2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 1, 2010 3:41 PM by Fofo RSS

Will the Slingbox work for what I want to do?

Kenny536
      I do not know much about this so please bear with me.

I am going to explain my situation to you guys and I hope you can let me know if a Sling product will work for me, or if not, what would be an alternative solution.

I have moved out of my parents' house and on to the city for work (Chicago). My parents have DISH services. I now live 50 miles away from my parent's house. My new apartment building is on the 13th floor of a 50 floor building. If I want cable TV.. I have to use RCN (management rule). If I want satellite TV... good luck, because they don't allow any installs on the outside of the building.

I called a bunch of local Dish retailers to see if they will install the dish inside my room.. my windows face the right direction I believe (living room is south, bedroom southwest) - but they still won't do it. I was considering installing it myself but I have no idea what I'm doing.

So I think the Slingbox or Slingcatcher may possibly be an alternative solution. From my understanding - here is what it does. It allows you to access your dish service anywhere you go where there is a high speed connection. So this leads me to conclude that I can access my parent's Dish service 50 miles away, as long as I have high speed internet. Is this true? This will save me from paying RCN's horrible prices. My plan is to just purchase high speed internet via AT&T .. 6 mbps for 20$ a month with no contract.

If this is possible - I have a bunch of follow up questions:

- Is this practical?  Will it affect the internet connection at home?  Will I have to increase the upload speed back home?
      - There are two TVs at my parent's house. I believe there is only one receiver though, so it is a dual receiver. So what happens when I introduce a 3rd TV, 50 miles away, via the Slingbox/catcher.  Do I need another receiver?
      - How much will all this cost?

Also, can anyone think of any alternatives? I really don't want to give into RCN!

I don't really even need most channels.. the bare necessities are just the local channels, ESPN, and TNT (in other words, basketball and football games).  Internet TV would be awesome if I can find something reliable that will play what I want (live).

Thanks in advance!
        • Re: Will the Slingbox work for what I want to do?
          Apprentice

Hi Kenny536,

Let me help you with your concerns,

So this leads me to conclude that I can access my parent's Dish service 50 miles away, as long as I have high speed internet. Is this true?

Yes it is! After setting up the Slingbox at your parent's house, you will be able to connect locally and remotely from any computer or a supported mobile.

If this is possible - I have a bunch of follow up questions:
          - Is this practical?  Will it affect the internet connection at home?  Will I have to increase the upload speed back home?

Yes it's practical, the network bandwidth at home needs to me more than 600kbps for Standard Definition and more than 3Mbps for High Definition if you get the Slingbox PRO-HD

Slingbox SOLO - Tech Specs

- There are two TVs at my parent's house. I believe there is only one receiver though, so it is a dual receiver. So what happens when I introduce a 3rd TV, 50 miles away, via the Slingbox/catcher.  Do I need another receiver?

If you have a free output on the receiver, you can connect the Slingbox, you will get the same picture and you will be affected when someone at home change channels. If you get another receiver, you will not experience this issue.

Regards

• Re: Will the Slingbox work for what I want to do?
              jimfitzgerald Apprentice

You're going to have to watch tv on your computer or plug a computer into your tv.  If you want HD, your computer must be HD capable.   Your Slingbox, at your parents house, must plug into a satellite box as well as your parents router.  If the router is not close by, you need a SlingLink Turbo to transmit the tv signal from the Slingbox to the router.