changed remotely.  This Motorola DZT-700 box uses a wireless remote control.

If I want the full functionality.  Can a "Wireless Bridge Router" be added to the Slingbox next to my TV in the TV room that would connect to my computer room's Router?  or add a USB Wireless on the Slingbox to connect ot computer rooms Router?

I appreciate it for anyones help on this!!

• Re: Newbie Question on setup
          Apprentice

Hi Excelsior123,

Let me help you with this,

Can I use the Slingbox Pro Hd?  Since this Motorola DZT-700 box doesn't give me HD channels, I would of course only get the standard digitial channels.

I tried to get information about the DZT-700 but I couldn't find anything, do you have the Motorola DCT-700? If you connect this TV source to the Slingbox PRO-HD you will get Standard Definition and not HD so probably it will be better to get a Slingbox SOLO

Wouldn't I then be better with the Slingbox Solo box if this works?  Also, how would channels be changed remotely.  This Motorola DZT-700 box uses a wireless remote control.

The quality will depend on the Internet Speed at home,

Slingbox SOLO Overview - Tech Specs

If I want the full functionality.  Can a "Wireless Bridge Router" be added to the Slingbox next to my TV in the TV room that would connect to my computer room's Router?  or add a USB Wireless on the Slingbox to connect ot computer rooms Router?

It will work with a Wireless bridge or a Power bridge like the SlingLinks. With a USB Wireless it will not work with the Slingbox.

Regards

• Re: Newbie Question on setup
              Excelsior123

Fofo,

Thanks for your response!

As a matter of clarification the Verizon box that I have is a Motorola DCT-700.  (not DZT).  Then could this cable box work ? The adapter that comes with the Slingbox could change its channels remotely too?

Could a network bridge like the Netgear Wnce2001 work with the Slingbox Solo?

If all of the above work then all I would need is the Slingbox Solo, right??

Too bad Wifi is not built into the Slingbox.  It would make things easy for all.  Maybe when they update the slingbox in the future, it will then include it!!