After setting up my account, installing the plug-in, and giving my firewall permission for Sling Box, I took the following steps to get it to work.
1. Started with “Watch” which took me to the place to establish the Slingbox ID. What and where is “desktop software”? Where are “properties”? There is reference to “FAQs” on bottom of this page, but there is no link.
2. Tried IP address, but page does not accept my IP and port.
3. Went to “setup” at the top of the page, and went in circles.
4. Went to “support” and now had to guess as to whether I am “getting started” or “setting up your slingbox”. They sure sound the same.
5. Chose “getting started”. Goes to “player help”. Not the issue. Already have the plug-in.
6. “Troubleshooting” takes you to a list of issues related to watching, but that is apparently not the problem. Can’t watch if I am not connected.
7. Back to set-up. I am going to be using Sling Links, so I click on the icon. Takes me to a picture that shows the Sling Link plugged into the Sling Box, but there is no wire going from the SlingBox to the wall. Hmm. Why is there a power cord for the Sling Box?
8. Guess I’ll see about the lights. Both of mine are on, not blinking. Web page tells me to relax. Fine, but how about telling me what to do next. There is NOTHING on this page that tells the user what to do next! Got to hit the back button on your browser twice to get back to “support.” Now what was the issue? Oh, yes. Getting hooked up to the Internet. Click on it and I am back to where I was 20 minutes ago, and where I found no help whatsoever. Now what?
8. Typed in “can’t connect to the Internet” in the search box. First option appeared relevant: “can’t connect when at home”. In reviewing this article, it is clear that the implication is that one was once connected to the Internet. Irrelevant. Back to “Setting up your Sling Box.” Already been there and already followed the instructions.
9. I am done. This is the most complex, confusing, circular, often irrelevant and never helpful set of instructions on a web page that I have ever encountered. Will try customer support when it opens, but up to now, this has been absolute misery.