10 Replies Latest reply: Feb 10, 2017 11:16 AM by lockjaw43 RSS

What is different between a Slingbox 350 and an M2?

lockjaw43
    Visibility: Open to anyone

I have a 350 and I am wondering if there's a substantive difference between them. My setup currently has a kludge to connect the Ethernet connection so I would love to lose that and use wifi only but it looks like I still need the Ethernet hardwire. All help appreciated!

• Re: What is different between a Slingbox 350 and an M2?
          SlingSupportHidy Newbie

Hello,

I see you would like to know the difference between the Slingbox 350 and the Slingbox M2.

Slingbox 350

1. Release date 2008.
          2. Setup process can only be done using a computer. (Ethernet cable from Slingbox to router and another Ethernet cable from router to computer) using Slingplayer for Desktop app.
          3. Ethernet cable must be connected at all times.
          4. Has a reset button.

slingbox-350-connections.jpg

Network Bandwidth Requirements

Minimum upload speed at the Slingbox location and download speed at the SlingPlayer location:

• HD viewing: 2.0 Mbps or higher where the Slingbox is installed
          • SD viewing: 600 Kbps or higher where the Slingbox is installed
          • Mobile viewing: 250 Kbps or higher

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Slingbox M2

1. Release date 2015.
          2. Setup process can be done via Wi-Fi using a phone, tablet, (android tablets not supported) or computer.
          3. Setup process can be done via Ethernet following the same setup process as the Slingbox 350.
          4. Does not have a reset button. (In order to perform a hard reset you would have use a paper clip and insert it in the Reset port)

slingboxm1-connections.jpg

Network Bandwidth Requirements

Minimum upload and download speeds:

• HD viewing:
            • 2.0 Mbps or higher upload speed where the Slingbox is installed
            • 2.0 Mbps or higher download speed where SlingPlayer is being used on a computer
          • SD viewing:
            • 600 Kbps or higher upload speed where the Slingbox is installed
            • 600 Kbps or higher download speed where the SlingPlayer is being used on a computer
          • Mobile viewing: 250 Kbps or higher download speed where the device with SlingPlayer is being used

Hope this helps.

-SlingSupportHidy

lockjaw43

Thanks- so to clarify the M2 doesn't need a constant Ethernet connection? And is the resolution and/or transmission improved? I have the 350 which works ok depending on the speed on the receiving end and I'd move to the M2 if any of these aspects are improved.

lockjaw43

And I currently have to use a kludge for the Ethernet so if it was more reliant on my strong wifi it would work better I'd assume

lockjaw43

Sorry to bug you but I would like to take advantage of the sale you have going on, so could you let me know if the resolution or the functionality is improved from the 350 to the M2, and does the M2 need constant Ethernet to work?

>What is different between a Slingbox 350 and an M2?

>reply from SlingSupportHidy in Steve Berlin - View the full discussion

>Hello,

>I see you would like to know the difference between the Slingbox 350 and

>the Slingbox M2.

>Slingbox 350

>Release date 2008.

>Setup process can only be done using a computer. (Ethernet cable from

>Slingbox to router and another Ethernet cable from router to computer)

>using Slingplayer for Desktop app.

>Ethernet cable must be connected at all times.

>Has a reset button.

>https://community.slingbox.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/

>2-163042-9246/slingbox-350-connections.jpg

>Network Bandwidth Requirements

>Minimum upload speed at the Slingbox location and download speed at the

>SlingPlayer location:

>HD viewing: 2.0 Mbps or higher where the Slingbox is installed

>SD viewing: 600 Kbps or higher where the Slingbox is installed

>Mobile viewing: 250 Kbps or higher

>

>

lockjaw43

Hi-

I am having major issues connecting to my 350 since changing to an Xfinity X-1. I cannot connect ever except on my home network so it becomes an issue to troubleshoot. Is there a known issue with those boxes? And would upgrading to a newer box solve these issues? I am connected thru the Belkin Router that turns the home electric grid into a Ethernet connector, and then the 350 is connected thru the RBG connector.