9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 4, 2012 11:49 AM by deputylynch RSS

How to change remote buttons?

neuf

I recently upgraded my set-top box to a Motorola DCX3400 PVR.  After searching on this site and trying many different remotes, I haven't found one that is "completely" suitable with the button configuration.  Some have suggested the DCT 6416 III as a replacement, however it is missing some "key" buttons (the "swap" butting being one of them, allowing me to swap being the dual tuners).

I finally ended up with the remote for Motorola QIP2708 (DVR), which has a "Change" button, which seems to have the same affect as the "swap" button.  However, on my physical remote there are "Day + / -" and "Page Up / Down" button which help in searching through the guide.  Neither of these function on this remote.

Is it possible to reprogram some of the buttons on this remote to act as these buttons?  The remote has "A" "B" "C" and "D" keys which seem to have no purpose and could be used for these functions.

Any help would be appreciated!

(On a side note, I'm surprised Sling Media doesn't have the codes set up for the DCX3400 since it's been out for awhile now.  When you do a search for "supported devices" on their support site, the page has a question "What if I can't find my device listed?, and the answer is something to the effect of "Then you probably spelled it wrong!  Check your spelling and try again" - that's it!  It gives the impression that they have the codes for all devices!)

• Re: How to change remote buttons?
          alanrichey42 Master
          I recently upgraded my set-top box to a Motorola DCX3400 PVR.  After searching on this site and trying many different remotes, I haven't found one that is "completely" suitable with the button configuration.  Some have suggested the DCT 6416 III as a replacement, however it is missing some "key" buttons (the "swap" butting being one of them, allowing me to swap being the dual tuners).

This is normally good advice, as most Motorola boxes use the same codes, but I accept it has it's limits.  I have built dedicated DCX3400 remotes, but find I have 2, one for Comcast, one for Time Warner.    Which is yours ?

Is it possible to reprogram some of the buttons on this remote to act as these buttons?  The remote has "A" "B" "C" and "D" keys which seem to have no purpose and could be used for these functions.

Only be resorting to a Custom Remote.

(On a side note, I'm surprised Sling Media doesn't have the codes set up for the DCX3400 since it's been out for awhile now.  When you do a search for "supported devices" on their support site, the page has a question "What if I can't find my device listed?, and the answer is something to the effect of "Then you probably spelled it wrong!  Check your spelling and try again" - that's it!  It gives the impression that they have the codes for all devices!)

They probably assume I will fill the gap for them

neuf

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm using Shaw Cable (in Canada), so to answer your question, neither Comcast or Time Warner.

The remote that I'm now using is basically sufficient and most buttons work the way they should.  I guess it's only for convenience sake.  For example, if I want to record a program that's on next week, but not sure of the time, I have to keep hitting the "right" button in the guide for half-hour segments until I get to the correct day.  It would be nice to just jump forward a day at a time.  Also, the page (up / down) buttons would make scanning the guide easier.

Here's a link to the remote I have:

http://www.shaw.ca/NR/rdonlyres/3ACF77AE-0B0D-4448-878B-5C51BD05B6C7/0/Atlas11055FSShawManualFinalCopy6OCT05.pdf

Is a custom remote difficult?  The reason I'm asking is that I'm not actually at the "local" site where my Slingbox is, so my brother would have to do it for me.

alanrichey42 Master

Installing Custom Remotes is easy and can be done remotely.   It's building them that can be time consuming.

The alterntive is to try http://remotes.slingbox.com and learn the codes from your original remote.

If that doesn't work for you and you want to continue trying for a Custom Remote then I have checked the Comcast and Time Warner skins and neither of them have a DayUp/DayDn set of buttons.  I do recall there is one skin that has them but I can't remember it   My advice would be to design your own skin and add the buttons you need.   But before that we need a working set of codes, so we have to do that first.

Try the attached Custom Remote.  It gives you the Sling 'Basic' Remote, but I have mapped the DayDn/Up to the PageDn/Up as I don't apparently have any code for that function.   Does your real remote have those ?

Even if this does work there will be things missing, but we can work on those.

But be aware I am on a touring holiday for the next 2 weeks with intermittent internet access so don't be worried if it goes quiet occasionally

neuf

Thanks again!

The Custom Remote that you attached works fine, and the Day up/dn buttons are great!

The only real thing missing (that I can think of now) is the "switch" button that enables me to switch between tuners without disrupting recording.

Enjoy your holiday and no need to rush with an answer!

alanrichey42 Master

Good, thought we might need another couple of goes on that :-)

Now comes the problem, I build these remotes by installing the device on my Harmony Universal Remote and use that to mimic the original remote.  Unfortunately,  whoever put it in the Logitech database must have had a single tuner.

First test is to remove the old BIN files from your \SBAV\ folder, put these 2 new ones in and test all the buttons.  I have mapped the followig functions to the 15 Custom Buttons (access from the menu button on the remote).

Custom10    list
                          Custom11    mydvr
                          Custom12    favourite
                          Custom13    advance
                          Custom14    replay
                          Custom15    inputnext
                          Custom16    live
                          Custom17    VOD
                          Custom18    aspect
                          Custom19    ondemand

Custom20    pip on/off
                          Custom21    pip swap
                          Custom27    pip move
                          Custom28    pipchannelup
                          Custom29    pipchanneldown

And the colour buttons with

Red             a
                          Green          b
                          Yellow         c
                          Blue            d

Do any of those operate the 'switch' ?

If not, we can find it by trial & error, or a better solution would be for you to 'learn' that button at remotes.slingbox.com and send me the LRZ file.

Cheers

Al