14 Replies Latest reply: Sep 17, 2011 2:23 PM by ranaleon Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Unable to Hard Reset Slingbox Solo. Holding Reset button have no effect!!

Unicycl0ne

Hi folks

I have Dlink DIR-655 with Slingbox Solo.

This baby have been my media work horse for 2 years, then it started to misbehave - it will not get an IP after a Router reset. I've tried everything, only a Hard Reset will bring it back.  I have been living like this for half a year, then one day when my house go out of power, everythings comes back online when the power comes back up, expect for my slingbox.  Hard reset not long works, even if I hold the reset button for over 2 minutes. I check my Router Log, my Slingbox never asked for an IP from the ethernet cable. And hard reset does not bring the machine back to factory mode; the U symbol is always on, Network is always off, and the power is always on. This is the case for the past 3 weeks regardless of how long I hold the reset button or even with a 1 week power plug off.

What should I do? Is my Slingbox Toasted?

• Re: Unable to Hard Reset Slingbox Solo. Holding Reset button have no effect!!
          nshamim

I am having the same problem and it happened about a week ago.  I cannot reset the sling box solo even with the rest button.

jeschraan

I'm having same issue.  Does anyone have a suggestion of what to try next?

I purchased a new A/C adaptor from sling as suggested by another forum member. It fixed the problem.  I had measured the voltage output on the old one and with no load and it was 5.24 volts.  A friend in electronics explained that as power supply gets older under a load the voltage can drop beyond acceptable level and cause electronics to do weird things.  I strongly recommend purchasing a new adaptor for $19.95 to solve this issue! 

Message was edited by: jeschraan

shanj9 Newbie

I posted the exact same issue on this forum two weeks ago and have not gotten a response.  Is there anyone out there willing to take a stab at this issue?  I just spent $30 on the slingplayer mobile android app 3 weeks ago and I would really like to be able to use it. 

muzo178

Same deal on my solo. Won't get an ip, won't hard reset. Stuck in a limbo.

dickpost

I have a slingbox pro - hw ver 1.34.0 - ir blaster ver 2 - firmware 1.4.20  04/30/2010  -  slingplayer 2.0.4.521

(purchased in the USA)

The slingbox was originally configured on a linksys router  192.168.1.1    (slingbox 192.168.1.2) .  The first router is

a  modem/router  192.168.0.1   (which connects to the internet)   Sometime ago, I configured the slingbox on the second

router as I thought the linksys gave much better WI-FI performance and since we must have a PC on the same network,

the slingbox was cabled there.  Now, I want to put the slingbox on the first modem/router because of a much better bandwidth.

After connecting the slingbox to the first modem/router, I could not get the slingplayer (2.0.4.521) to intitialize, (webbased slingplayer

reacted in the same manner)   it keep asking for the admin password  (which I entered) , but sw said password was incorrect.

I tried the hard reset,  and I could see that the slingbox reacted to this, but still no slingbox setup functioning  -  now, it saw the

unconfigured slingbox,  but still the setup sw went to the admin password routine  -  to no avail.  I reconnected the slingbox back to the

second linksys and got everything working again 

NOW, here is the WORK-AROUND solution  (I think slingplayer 2.0.4 is bugged in this area)  no hw problems in slingbox

1 )  go to   http://placeshiftingenthusiasts.com/slingplayer-download-windows-mac-and-more/ and download  (I saved)  Thanks Eferz

SlingPlayer for Windows 2.0.4    and

Last Version of SlingPlayer for Windows 1.5.1.338 - US version    (maybe UK version works too  -  i did not test this)

2) de-install the slingplayer 2.04 from your PC

3) install the slingplayer 1.5.1.338

4) configure your slingbox   ( I accepted the proposed 192.168.0.237 by the setup)

remember to port forward  the 192.168.0.237  to 5001

5)  when all this works  -  de-install the slingplayer 1.5.1.338

6)  re-install the slingplayer 2.0.4

hope I have explained this ok  -  in any case, my slingbox pro works perfectly now on my first router !!

if someone finds this as a good solution  - please communicate to others,  cuz after reading lots of posts,

many users are having  this problem   -  what is lacking in many posts  is the firmware level and importantly

the version of the slingplayer sw

good luck

Allen

fvaughn

I'm trying it now using parallels on my mac.

