3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 27, 2010 1:45 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

Please help a Newbie!

Anniel Newbie

I am not very technical. Today a friend set up my Slingbox Pro and it works well on my laptop. I have also purchased a Sling Catcher for use when I stay with my son in the Caribbean. I have used the wireless Turbo plugs to connect to my router as it is a separate room from my Sky box and my Slingbox.

My questions are:

1. Should I configure the Sling Catcher here in the UK before I leave for the Caribbean?

2. Do I need to take my laptop to the Caribbean in order to make the Sling Catcher to recognise my Sling Box in the UK? Or can I just use his laptop to

log to my slingbox acct. here in UK

3. Can someone explain to me in simple terms how the Catcher works? Is it really just a matter of attaching a cable from the Sling catcher to the TV?

or is there extra setting up work to do?

I would be grateful for any help and reassurance as my son is also not very techie and I really do not want to end up ringing the Slingbox people from overseas.

Anniel

• Re: Please help a Newbie!
          alanrichey42 Master
          I am not very technical. Today a friend set up my Slingbox Pro and it works well on my laptop. I have also purchased a Sling Catcher for use when I stay with my son in the Caribbean. I have used the wireless Turbo plugs to connect to my router as it is a separate room from my Sky box and my Slingbox

First point to make is that you MUST have the Slingbox setup for remote viewing.  So take the laptop to someone else's house or a WiFi hotspot and make sure.

1. Should I configure the Sling Catcher here in the UK before I leave for the Caribbean

Not necessary but it does no harm.   It might be a good idea to set the video resolution to the one you expect to use in the Caribbean.  The Sligcatcher can drive NTSC and PAL but if the wrong one is selected you might not get a picture.

2. Do I need to take my laptop to the Caribbean in order to make the Sling Catcher to recognise my Sling Box in the UK? Or can I just use his laptop to log to my slingbox acct. here in UK

Again no need, he Slingcatcher is a self-contained unit.  Once it is plugged into the router in the Caribbean and into the TV you do all the logging on and setting up through the box itself and the TV.

3. Can someone explain to me in simple terms how the Catcher works? Is it really just a matter of attaching a cable from the Sling catcher to the TV? or is there extra setting up work to do?

Once it is plugged into the Internet via a router and you log in to your Sling Account it displays the Slingbox(es) on the screen and you just select and watch them.   It simply gets the same signal as your laptop, but instead of displaying it on an LCD screen it sends it to a TV.

Anniel Newbie

Thank you for your propmpt reply,Alan.

I have set up the slingbox for remote viewing and my friend has been able to access the slingbox and confirm that it is working (he does live in the same apartment block as me)

I am pleased that i do not need to take the rather heavy laptop with me. I will take your advice and check the video resolution in the Caribbean and then find out where I set it on the slingbox..is it easy to find?

It sounds like having the Slingcatcher is a good idea...the weather is hot and having to get up and down and fiddling with the laptop would not be as good as being able to view programmes directly just using the remote control.

I will make sure i have followed your instructions. I now feel confident that if I have any problems I can ask here or phone the technical people at Sling Box.

Thank you for your assistance.

Anniel

alanrichey42 Master
                  I am pleased that i do not need to take the rather heavy laptop with me. I will take your advice and check the video resolution in the Caribbean and then find out where I set it on the slingbox..is it easy to find?

Yes, 'Video' is the first entry under the 'Settings' menu.

I will make sure i have followed your instructions. I now feel confident that if I have any problems I can ask here or phone the technical people at Sling Box.

Cheaper to post here