37 Replies Latest reply: Feb 7, 2014 6:03 AM by Ojib RSS

HDCP-compatible TV input?

fahrside

I've been running my Slingbox A/V on my current TV for well over a year without any problems.  I also watch thru my iPhone without any problems.  This morning while attempting to watch thru the phone, I got the following message:

"The set-top's HDMI port requires an HDCP-compatible TV input.  Please switch to a compatible TV input or do not use the set-top's HDMI port.  If your TV's input supports HDCP, the HDMI cable may be at fault.

Could my HDMI cable have actually gone bad?  When I turn the TV on however, it plays perfectly.  If I power off the TV, I get the message below.sling.jpg

• Re: HDCP-compatible TV input?
          markdevoll Newbie

Sounds like the carrier did an update.

Mark Devoll

jasonsacco

i got the same message this week.  Same situation.  Did you find a resolution? I'm with Time Warner in San Diego

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

Lots of people are having the same problem.  You may need to ditch the HDMI cable.

fahrside

Time Warner here as well. I'm reluctant to even ask TW. They usually aren't much help. Rebooting cable box had no effect. Bought a new hdmi cable but doubt that's going to be the answer. I don't want to believe I need to sacrifice my hdmi cable to have my sbox work.

Sent from my iPhone

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

Use component cables for your tv.  It's still HD and you won't be able to tell any difference.

burgstopher

Yes, I do have HDMI cord between my TWC box and the TV, but why does it matter when the Slingbox is directly communicating with the Explorer 8240 HDC cable box and my HSD router. The TV is communicating indirectly with the Cable Box, so why do I get this HDCP error only if the TV is off?

Chris

alexfan

I completely agree with you.  Thought the same thing.  I have and 8300HDC box with a brand new 42" Aquos.  Now with the HDMI cable, I can't watch Slingbox unless my tv is on.  Wow, technology is wonderful...huh?   NOPE!!!  Who expected using the "best" cable for your connection would prevent another device from working?

burgstopher

Hey There, It was the HDMI cable that was making the problems. And If your TV goes off, your component cables are wired wrong. The cable from the wall should go directly into the slingbox. Then the sling box communicates directly with the cable box, then with HD component cables, the cable box goes to the TV. The sling box wires to your router (while communicating with your cable box) shoots the image through the application to your phone. So your control depends only on the remote control switch of your cable box, which can be controled from your phone, as everything can. Hope that helps.

Chris

alexfan

All I have is connected between the cable box and tv is an HDMI cable.  My slingbox is connected to my cable box via S-video cable.  When I disconnect the HDMI from my tv, I can watch my Slingbox.  When I turn my tv on (and HDMI cable is connected), I can watch my Slingbox.  It just doesn't work when my tv is off and the HDMI cable is connected.  I can connect my cable box to the tv via component cables to circumvent the HDMI error but that just seems like it should be unnecessary.....unless I'm completely missing something.

P.S I can't connect the cable from the wall to the Slingbox because there is no terminal on it to receive it.  It's a Solo.

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

The problem is either your tv or cable box or both are not HDCP compliant.  You need to replace the HDMI cable from the cable box to your tv with component cables and R/L audio cables.  Component is still HD.

alexfan

My tv is brand, brand new and HDCP compliant.  Everything works fine with the HDMI cable....so long as the tv is on.  If not, then I get the error message.

Anyway, I replaced the HDMI cable with the component cables and it's working fine.  It's just funny to me that using the "best" technology makes things worse.

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

Then it's your cable box or DVD or some other component that's not compliant.   I use HDMI and everything works fine.

alexfan

Has to be the box because the DVD player is connected via component cables.  So just FYI out there...if you have a Bright House Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HDC cable box connected to your tv via HDMI cables and are experiencing the HDCP error message at the top of this thread, you are not alone.

I hate those boxes.  They are slow and cumbersome to use.  Now added to the list....this error message.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's input!!

