16 Replies Latest reply: Feb 20, 2017 11:56 PM by alanrichey42 RSS

Thank you for destroying desktop app for 350

Me262 Newbie

So just a few days ago, the 350 stopped working properly on the slingplayer desktop.

The only thing it allows now is to configure the box, and setup the remote control. Can't get the actual player to show the proper screen. Now all it shows is the very tiny one.

• Re: Thank you for destroying desktop app for 350
          fozzir

I am having the same issue. The new Desktop app has rendered my SB 350 worthless. Each time I try to connect it just says "reconfigure". I've reconfigured 100 times and I get the same thing. See photo of "My Slingbox" below.  20161204_171311.jpg?dl=0350.png

bentorrence

Same problem here.

Is the 350 no longer supported within the desktop app?
            Is the problem being addressed or fixed?

Is Sling even aware of this issue?

A response or, better yet, a proactive email about the situation would be greatly appreciated.

csrburk

The time and effort Slingbox puts into making old models obsolete is really frustrating. I greatly prefer the desktop app because otherwise my browser is constantly freezing while surfing the internet and streaming the browser version of slingplayer. No such problems when doing the same with the desktop app yet my 350 will no longer connect via the desktop app at all over the last few days. It only offers the "reconfigure" option. I thought it was something I had done wrong until I saw all these similar posts. I am not sure why they must put such a strong emphasis on the browser based streaming extension. Similarly, if I pay for a slingbox please stop making it increasingly difficult to use with subsequent software "upgrades".

Me262 Newbie

Nothing still? really? Absolutely no support for your product. I bet you already know what next product I will be buying the next time I will be feeling the need to upgrade. tip: NOT yours.

You broke something that worked fine, and no cares given.

ACC6131718

Hello Slingbox,

Are you not going to fix this issue?  It has been over 2 weeks since the slingplayer desktop versions have stopped working... Are you working on it?  Are you doing anything?  Can you put the source on github so I can fix it.... PLEASE

! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !@@@@@@@

Me262 Newbie

Actually it started 4 weeks ago. So pretty much a month.

alanrichey42 Master

But it's not a bug/problem.   This was a deliberate act by Sling Media to "streamline your viewing experience"    (I hope they feel suitably embarrassed writing c**p like that).

I guess their excuse will be that the Desktop Player was originally introduced along the M1 and was designed to support just that box.(and now the M2) and it was a happy accident that it happened to work with the older models.   So all they have done is change the software to reflect the original intention.

Me262 Newbie

Well if they have their hopes up I'll be getting a M1 or M2 they are 180º from what it will happen. Guaranteed they will have no business from me, and now with social media, I will let all my friends and acquaintances know to not touch slingbox.

News flash for you sling. You don't have a moat. You are not the only one in this business. When I feel I had enough about the lack of desktop player, I will take my business to their largest competitor. I read some really good feedback about them.

The forcing of ads down our throats for equipment we paid for, then this intentional breaking of the slingplayer just broke the camels back in my relationship with sling. I've already started spreading the news to my 1000 FB "friends" and real friends, and posting in social media about this.

kpslc

I Have the same issue, the box goes through the re configure, when you go to devices it shows as un configured. Carried out the re set and waited for the download but does not work.

Replaced the PSU and checked no IP address clashes on the network.

uC2u9n4W31

I have the same issue with the 500, and it has been in the forums for at least six weeks.  All Slingbox does is make the links to the discussion thread generate a "system error" so we cannot view them anymore to see if there is an update.

Their firmware download, that we did not initiate or approve, broke a device that we had purchased.  I cannot believe how badly the company is behaving, and the impact on their corporate image.

ACC6359835

I am having the same issue - so frustrating, at least through this forum I know I am not alone - shame on you, Slingbox, for not even responding to these posts about this problem!  Has anyone tried calling them??

ACC6359835

OK, I just called - there will be no remedy - they have removed Slingplayer Desktop from being able to view tv, you can only use it to reconfigure, but we can still use a browser to watch, so I guess it's basically the same thing....

uC2u9n4W31

Still nothing from Slingbox?

I've started posting product reviews on ecommerce sites, explaining why nobody should ever buy a Slingbox product, with links to forum posts.

You should do the same.

apanek

Has Sling now removed the feature to reconfigure a Slingbox 350? 

I had to upgrade my cablebox from Comcast and of course the controls are different.  Now I have no options to reconfigure my Slingbox 350.    When I use the watch.slingbox.com I have no options to re-configure it -- I can watch away, but I can't change channels since I can't reconfigure for new box.   I get a message when I select "Settings" menu as follows:  "Please download and install the free Slingplayer for Desktop application to setup or reconfigure your Slingbox.  

However, when I install SlingPlayer for desktop it tells me that Setup Assistance in not supported for Slingbox 350 and I should use the watch.slingbox.com.    wtf

Is anyone still able to reconfigure their 350 and how did you do it?