18 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2011 11:33 PM by evilbyte Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Dead Slingbox Pro

magendim

Have a Pro unit that I used in the office for short term a while back, but then boxed it up and stored it for about 9 months.  Went to hook it up today at home, but power light just stays on even if it's factory reset.  Won't do anything else.  Unit seems to be basically DOA so support will only allow the $30 fee for them to tell me officially that it is dead and then another $70 to fix it. 

Seems like these units have died on other folks as well.  What a piece of ****.  You think something solid state like this would at least last a few years...

Anyway, I guess the $99 is cheaper than buying a new one....

• Re: Dead Slingbox Pro
          magendim

FYI, I did open up the box today.  Power supply holds at 6.1V when plugged in and no bulging capacitors.  Must be something else...

Apprentice

Hi magendim,

Please check the network light on the Slingbox. Try these troubleshooting articles and see if they help with the errors you're experiencing:

About the lights on the front of the Slingbox

The Network light on my Slingbox is blinking. What does this mean?

The Network light on your Slingbox is off

You also can check with a similar power supply to check if the issue persists.

Let us know how it works.

willyeh

My slingbox pro HD also no longer works.  the power light is on, the network light isn't on, and the logo light is permanently on.  I've unplugged it numerous times, and have also reset it numerous times, to no avail.  Any ideas?

cimb95

I have a Slingbox Pro which the network light went dark.  It will not reset.  I work in IT and have tried getting on 3 different routers, but NO network light.  After reading other posts I purchased a new power supply right from Sling.  Still no change.  Any suggestions now????

cimb95

Got so mad I dumped mine in the trash.  Mine died around Nov 20 also.  I better dig it out of the dumpster.  Already sold the power supplys I had for it on eBay.  But I can get another if there is a fix!!!!

Tobby

Hi, Your slingbox may not be dead, just short of breath. Long story short, unless you have a nice early version of the setup tool (such as version 2.0.191 ), then replace the powerpack with a suitably-rated one to give you 2 solid bright lights BEFORE forcing a reset to factory defaults.

The long story; Our SlingboxPro is 18mths old & has been left switched on throughout its life. When we recently tried to use it could not get a signal over the internet; looking closer the powerlight was ON but network light OFF -even after resets. So I assumed power supply issue.I initially tried a 1.2A regulated supply but that did not get the IP going. The manual says power supply is 2.5A but the OE supplied unit was rated 3.5Amp. I replaced the power supply (The "Stock" 3.5A unit was out-of-stock at Sling, & not freely available elsewhere so I got a generic 5000ma Universal Regulated Power Adaptor from PowerAdaptorsUK set to 6V). 3days & £27 later the 30sec startup routine talks to the router & holds both the power ON & network light ON..... which is nice.

During all the fun & games I had mistakenly made the factory reset. So I needed to reconfigure the slingbox settings......The current web version did not work with my main PC & the box looked dead, but fortunately I had the original setup files on a laptop which worked a treat. Happy days !:D

alecchin

Hi Tobby, I'm having the same problem and want to get the same power adapter as you but when I checked on ebay for the power adapter you mentioned there's quite a few. Maplins sell a range but they are £35. Do you know exactly which one it was you bought? Also, was it definitely a 5000ma as I can only see 500ma? Thanks. Alec

Tobby

Hi Alecchin

If you google "5000mA Universal Regulated Power Adaptor" you should find one from PowerAdaptorsUK. It does deliver a whopping 5amps peak, which is more than the rated max of 3.5A ( or 3500mA ) your Slingbox Pro needs. It comes with various end connectors - including the one you need. You do need to pay attention to align the arrows for the correct polarity when you plug the connector in, but if you are happy with a voltmeter then this is not an issue to test before you connect to your slingbox.

It runs very cool ( mostly 20C, but hottest spot is 32C ) & so I was happy to put in a sealed wooden box to eliminate the hint of high frequency mosquito whine you get with modern switched mode supplies.

NB The original slingbox supply used to run worryingly hot & much noisier - even in a ventilated place.

alecchin

Thanks Tobby, I managed to replace the power adapter and my Slingbox Pro is now working again. I was a lot luckier then some of the people who've had similar issues. I thought I was going to have to get a new one! Thank goodness for community support forums

evilbyte

Tobby wrote:

Hi, Your slingbox may not be dead, just short of breath. Long story short, unless you have a nice early version of the setup tool (such as version 2.0.191 ), then replace the powerpack with a suitably-rated one to give you 2 solid bright lights BEFORE forcing a reset to factory defaults.

The long story; Our SlingboxPro is 18mths old & has been left switched on throughout its life. When we recently tried to use it could not get a signal over the internet; looking closer the powerlight was ON but network light OFF -even after resets. So I assumed power supply issue.I initially tried a 1.2A regulated supply but that did not get the IP going. The manual says power supply is 2.5A but the OE supplied unit was rated 3.5Amp. I replaced the power supply (The "Stock" 3.5A unit was out-of-stock at Sling, & not freely available elsewhere so I got a generic 5000ma Universal Regulated Power Adaptor from PowerAdaptorsUK set to 6V). 3days & £27 later the 30sec startup routine talks to the router & holds both the power ON & network light ON..... which is nice.

During all the fun & games I had mistakenly made the factory reset. So I needed to reconfigure the slingbox settings......The current web version did not work with my main PC & the box looked dead, but fortunately I had the original setup files on a laptop which worked a treat. Happy days !:D

Thanks to the answers here, I was able to narrow down the issue to my AC adapter.  In my case, it was a case of laziness. I owned an older, non-HD, version of PRO.   When I upgraded to PRO-HD, I did not connect the AC adapter that came with the new model, but instead plugged the Slingbox into the old adapter thinking it would make no difference, and the new Slingbox DID work for 2 months before this network connection issue materialized.

I am now powering the device with the correct adapter and my Slingbox is working once again.  I did not need to purchase a new adapter, nor did I perform a factory reset.  Here is hoping I don't run into this again a few months from now!

ib.

davidisom

Hi, I have had this problem today.  POWER LIGHT ONLY no network and reset button ineffective.  The router knew there was a connection but it would flash only nothing on the slingbox at all.

I purchased a new generic power supply it cost me £15 GBP and all is now well.  I had had the box for around two years and it was always on.  I decided to but an line supply switched mode slightly overated so it would have that bit extra current than needed.

Given the cost of a repair or new box well worth the chance.  I asked the supplier of the psu if they would take a return so really i could not lose.

very happy

hope this helps someone else.