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

Maybe your cable/satellite company has another brand box available.

alexfan

I wish.  That's the only brand.  I asked them if there are any plans for upgrades or replacements with a different brand but they said no.  So long as there isn't a video-quality difference between HDMI and component, I'll just use the components.

scompton

I have the same problem.  But here is a little more information.  I have two Slingboxes connected to two separate DVRs.  Both are connected to the DVR via S video cable.  Both TV's are connected via HDMI.  One Slingbox always works wether TV is on or off.  The other only works when the TV is on.  I have switched the DVRs, the Slingboxes, and cables but still the same result with the one TV.

So i am thinking it has something to do with the way the TV interfaces with the Cable box and not every TV interfaces with the box the same way.  Anyway I don't think it has anything to do with the Slingbox.

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

You need to replace your S-video cables with component cables.  S-video is only SD and not very good.  Component is HD capable.  You should see an improvement of your video quality.

ihor

ok - tHE MESSAGE "The set-tv's hdmi port requires an hdcp compatible tv port" - is protection from the Cable Company - the message/screen comes from the Cable Box. You're seeing this because the content from your cable box is what is called HDCP protected.  It feels you are not using cables that are HDCP complient. But before you run out and buy new cables - this was the solution that worked for me.

I had a Time Warner Cable Box - Scientific Atlanta 4240HDC - had HMI cables from cable box connected to the TX (Vizio xvt553SV) - had Svideo connected to the Slingbox pro - did get the cable message alert to the Slingbox viewer - but the TV worked AOK - yes - when the TV was on  - the slngbox worked.

When I disconnected the HDMI cables from the TV and Cable box and connected COM cables (red,blue,green) - the Alert now also showed up on the TV set.

Solution:

Power off the Cable box - I connected the HDMI cables back up from cable box to TV - connected Svidio from Cable box to Slingbox(with the audio connections also) - powered up the Cable box and the TV and Slingbox worked aok.  I should not I did reset the slingbox and went through the config again - but not sure this would be needed.

Thus the Cable box was just confused - once the HDMUI cable was installed - when I plugged in the conp cables to the TV the cable box thought thr comp cables were the HDMI cables and was confuded - power off and on solved all.

Again -it also could be bad cables - but try the power off and on first.

alangoldberg

My Samsung HD TV is on the wall with the wires through the wall.  Replacing the HDMI cable will be a real pain.  Can I purchase a converter box where I plug the HDMI cable from the TV on one end and the component video and audio cables at the other end?

JCL969

does anyone know how to get a Slingbox to control the power switch to a Sony TV?  I am having the same issue, but if I could remotely turn on my tv while using the SlingBox, then turn it off later, I would be ok.  I just don't know the code to control a tv power through slingbox.

DMKHarvey

I'm suddenly having the same issue, and it started only when I had to replace my cable box/dvr last week.  and it was replaced with exactly the same box, the Scientific Atlantic Explorer 8300HD.  And i can't turn the TV on w/ the remote control.

DMKHarvey

Update.  I had my husband pick up a new HDMI cable.  Same result:  But get this:  if i UNPLUG the HDMI cable from the TV, then the Slingbox works when the TV is turned off.  (which is the whole issue we're discussing here, right?)

Are there different HDMI cables; those that are HDCP compatible and those that are not?  Or is it that perhaps the replacement cable box/DVR (although it appears to be identical to the one we switched out last week) is not HDCP compatible?

The box for the cable we just bought doesn't say a word about HDCP anywhere in the fine print on the box.  it just says "use this high definition multimedia interace cable to connect a high definition component to your HDTV."

JCL969

i don't think it is an issue with the cable.  i think the cable box somehow know's when the tv is powered on or not and will not operate unless the tv is on.  so the solution is to either not use the hdmi cable, or somehow be able to turn the television on remotely.  unfortunatelly, i don't see any way to power on my television through the slingbox.  it is only programmed for dvd's, dvr's, set-top boxes, vhs's, etc...  i was curious if anyone has figured out how to turn off a tv remotely with slingbox.  i have a sony tv.

