The Slingbox Classic seems to still has the settings of your friend. Try to reset the Classic: http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-1000038.html
Then it will loose all the settings and then launch the player. After going trough the setup (with setting up complete new passwords) you should be able to enjoy your box.
I have already tried that.. But thanks anyway. I also tried to use his password, but that wont work either.
The funny thing is that I can see it through www.slingbox.com, but not at the local network? The desktop player wont connect, but the web interface works but cannot log in? I'm a bit confused.
Please help me :)
indeed sounds strange. Just could imagine that somehow the profile is still stored in the player and the box was reset after installing the player. Furthermore according to my knowledge the watch.slingbox.com site is not fully supported by the Slingbox Classic and could be the reason for the issue you spot on the site. Make as well sure to create a own Sling account and not using the one of your friend, if you not have done it already ;-). The bluescreen ( assuming you mean the XP Bluescreen ) is strange as well have never seen it in XP, please make sure you have installed the latest Service Pack of Windows, the most current .Net framework and Adobe Flash as well.
After checking this I would recommend (step - by - step ):
1. Uninstall the Sling Player from your PC completely ( Start button --> Control Panel --> Add or remove programms --- Select the Sling Player and press uninstall.
2. Download the latest version from: http://downloads.slingmedia.com/get/sp-win-emea.html
3. Reset the Box, like mentioned in my previous post, but hold the reset button longer for around 20 seconds.
4. Make sure the box is connected correctly, then install the player you have downloaded.
5. Go trough the setup and create your own account and your own user name and admin account. Set up your video sources and so on.
6. Enjoy your box.
Hope it helps!
So sorry I havent responded. I have been busy moving. I can now connect to my slingbox and it works perfectly but only local. I now use a Linksys WRT54G and have followed the guide. But still no luck
The slingbox IP is 192.168.1.101 (status - dhcp client tables on my router). But when i ran the setup wizard it says it was 192.168.1.254. I have therefor tried both portforwarding 192.168.1.254 & 192.168.1.101 but still no luck. I use avast and no firewall SW on my desktop.
The following links will allow you to get the step-by-step instructions in order to set up your Slingbox for Internet Viewing.