8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 13, 2011 9:17 AM by jazzdj RSS

Why I hate Sling Box.  Setup issues.

LAJoe

After setting up my account, installing the plug-in, and giving my  firewall permission for Sling Box, I took the following steps to get it  to work.

1. Started with “Watch” which took me to the  place to establish the Slingbox ID.  What and where is “desktop  software”?  Where are “properties”?  There is reference to “FAQs” on  bottom of this page, but there is no link.

2. Tried IP address, but page does not accept my IP and port.

3. Went to “setup” at the top of the page, and went in circles.

4.  Went to “support” and now had to guess as to whether I am “getting  started”  or “setting up your slingbox”.  They sure sound the same.

5. Chose “getting started”.  Goes to “player help”.  Not the issue.  Already have the plug-in.

6.  “Troubleshooting” takes you to a list of issues related to watching,  but that is apparently not the problem.  Can’t watch if I am not  connected.

7. Back to set-up.  I am going to be using Sling Links,  so I click on the icon.  Takes me to a picture that shows the Sling  Link plugged into the Sling Box, but there is no wire going from the  SlingBox to the wall.  Hmm.  Why is there a power cord for the Sling  Box?

8. Guess I’ll see about the lights.  Both of mine are on, not  blinking.  Web page tells me to relax.  Fine, but how about telling me  what to do next.  There is NOTHING on this page that tells the user what  to do next!  Got to hit the back button on your browser twice to get  back to “support.”  Now what was the issue?  Oh, yes.  Getting hooked up  to the Internet.  Click on it and I am back to where I was 20 minutes  ago, and where I found no help whatsoever.  Now what?

8.  Typed  in  “can’t connect to the Internet” in the search box.  First option  appeared relevant: “can’t connect when at home”.  In reviewing this  article, it is clear that the implication is that one was once connected  to the Internet.  Irrelevant.  Back to “Setting up your Sling Box.”   Already been there and already followed the instructions.

9. I am  done.  This is the most complex, confusing, circular, often irrelevant  and never helpful set of instructions on a web page that I have ever  encountered.   Will try customer support when it opens, but up to now,  this has been absolute misery.

• Re: Why I hate Sling Box.  Setup issues.
          jimfitzgerald Apprentice

Have you ever fooled with a computer or electronic device before?  Evidently not from some of your questions.

LAJoe

Yes, I have more than fooled with computers.  I usually know more than the technicians with whom I speak.  I eventually got through to Sling Meda's tech support.  Between working with my Sling Links, Sling Box, Router, and Internet settings, I would say that there were, very conservatively, 20 steps involved in getting my Sling Box to function.  I defy 99.9% of those trying to accomplish what an extraordinarily patient and competent tech did.  By the way, we were on the phone for the good part of an hour.  There is NO way that anyone could have done what the tech did who wasn't a trained and experienced technician.  The Sling Box web site is a disaster!!

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

I bought my Slingbox and SlinkLink Turbo a couple months ago.  I looked at the simple instructions that came with it, plugged it in, turned it on, and everything worked.  It couldn't have been simpler.  I then downloaded the app for my Droid and it worked perfectly also.  I don't know how it could have been made any simpler unless it came with a guy that installs it for you.

LAJoe

Congratulations, Jim.  You are in the .1 group.  I wish that I had been that lucky.  If it took a tech almost an hour and over 20 steps to accomplish what you did so easily, you are indeed fortunate. Let's let future users form their own opinion based on their experience.  Yours was obviously a good one; mine was a nightmare.

Enough said.

stakelum

I bought the HD and been trying unsuccessfully to install for about a month. Tech support is useless and I am returning this POS with a recommendation that no one else should purchase this headache.

mtweedle

I am having exactly the same problems. THe setup software discovers the Slingbox.  then it reminds me to make sure its all plugged in.  Then it freezes solid.  and around we go. What is a slingbox number?  Serial number?  No.  "Mac No.?"  No.  It is a mysterious entity with 32 digits, but where is it? 

LAJoe

Having initiated this thread with a lengthy recounting of my nightmare experience with the Slingbox and the Sling Media website, I think it is important to bring you all up to date and perhaps to help.  As I mentioned, I eventually got my Slingbox to work, including using the SlingLinx because my TV feed is not in the room where I have my modem.  Since then, I have had to call Customer Service at least 3-4 times, not because of anything wrong with the device or program, but because of "issues" that I couldn't resolve on my own, some silly (you can't have the program running on two computers at the same time). In fairness to the Slingbox folks, I was always able to get through in relatively short time and received polite and appropriate help each time.  I use the Slingbox frequently, either on my laptop next to my desktop, or a recent trip over the holidays (3000 miles away from my home) where I used the program everynight for 8 nights.  It worked flawlessly.  I won't revisit the setup problems, but let me urge those having difficulty to call Customer Service.  All things considered, I find Slingbox an amazing piece of technology and endorse it wholeheartedly. Don't give up.  I am glad that I didn't.

jazzdj

I too went through many frustrating days trying to get my Slingbox AV (new old stock, essentially the same as the newer Solo) to connect to the internet for remote viewing. Oh the basic home network set up is nearly PnP, but Sling Media info for trouble shooting that "internet connection" for external viewing is nearly non-existant.

Networks, Computers and software are nothing new to me, I've been a writer in the IT world for over 25 years, and managed within network hardware companies like SMC and Accton.  So I can competantly say, some aspects of setting up SlingBox is easy with the company provided software, and some, like external networking for internet viewing, absolutely sucks and either well hidden within a terrible website structure, or then non-existant.

Like others reported above, it took some 40 minutes for a telephone TS guy to fix the problem WITHIN the SlingBox (which means you and I could NOT have done it) to compensate for lost packets due to my DSL service apparently (AT&T - what else!? Ha!) and the TS guy would not even tell me how and what he did. Which tells me, a consumer could not, or is not allowed, to do the modifications via their VERY rudementary setup software! So what am I supposed to do when I move and have a different ISP or other physical conditions!?? Not a happy or confident consumer with this notion.

***Edited to observe Slingbox Answers Forum House Rules by Moderator.***