XxBxX Newbie

Had this problem on a pro-hd. I replaced to power supply no problems since. I would suggest replacing the power supply. Sling has them for $30.

veeceegee

Hi everyone

I'm posting a response in the hope that this may help someone else, just like reading your responses helped me a lot - so thank you!

I have a slingbox solo which has been working perfectly for about a year. A couple of weeks ago, the slingbox stopped working (couldn't access through the slingbox player, and as our Foxtel cable network runs through it, we also had no Foxtel). The network light was faint which I assume was bleed over from the power light. I changed the network cable to no avail. I couldn't do a hard reset, no matter how long I held down the reset button. Nothing worked.

I live in Australia, and couldn't find a supplier with the high output required in the original sling AC adapter. I tried Jay-Car, **** Smith Electronics and Middys. In the end, my brother in law purchased an open box slingbox solo on ebay so I could replace the AC adapter.

Now we back and working perfectly. Good luck if you have this problem, I hope this answer can help you!

VeeCeeGee

bugspop1

I have a Slingbox Solo and have had it for years.  January 2010 we switched from Verizon to Comcast.  I didn't want to pay the money for an extra box in the room where my Slingbox was hooked up so it has just been sitting there.  I finally decided I wanted my Slingbox hooked up again (wife wanted to watch Nascar (Brickyard last week) at work).  When I tried to hook it up to a new box there was no connection.

When I looked at the Slingbox itself, I noticed both the Power Light and the Network Light were blinking.  I tried checking everything, tried a new LAN Cable, tried Resetting both Slingbox and my Router (one at a time and both together), also tried everything else I could think of to no avail.  I checked the troubleshooting here at Slingbox and it said to try the things I had already tried.  Finally came here to this Forum and saw this post.  I had a spare Power Supply, hooked it up and it's working again.  Never thought the Power Supply would go bad, but it did.  I'm listening to a program right now while typing this.  It's awesome to have my Slingbox back again!

Bill-in-Akron

I am on my third power supply for my Slingbox Solo.

I first started having problems with my Slingbox Solo in December 2010.  The symptom of the bad power supply can be one of three variations:

1.  The slingbox is totally dead; no activity  (be sure the wall outliet is live, of course!).

2.  The power light is on solid, but the network LED never lights even if the Slingbox is plugged into a known working network connection.

3.  The power LED blinks on and off about once per second, but the Slingbox is otherwise inaccessible.

You may not see the above symptoms until you unplug the power pack, wait about 30 seconds, then plug the power pack back in.

When the power pack starts to get weak you may experience an occasional lock-up of the Slingbox that has otherwise been running fine.  Unplugging the power pack for about a mintue and then plugging back in may result in the Slingbox working fine for a few days.  Eventually, the need to power cycle will be more frequent, then finally the Slingbox will become unresponsive with one of the three symptoms above.

There was a batch of Slingbox Solos that had bad capacitors inside the Slingbox itself.  Tech support at 1-888-GO-SLING can tell from your serial number if you have a unit that may have bad capacitors.  You should call and check if that is the case before you purchase a replacement power supply.  My Solo started actiing up, so Sling Media RMAed it because it fell in the range of units with potentially bad capacitors.  I still had problems, so they sent a replacement power pack, and everything is fine.  Now it is October 2011, and the replacement power pack is dead.  I borrowed the power pack from my Slingcatcher (which is the same model power pack) and the Solo booted right up.

There are obviously longevity issues with the the power packs.  The Slingbox Solo is otherwise a fantasic product.

Apprentice

Hi, Unicycl0ne and all

Use the link below for Sling Support contact information.

Contact Sling Media Support

Regards