7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 10, 2011 2:41 PM by milonator RSS

problem communicating with slingbox, try connecting again

mrk

I have a Slingbox Pro and a Slingcatcher connected on my network.

I can watch the slingbox from the PC slingplayer and from a PC via the web site.

The slingcatcher knows about the slingbox.  If I am watching the slinbox from the PC the slingcatcher reports the slingbox is busy.

The network connection light is OK.

I have configured port forwarding on my router for port 5001 and the slingbox IP address.

When I try to watch TV from the slingcatcher it says it is connected but then it dsiplays the error messgae:

There was a problem communication with the slingbox, try connecting again.

Does anybody know how to fix this?

Martyn

• Re: problem communicating with slingbox, try connecting again
          mrk

Well, I finally got it to work.

The Slingbox is connected to an ethernet switch which is connected to a WET610N Network bridge to wirelessly connect to my network,

The Slingcatcher is connected to another WET610N bridge which also has wireless connection to ny network.

So, I took the Slingcatcher to the room with the slingbox and connected it to the same ethernet switch.  Now it foud the slingbox OK and started to work.  So, I powered off and took it back to the other room, plugged in to the WET610 bridge in that room and now everything works OK.

I don't know why this worked, but it did.  Just posting this in case it helps anyone else with this problem

Martyn

mrk

Spoke too soon!!!!

It is now failing again.

One think I noticed is that on the 2 occasions where it worked Slingcatcher  was connecting to MRKSlingbox(Remote)  where MRKSlingbox is the name of my Slingbox.

When it fails it shows that it is connecting to MRKSlingbox(Free)

So, it looks like what I need is to force it to go to MRKSlingbox(Remote).  But, I don't know how I can do that.  I tried a factory reste but that did not work.

Martyn

scottresnik

I'm having the same problem.  I can view my slingboxes from slingplayer mobile, and sling player desktop, but cannot connect using my slingcatcher which is connected to the WET610N.  I can use SlingPlayer mobile view my slingboxes using the same wireless network as the WET610N is using.  Anyone have any idea why the SlingCatcher, and the WET610N don't get along?

mrk

The only way I can get it to work is to take the SlinBox (not the catcher) from behind the WET610.   I connected the slingbox into the network via the mains cables with a pair of homeplug and everything now works OK. 

I suspect that the problem is that for some reason port forwarding is not being passed throuth the WET610, so you cannot put anything behind it that you want to forward a port to.

Hope this helps anyone with the same problem

Martyn

ckelly100

I have a similar problem.   If I connect my SlingBox to my network via a WET610N bridge, I can sucessfully watch shows from my PC and iPhone, but if I try to watch from my SlingCatcher, which is hardwired to to the network, it immedately freezes after connecting to the SlingBox.  If I hardwire both, the SlingCatcher works, but connecting either the SlingBox or the SlingCatcher using the bridget fails.  Has anyone had success using a LinkSys WET610N bridge?  Is there any special configurations needed?

Chadusn

I'm on the other side of the world from my slingbox and I couldn't figure out why I kept getting "problem communicating with slingbox, try connecting again" when I tried to log in with my Slingcatcher.  I was able to watch my slingbox via my laptop but when I connected my slingcatcher it would give me this error.  After reading some forums and not getting an answer I decided to troubleshoot more.  I found that I need to disconnect from my slingbox on my laptop AND log out of the account.  After I did that I attempted to connect via my slingcatcher and it worked.  Hope this helps.