13 Replies Latest reply: Apr 5, 2011 11:13 AM by jr9881 Branched to a new discussion. RSS

iphone app to tv out connection

RexH

I would like to connect my iphone running the sling player app to my tv in my van while tailgating.  It is a big 20" screen and when connected only youtube and native apple apps seem to work.  I have heard you can jailbreak your phone and accomplish this but I don't want to jailbreak.  I have a HDPRO at home and the cables that work great on everything except the slingbox app for video.  Is there going to be an update that will allow sending the video to the video out cables?  Thanks. RCH

• Re: iphone app to tv out connection
          loiacki1

Yes, please add TV out for the Slingplayer for iPhone app.  Netflix has done so just this week.  Please release an update for this also!

dbsguy Apprentice

This has been brought up several time at this point for a long time at this point without any comment from slingmedia one way or another or even if they are working on it at all.

Personally; if this feature interests you; then you'll want to jailbreak (period, end of story). Otherwise holding your breathe will only cause you to turn blue and pass out

fastcat

Yes would someone from Slingmedia please comment on your intensions to release an app update for video out?

Thanks!

dbsguy Apprentice

4 words for the person requesting a person from Sling Media commenting on the video out feature:

Good luck with that!

lucstjean

I think this is related to the fact that slingbox sells the slingcatcher to do what you trying to achieve with the iphone. It would affect the sales of their products.....

My 2 cents

dbsguy Apprentice
                            lucstjean,
                            Unfortunately, your 2 cents doesn't go too far in terms of spendability much less actuality.
                            The sling cather has been discontinued for some time now. So your assumption about conflicting product marketability simply doesn't jive.
                            Even if the sling cather was still in production/distribution, the iPhone output would NOT rival nor hinder it's functionality nor marketability to the ,masses or even a select few for that matter.
                            The sling cather had output capable of 1080i HD as well as the ability to stream media from connected computers or weblinks via it's projector functionality. None of which the iPhone could do natively.
                            In any event, Sling Media has never fielded questions as to what they are working on; much less a target date for completion of any project to any degree of certainty.
                            The bottom line is, if you want an iPhone or iPad to output the sling apps content, then you MUST jailbreak in order to do so (at this point in time and perhaps indefinately).
                            jmonica

Apparently your good luck wishes did the trick!  I'n connected from my iPhone to my TV right now!

jmonica

Thsi now works on my ipPhone 4. NOt sure if it works with older iPhones but todays update added the functionality that you were requesting.  Good Luck!

cbras

Jmonica..... how did you get your cables to put out video?  I can only get audio from my component cables.

RexH

Works for me now also.  I have the Apple cables and with the latest updated App from for the Slingmedia player for the iphone4 it works great.  I did have to un-install it after I installed the updated App as the remote control was grayed out and you could not change channels.  I un-installed the app from the iphone and then re-installed it and all works fine.  I don't remember for sure, but I do also think that you have to have the App setup for hi-Quality.  If set for Standard Quality, I don't beleive it will send the video signal to the cables just audio.  But, Hi-Quality works great, even with 3G.

RCH

fastcat

It seems that this fix only works for IPhone 4 which is totally ridiculous if true.

Can anyone confirm if the tv out feature only works for iphone 4 or has someone been

able to get it working on iPhone 3GS?

jr9881

was getting sound and no picture.  have hd pro and using att.  decided it was be the aftermarket cables. was going to go get original apple cables but then tried uninstalling and reinstalling the already updated 2.1 app and it worked.  odd but that is all it took.  uninstall app and reinstall from app store.