DMKHarvey

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Swapped the cable box again, and told them to make sure they gave me an HDCP-compliant; showed them the picture of the error msg.  She gave me what she says is the newest and best.  Slingbox now works with the TV turned off.

thank you all so much for your help.  I never would have figured out what was wrong if i hadn't stumbled on this thread.

alangoldberg

I have had the same problem described here.  I have a slinbox HD that was hooked up to a Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD DVR box.  I tried every way possible to get it to work and found that it wasn't HDCP compliant.  I tried a HDMI splitter box, HDMI to AV cables (which don't work and were a waste of money in any case!) - I talked to a variety of sources who know about these things and had no luck.

Recently I upgraded my DVR through Time Warner to a whole house DVR.  I can now watch my DVR in another room.  To do this they replaced the Scientific Atlanta 8300 with a Samsung box.  When I pluged in the Slingbox to the Samsung - it worked first time out.  I now can get the sling on my computer, ipad and iphone with no distortion and no problems.  The sling and cable box come on, but not the TV.  Perfect.

The problem is the cable box and it appears that the Samsung box is compliant, so if your provider has something other than a Scientific Atlanta box available, it's worth a shot.

Hope this helps.

DMKHarvey

Thanks so much for the info.  I think we'll definitely take the box in for (another exchange) - i'll let you all know what happens!

JCL969

i am also on time warner.  i had the samsung box, and just upgraded to the cisco box.  i had other issues with the samsung box, and additionally the cisco box has the picture-in-picture function which was disabled on the samsung. 

DMKHarvey

In our case, the **** of it is, we HAD a Scientific Atlant box for a long time.  And i don't remember the model number now, but the replacement box that we had to get last week was identical.  The old one worked; the replacement didn't.  See my other update post that we're good to go now, they switched us out again to a Cisco.

But our older, original Scientific A box worked; the newer one didn't.

sheeeeeeeeeeeesh, what a pita this has been.

NOW, brilliant people:  The new box has the Ethernet built in, so supposedly we can watch Netflix without having to switch to the BlueRay (which i just bought TWO WEEKS AGO specifically to watch NF on the TV, it figures.)

Can't for the life of me figure out how to make it come up, though.................. there sure ain't nuttin' on my remote that gives me a clue.  and what they have as an excuse for a manual for the Cisco is useless.  all it gives you is the various hookup options illustrations, pretty much.

sigh, resigned to having to call BHouse Tech on that one.

sojac Newbie

It is a very known problem. Most of the TV sets in the stand-by mode do not support HDCP. That's why your set-top box detects that there is a non-HDCP-compliant device connected to its HDMI output.

Most of the set-top boxes and satellite decoders block all their outputs (YPbPr, SPDIF, SCART,...) when detect such a non-HDCP-compliant device connected.

The simplest solution is using active iHDMI cable instead of the passive HDMI cable. Here is link to such cable: http://ihdmi.eu/cgibin/shop?info=8ihdmi18

smsole67

slingbox is offering a trade in rebate for older sling box units like the A/V box in the original post ,these older units are not being supported any longer by sling media and when the older boxes take the new updates which I think there is away around this according to some forums you may be able to still use it for viewing on a computer but if you want to view on an ipad or smart phone you need a newer slingbox(the reason for the trade in rebate $50)which will take the updates

Ojib

Go Here and purchase this from AMAZON

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UYOEMI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I Have TW Cable and I use their SA Explorer 8300 HDC.After hooking this Splitter  up it works. I have been using it now for 2 weeks and no problems at all. I have HDMI hookups with out any of the HDCP problems.This is a 2 port out splitter,1 HDMI line goes to the in port from the Cablebox,and on the out ports (2 ports)1 line goes to TV and the other line goes to the sling box.And don't forget to switch over to HDMI connection in your SlingBox settingsThis is pertaining to the SlingBox 500 For $18.00 its a great deal.....