2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 22, 2010 1:34 AM by bydox RSS

Router absolutely needed ?

bydox

Hi

I'm interested in buying a Slingbox Pro-HD, but I'm wondering about the necessity to get a router.

My aim is only being able to record some Xbox 360 gameplay. My Xbox 360 is very close to my Macbook Pro. So, I would like to know if a router is absolutely needed to let me stream my gameplay to my Macbook (then record the stream), or if I can simply plug an Ethernet cable between the Slingbox and my Macbook Pro ?

Second little question, since I live in France and the Pro-HD is not out yet, can I buy it in the USA without any kind of connection or hardware issues (except buying an AC adapter) ?

Thank you very much !

• Re: Router absolutely needed ?
          tiborg Newbie

You don't need a router for local access, but you would probably be better off getting a video capture device plugged directly into your laptop.

• Re: Router absolutely needed ?
              bydox

Thank you for your answer.

The problem is I own a Macbook Pro, and I only have an Expresscard/34 expansion slot. So I guess I need an external capture device.

I also look for what would cost me the less with a decent quality (720p would be fine), that's why I'm watching to the Pro-HD model, which unfortunaly is unavaible in my country.