16 Replies Latest reply: Feb 21, 2011 3:13 PM by callanish RSS

Can't watch my slingbox with my slingcatcher

amery1200

Hi guys!

I've got a problem with my slingcatcher. I can watch my slingbox with Slingplayer on my PC or Slingplayer Mobile on my iPhone, but I can't watch it with my slingcatcher. Each time I try to connect to my slingbox with my slingcatcher I get error message after around 30 seconds : "Sorry, SlingCatcher could not connect to this slingbox due to a network error. Please try again". (My slingcatcher is not hooked up on the same network.)

If I try to connect with Slingplayer (PC or Mobile) it works, but it takes also a long time to connect to my slingbox (around a minute)...

Any idea to fix that bug?

Amery

• Re: Can't watch my slingbox with my slingcatcher
          herthan

hab auch das gleiche problem

von handy kein problem

von laptop kein problem

mit slingcatcher kein verbindung über internet

metaman

I've been using Sling Catcher for some time now without any problems.  When I recently went to my vacation house and started up the slingcatcher I get the same error.  I even did a factory reset by pressing and holding the reset button for 5 seconds, during this step it connects to the internet, so I know my internet setup is ok.  During the re-setup I have to logon to my sling account and that works fine too, but still get the same error message when Itry to connect.  Could it be that Sling is getting lazy because they discontinued SlingCatcher?  All I want to do is get it working again like it use too, but I'm stuck.  Anyone else have the same issue or have any resolution to this?  Thanks...

jiggy79 Newbie

Amery1200,

You have to configure your router for the slingbox and open up port 5001. Once that's done, your Slingcatcher should work.

csansom

I get the same issue.  I have lived in Japan and now in China.  The slingcatcher seems to work for a while - weeks or months, but then it stops connecting or freezes and I have to restart.  Right now I cannot connect at all.  The PC-based SlingPlayer works fine on the same connection.

Anyone ever figure this one out?

Newber

Yes I am having the same problem...Player on laptop works perfect...same as through sling account on web...but catcher says "can't find"

All soft ware is updated....tested before I left home. worked fine..even drove to remote location and tested with laptop....now I'm in the baja...with a dead catcher?

Is it because they don't support it any more????

Highwinder

I am having a similar problem too, slingplayer on PC and iPhone works perfectly but when using the slingcatcher, sometimes it works for an hour and then resets itself and just freezes on the slingcatcher page and then you unplug it for 20 minutes or so, plug back in and it works again - but maybe for just 3 minutes this time. Its so frustrating! I'm thinking of just selling all of the Sling kit if I cant get this resolved. Does anyone have an ideas?

csansom

SUCCESS - Finally resolved.  I had a unique challenge - living in Asia while SlingBox was back home in California.  I did not understand the technical postings about chaning the router port forwarding - but it appears they were correct.  I actually contacted the Geek Squad and they went to my home in California, I had a friend meet them there to let them in..  It took them about 30 minutes to fix the issue.  I will post exactly what they did when my firend sends me his notes.  Geek Squad charged me $99 for a home visit.  Well worth the money for me since this issue was driving me crazy.

*** Edited to observe Slingbox Answers Forum House Rules by Moderator. ***

Highwinder

Would be interested in your notes, please let us know when you have them!

terjef

Hi. Do you have the notes how to fix this? Would really like to know.

Thanx.

