6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 17, 2010 1:45 PM by drwater RSS

Compatibility with TV

drwater

I have an old analog TV with a digital converter and receive my TV signals over the air with an antenna.  Can I hook a Slingbox to this type of TV?

Thank you.

• Re: Compatibility with TV
          jimfitzgerald Apprentice

You don't hook the Slingbox to your tv.  You hook it to your tv signal source.  In your case, that's your OTA antenna.  And yes, you can use a Slingbox with an OTA antenna as your signal source.

drwater

My aerial connects to the A/D converter and the A/D converter connects to the TV.  Where would the slingbox be placed in this sequence?

Also,  does the TV  have to be on and tuned to the station the one is trying to watch on a remote computer?

Thank you.

dbsguy Apprentice

There are a couple of ways to hook this senario up since the Digital to Analog OTA converter has several output jacks  :

1. You can hook up the composite outputs (yellow/red/white out of the converter box to your solo; then the mathing passtrhough outputs of the solo to the tv's composite inputs.

or

2. You can hook up the coaxial output of the converter box to the tv for viewing on channel 3/4; then the composite outputs of the converter to the solo's matching composite input.

*It all depends on what inputs your tv has available as to which method you choose. The better connection method would be senario 1.

The TV is not required to be on for the slingbox's use either innetwork or remotely.

IF YOU HAD A SLINGBOX PRO HD UNIT instead of your solo, then No connection would be required to the digital to analog converter as the slingbox pro HD unit hooks straight to the antenna's coaxial line since it has it's own built in tuner. This would allow for independant simultaneous local tv usage and slingbox viewing. Where as with the solo, if you were using ther slingbox at the same time a local tv user was wathing, both would be watching the same thing in terms of the channel.

drwater

As the unit would actually be going on a friend's TV, it sounds like the Pro unit would cause the least disruption to my friend's use of  his TV.  Do you agree?

I assume I would need a splitter to be able to hook the Pro unit to the aerial cable while allowing the other side of the splitter to go to the A/D unit.  Do you agree?

Thank you.

dbsguy Apprentice

Yes, you are correct.

You will need a 2 way cable splitter. thje antenna coaxial line connectes to the input on the splitter. One output gets connected to his D/A converter as it is now, and the other gets connected to the coaxial input on the slingbox pro hd. This would give total simulatneously independant viewing ability.

In other words, the local tv can be on or off. If it's on it can be watching anythign he wants to on the tv; while you can be watching the slingbox and any station you want without interfering with his viewing.

The following is a link to the description of a slingbox pro and you'll notice a list of conetnts included in the box when you purchase a slingbox pro hd unit further down the page.: