8 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2010 5:45 PM by lundy602 RSS

Network Light on Router not solid

dpapag

I reset my slingbox, and it's not connecting properly to my network. Router is a D-Link DIR-615.  Never had any problems until all of a sudden, so I tried to assign an IP to the slingbox to see if that would help.  When running slingplayer software, it cannot find it.  Enable DCHP server is checked.  I even tried to reserved 192.168.0.150 for the slingbox, and have entered the mac address found on the slingbox iteself to that IP.  It's listed as a DCHP client set to never expire, yet the light on the router for that port it's connected to flashes.  Also when I try and reset my slingbox solo, the lights on the slingox are suppose to flash after you hold it in for 5 seconds.  Mine don't.  Any ideas. Is the slingbox iteself damaged?

• Re: Network Light on Router not solid
          dpapag

Appears as if the issue is due to a bad power supply.  If this issue is happening to you, don't be a novice and purchase a new power supply right off the bat only to find out that it didn't fix the issue, that your Slingbox is fried, and that you have to pay restock and shipping fees to recoup some of your money for the power supply.  Instead, check a friends power supply in your unit and verify that that is the issue.  That is my plan at this point.  Make sure the volt and amp requirements are the same. If when you press the reset button and the red lights remain constant instead of flickering, it could be an indication of a bad ps.

*** Edited to observe Slingbox Answers Forum House Rules by Moderator. ***

Apprentice

Hi Dpapag,

You can check the following link,  it will show you some troubleshooting steps that can help you out

Troubleshooting Slingbox SOLO streaming and network issues

Let us know how it works.

lundy602

I have the same router - and the exact same problem.  Worked fine for 18 months.  All of a sudden stopped working and cannot pull an IP address.  Called Tech Support, paid the $100 for the call and a replacement box - which now does the same thing. 

Perhaps it's the power supply as suggested?  Tech support didn't send me a new power supply.....

alanjudy

OK... I've got the same router and same problem.   Sling is dead, with slow blinking network light.   This sucks.   I've tried all the steps document by Sling Support (power off/on, soft and hard reset, new good cat5)

alanjudy

Problem is/was with the power supply...  Once replaced, everything works again.   This is the second power supply replaced in the past year (one for a sling catcher the other for a slingbox solo).    Sounds like bad parts. 

lundy602

Did you buy the power supply locally, or through Slingbox?

alanjudy

So to confirm my problem, I simply switched power supplies with my SlingCatcher (it has the same power supply).  Once I determined the problem was the power supply I tried to see if there was a 3rd party alternative available at some local stores.  Because of the Amps pulled by the Slingbox power supply, I wasn't able to find something. 

I did end up buying the power supply from Sling off their replacement parts online site.   The power supply arrived and everything is working fine.

I will add that there was a common environmental issue with both failures, the areas were "hot", one near a heating vent, the other in a contained space.   I've changed both locations of my power supplies of the slingbox and slingcatcher to provide a cooler environment with more airflow just in case this led to the failure.   I do think that there is a parts issue as this failure rate seems high to me.  There are others on this site that have similar problems that appear to be power supply related.