metaman

I think it is covered here, but I'll say it another way.   Basically you need to open port 5001 to allow the proper communication to the Slingbox from the Slingcatcher.  Remember the port is on the Router connected to your slingbox not your slingcatcher.  I have two sling boxes so I needed to open 5001 and 5002 one for each slingbox.  Ok now how do you open the ports?  Well for different routers there are different ways to do it.  What I did was to go through the slingbox network setup again.  I forget exactly where it was in the setup but look carefully and either there was an advanced option or a help button, sorry for not being specific.  Anyway there is an area that directs you into the sling website that gave more specific help on how to open ports on your router, depending upon what type or router you had.  The help screen was very simple with graphic and text to explain each step.   It's there trust me.  I used the directions for my Linksys and it worked fine.   (Once again there are directions on the sling website as to how to setup your router that can be found by going through the network setup on your slingbox,  You still need to go into your router to make the change) ONE MORE NOTE.  My first slingbox IP address ended in .237 and the second one ended in .238.  So if your slingbox is not defined to a static IP address you need to make that change too.  This is necessary since you will be telling your router to open port 5001 for a specific IP address, the IP address of your slingbox. ONE MORE NOTE 2.  To change your IP address on your slingbox to a static IP I think you can use network setup again.  The most common static IP address to set it to would be 192.168.1.237 for my Linksys WRT54GS but it could be different for your router but will probably start with 192.168 - good luck!  MORE 3 Found this link now you got it... http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/WRT54G/SlingBox.htm

manorbarndavid

I have also had problems viewing my TV from Slingcatcher in my holiday home, though no problem on PC.  On returning home, I tried to configure the Router ( a Netgear 834PN) with network assistant. When I enter the administrator login for the Netgear, Network Assistant vanishes, and I am just left with the Netgear management screen.  Is there anything else apart from port forwarding that needs to be addressed?

Thanks

• Re: Help
                                ceebee123

Got  a new modem in my slingcatcher home, it is the same model as my old modem. The internet is working but the catcher reports "No Network".  I can not use the slingplayer on my computer or iphone either even though both are connected to my network.

Then when I connect to my neighbors(My sister) wi-fi which is not locked, I can use my computer and phone but not my TV.

My internet is locked....could this be causing a problem for the TV. I am stumped and would appreciate any ideas.

ACC382988

I had this same problem and the slingmedia solutions suggested that I go into setup and reconfigure my router connection.  I had upgraded my router last year so I figured that was probably the problem.  sure enough, everything is working fine now.  I was able to discontinue cable at my vacation home.  great product.

mschatz2

Hello all,

I am unable to use my new SlingCatcher.  The problem appears to be that described here: http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-5000198.html in that my router at home was not set up correctly.  The problem is that when I go in to configure the router, my router's brand (Cisco) is not one of the choices in the dropdown menu.  When I go to try to manually configure the router, there are no instructions on how to do so.  The port on the router is already listed as 5001.  I would greatly appreciate any help that anyone can give me.

Thanks,
                                    Mike

manorbarndavid

Hallo All

Has anyone seen detailed instructions of settings required for routers at Slingcatcher end and Slingbox end, including any configuration of firewalls?  It would also be very helpful to know in detail exactly how Slingcatcher accesses Slingbox.  When the two are 2000 miles apart, it is not easy to go between one and the other, so it is important to sort out both in as few trips as possible.  Is there any way to test the home network end to check that it is correctly configured for Slingcatcher to access it?

Thanks

callanish Apprentice

I can't go into great detail about the correct setup required for your specific situation, but I can tell you that on your slingbox side, a TCP stream is crucial in making the slingcatcher communicate with the slingbox ( While watching a stream from the slingplayer software on the pc, press alt.shift.i on the keyboard ) Anything other than a TCP stream ( SNATT or RELAY ) means you'll have a network connection problem between your slingbox and slingcatcher. So, before leaving your slingbox location while setting it up, check the type of stream coming out of the slingbox. If its TCP, you should be good to go on the slingcatcher side. If it doesn't say TCP, then you are going to have problems connecting to your slingbox using your slingcatcher. Port forwarding the router correctly is crucial for the slingcatcher to work with the slingbox. F.Y.I, my hardware firewall is turned off on my slingbox side to avoid any complications. I've been running my slingbox with the slingcatcher since June 2009; originally incorrectly setup my slingbox with automatic UPNP port forwarding, then had all sorts of network connection problems with the slingcatcher. Finally managed to setup my slingbox / router correctly using manual port forwarding with a TCP stream. Haven't had any problems connecting to my slingcatcher since.